forum

Accuracy for newbies

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[Gaia]_old
New mania player here. Should I bother with accuracy that much? I have a 99.9% accuracy and I feel that it's too high, because I see other people usually with 94~96%. I assume that it's because harder charts are well, obviously harder to get perfects. Should I just focus on learning the patterns and building stamina and decreasing my accuracy or should I try to keep it up? Thanks :)
Tripletth
Well, you're never going to learn more complex patterns or build.stamina if you're going to keep playing beginner level maps.
Try challenging yourself by playing maps that are slightly outside your skill range.
Dez_old_1
^ What Tripletth said.

You will still improve by trying to keep your accuracy high, however that improvement is going to be much slower than if you consistently challenge yourself.

tl;dr: decrease accuracy
Yuudachi-kun
I go from 90% on charts up to ~97% then I go back to the harder ones I get A's on until they're at 97 again and repeat.

My accuracy is horrible as a result but improve fest 8-)
abraker
You can either try to push yourself to do harder maps or you can float around easy maps getting into top 50 now and then. It depends on what you want to do. Though as of right now the acc you are achieving isn't even slightly impressive until you get to around the 4* range.
yetii
I usually play maps that are slightly too hard, when i get comfortable with them raise the bar again and after a while come back to them. Usually the 95% acc plays will change into 98% or higher since the patterns will be alot easier because I got used to playing harder maps.

So play harder maps and come back now and then to improve acc on easier maps
lunaion
I am new to the game as well but my accuracy is completely shit. I keep hitting 200 even for notes that are easy, any help timing better? sorry if i am hijacking this thread
Caput Mortuum

lunaion wrote:

I am new to the game as well but my accuracy is completely shit. I keep hitting 200 even for notes that are easy, any help timing better? sorry if i am hijacking this thread
Holy shit you have alot of As. Try to play maps on those skill range before moving to the harder ones, the one you got B on.
yetii

lunaion wrote:

If you are consistently hitting early or late, you might want to try adjusting your scroll speed, changing the ofset or changing the hitposition of your skin.
Bobbias

lunaion wrote:

If you're not using the timing meter, I highly suggest turning that on, since that will show you whether you're early or late. Other than that, it looks like you're just playing songs that are hard for you. If you play easier songs, your accuracy on easier songs will improve, but honestly, it looks like you're doing a decent job of pushing your skill by playing stuff on the edge of your comfort zone, which is actually something I suggest new players focus on in the beginning.

Accuracy will come naturally as you play more and push your skill higher, although sometimes it doesnt hurt to practice on easier stuff and focus on improving accuracy on the easy stuff too.
lunaion
Thanks for the tips guys, I think I will try to improve on 3-3.5* maps a little more. I readjusted my offset settings a little but it seems like my error bar shows that I tend to hit too early for easier parts and too late for harder parts, so I am not too sure if it will help. I play on 28(fixed) btw.
Bobbias
Hitting late on harder parts is normal and makes sense. What's likely happening there is that your brain is taking just a BIT too long to figure out what keys to hit (you reading is a bit slow, not enough to kill you, but enough to delay your ability to hit the notes on time). That happens to me very often, and I've been playing these kind of games for a very long time.

As for hitting early, that probably means you're not paying close enough attention to the music itself. That suggests to me that you're focusing on the visual cues for timing, not the music. Ideally you should try to focus more on using the music itself to time your notes, but you can also try lowering your hit position (judgement line) a bit.

I won't say that's 100% exactly what's going on, but in my experience that's the most likely reason for those issues. Ultimately, it's up to you to figure out what the problem is and find a solution that works for you. However, assuming that's what's happening I've got some suggestions for ways that you can try to deal with those issues.

If you want to train yourself to use the music more, I'd suggest trying to play with hidden (or flashlight) on and hitsounds turned up a bit, to make them easier to hear over the music (if you do this, you should make sure that your hitsound do not have empty time before the sound happens, and you might need to set your global offset differently if you use hitsounds for helping timing too heavily).

For example, I play with flashlight, and I have my global offset at -20 to compensate for hitsound delay to some degree. If you use flashlight, you'll want to lower your scroll rate to probably half your current scroll speed (or maybe a bit faster, whatever you think will be comfortable). If you pick either hidden or flashlight, you'll need to play with it on all the time for a while in order to fully adjust to the effects of the vision mod (and it is slightly risky. many players are unable to switch back out of using vision mods once they get completely used to them.)
Topic Starter
[Gaia]_old
I'm back with another question! First of all, thanks for the advice, I've been challenging myself with harder songs and patterns. Anyhow, I'm starting to get into 2.5* right now and they're kinda kicking my ass in terms of speed. I can read most patterns, but my fingers sometimes don't follow the steps, guess it's just a matter of playing more.
My question: what accuracy should I be striving for in these harder 2* songs? I'm usually getting 96~97%, and if I push myself I can get 98% in some of them. Should I be aiming for 97% overall? Thanks! :D
Ayaya
If you want to increase rainbow ratio then what you should do is play multiple maps with no audio that is so easy that you can FC (Full Combo). Try to play naturally, don't worry about the end accuracy percantage. When you are done with a map at the result screen, hover over the graph and it will tell you your Error and Unstable Rate. Keep track of only the maps with around 100-120 Unstable rate (ideal if they are under 100). On the Error, "-" means you are hitting to early and "+" means it's late. If most of the maps with low Unstable Rates are mostly early or late then go into your skin.ini and change the hitposition (lower is early and higher is late, 402 is default I think). But if the maps are both early and late with low Unstable Rate then there is nothing wrong here.

Here's some example:
Map 1: Error -15.45 + 10.83 Unstable Rate 112.46
Map 2: Error -13.97 + 11.67 Unstable Rate 104.11
Map 3: Error -13.34 + 9.34 Unstable Rate 119.03
Map 4: Error -11.69 + 11.25 Unstable Rate 466.22

You won't include "Map 4" because if you look at the Unstable Rate, it is high (bad). Now if you look at "Map 1-3" you can see that for some reason all of them their Error are leaning more on the "-" side. What you do is subtract all of "-" by the "+" for each map:

Map 1: 15.45 - 10.83 = 4.62
Map 2: 13.97 - 11.67 = 2.3
Map 3: 13.34 - 9.34 = 4

Now you add all of the difference then divide them by the number of maps:

4.62 + 2.3 + 4 = 10.92
10.92 / 3 = 3.64

Now get the quotient, round it to the nearest whole number, and then apply this to your hitposition. Since we determine in the beginning that you were hitting early on the maps then you make hitposition lower by 4 (3.64 rounded).

If the maps with Error were leaning toward the "+" then you do the same thing but when applying to hitposition you make it higher since it's late.

Now if you want to see if your hitposition is fine then do the same test again. If the maps aren't leaning on "-" or "+" and are different for every map then it's ok. Here is example:

Map 1: Error -15.45 + 10.83 Unstable Rate 112.46
Map 2: Error - 9.11 + 12.67 Unstable Rate 104.11
Map 3: Error -13.34 + 9.34 Unstable Rate 119.03
Map 4: Error -11.23 + 15.02 Unstable Rate 111.22

Map 1/3 are on the "-" side while Map 2/4 are on the "+". All of these maps have low Unstable Rates so that means that hitposition is fine.

This is mainly to help with for visual accuracy, for audio testing you would have to go into the Offset Wizard and mess with that. Hopefully I explained this well enough~
ReTLoM
I miss a Thank you Function for your Reply Ayaya <3 thank you