forum

New player problem with keyboard + mouse

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MouseOnlyHD
Hello,
So I recently started playing osu! quite a lot and from when I've started I used mouse only. I can beat ~3.5 difficulty maps with only mouse, but when using keyboard + mouse I can barely do 3 stars. I'm quite comfortable with what I am using currently, but would rather avoid inconveniences in the future.

Is it such a disadvantage to use mouse only instead of keyboard + mouse?
Pawsu
I'm moving this to G&R. Please read the Forum Guidelines before posting.
scrain8
Mouse is just fine as long as you can hit every situation that comes. Can you use left and right click and still maintain mouse control. Are your clicks fast enough. My playstyle with mouse is left click and tap z and x for streams(as of right now) vs most who us only tap z and x. You will know once you start playing maps with a variety of situations if you can maintain your playstyle or not. It's going to take time.
Sandy Hoey
I think that most players will agree that mouse and keyboard is more advantageous than mouse only. But that isn't to say that it is impossible to get good with mouse only. If you want to get better with keyboard, you just have to keep practicing. It is definitely different because you have to split your attention between your mouse and keyboard. I think it is worth it in the end
zeno61
If you can play just fine, just keep at it. But it would be hard to do long streams with just a mouse w/o keyboard, or on lots of triples on harder difficulties.

Using the keyboard can lessen the burden on your mouse hand though; your keyboard hand will focus on tapping on the beat while your mouse hand runs around the screen. It wouldn't hurt to try it out as a back up some situations.
cocoalatte
Depends on how far into the future you're planning to keep playing for. You might hit a wall past 5* maps but otherwise, keep doing what you're comfortable with!
O Pie
Doing fast spaced streams on only mouse is insanely difficult. Your hands will be effected by the clicking motion to a certain extent and this will hurt your precision of cursor movement.

If this is a concern, switch to keyboard.
Aceyda
Im guessing it's because you're used to tapping with your right hand and when you change to your left hand it just takes some time getting used to. Trust me, though, It's gonna be worth it in the end when you learn it properly. Try some easy stream maps for an example
diingus
I never had this problem when I started, as I'm one of those weird people who tap their fingers with music in their heads :)
I suggest you do the same, hum along a song in your head and tap with your left hand's fingers with the music, after a while it'll come naturally.

Really it all comes down on personal preference. Sometimes you'd like to play with mouse buttons because you're too lazy to focus on your left hand as well, and sometimes when you get the hang of it, you'd wanna do all kinds of tapping with your left hand. In the end, after 10 hours of playtime you should figure out exactly which you like better.
dung eater
clicking 1 mouse button is easy, but alternating requires a lot effort to aim at the same time

it's probably easier to learn to alternate/tap using your other hand because you can use 2 more fingers to grip mouse in a stable manner
Paneiru

diingus wrote:

I never had this problem when I started, as I'm one of those weird people who tap their fingers with music in their heads :)
I suggest you do the same, hum along a song in your head and tap with your left hand's fingers with the music, after a while it'll come naturally.

Really it all comes down on personal preference. Sometimes you'd like to play with mouse buttons because you're too lazy to focus on your left hand as well, and sometimes when you get the hang of it, you'd wanna do all kinds of tapping with your left hand. In the end, after 10 hours of playtime you should figure out exactly which you like better.
Tapping to the rhythm is actually quite hard on easy and normal maps that are aimed at new players because the maps are heavily undermapped and sometimes do not adhere to rhythm as means to simplify the maps. https://youtu.be/tchb7Gm1_lY it is the right mindset however to rely on the song and rhythm to accurately hit notes on insane maps and above.

For the mouse vs mouse kb I would suggest trying to get used to mouse + kb. I could point out several high ranked mouse only players, and I do also know one personally myself, but in the end I still think it's way harder to play with mouse only despite how far people has gotten with mouse only. Just the action of clicking on the mouse might affect the movement of the arm, and as other people has stated this has a negative impact on streams. I've tried playing mouse only myself and I experienced my hand twitching a bit when clicking, and streaming is just stamina draining. Just aiming while using keyboard can be stamina draining for me on intense jump maps. Besides if you play mouse + kb you always have the option to try out tablet + keyboard later on if your desire so.