forum

Increasing online favorites [Added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +12
Topic Starter
deadbeat
doesn't apply anymore. i'll keep though if u wanna read anyway
08:58 <deadbeat> : hello
08:59 <Derekku> : hi
08:59 <deadbeat> : just thought i'd ask first...you know how in the past there have been feature requests to increase the
08:59 <deadbeat> : number of favorite maps?
09:00 <Derekku> : yeah
09:00 <deadbeat> : is there a chance of looking over the idea again since the nunber of maps have gone up a lot/
09:01 <Derekku> : do you mean online favorites, then?
09:01 <deadbeat> : yeah
09:02 <deadbeat> : cause i thinking maybe a extra 5-10 for supporters?
09:02 <Derekku> : hmm I don't really think there needs to me more than 20 (used to be 10). Just seems kinda silly to list
09:02 <Derekku> : 30/40/50 maps, so there really has to be a cut off somewhere
09:03 <deadbeat> : i guess...
09:03 <Derekku> : I mean, you could make a feature request, but I'll post the same thing and I really doubt that peppy will add
09:03 <Derekku> : more
09:03 <deadbeat> : if thats what you think then i won't. i didn't make the post for that reason
09:06 <Derekku> : plus the favorites system was used last year to determine the best of 2009 ranking chart, so I don't see
09:06 <Derekku> : peppy increasing it for that reason too
09:06 <deadbeat> :huh..did not know that
09:07 <Derekku> : hmm I dunno he might not mind increasing it by like 5 or something, but I dunno :c
09:08 <deadbeat> : well if the favorites was meant for the 2009 best maps..maybe more favorites for the 2010?
09:09 <Derekku> : could be possible
09:10 <Derekku> : if you still want to make a thread, just present all of those different ideas :p
09:10 <deadbeat> : i'll save the chat log and post it
so yeah. discuss
Shohei Ohtani
inb4 Derekku goes "osht I didn't know you were actually gonna do it"
Galkan
I was about to ask for it yesterday as I noticed the max amount of favourite maps is set to 20 :-P

Though it has low priority, I support this.
Derekku

CDFA wrote:

inb4 Derekku goes "osht I didn't know you were actually gonna do it"
Nah, I said it was fine. :p
Zekira
IMO I actually think that limiting the amount of favorites is a bit of an absurd idea? I mean, why restrict such?
James2250
Yeah I don't really see why it needs to be restricted so much either
Behon
Agreed. There are way more than 20 maps I'd call my favorites.
NatsumeRin
a user's amount of favourties could be:

20+10 (if he/she's a supporter) + kudosu/30

just a suggestion.
Gabi
I'm just going to base this of the title but

peppy wrote:

I'd be happy to increase the limit to 20, but any more favourites than that doesn't make sense.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14792&p=165329&hilit=+online+favorites#p165329

then again there has been like a thousand new ranked maps that you might want to fav, idk.
Topic Starter
deadbeat
Derekku said that the favorites was something to do with the best of 2009 maps
IF there is a best of 2010 maps. wouldn't make a bit of sense to be able to increase the amount of maps we get to favorite for voting since the number of maps has gone up alot since the end of 2009
Colin Hou
support, the amount of map is increasing so fast
Guy-kun
I see no reason of having limits on the amount of favourites, if there is one, maybe just allow subscribers to have unlimited online favourites?

I log into different computers to play osu! sometimes and being able to have the same favourites there ready and available would be great, I loved having it until I realised there is a limit of 20...
Topic Starter
deadbeat

Guy-kun wrote:

maybe just allow subscribers to have unlimited online favourites?
i think thats going a little to far. as stated in the chat on the first post. the favorites were only there for the best of 2009. having unlimited online favorites is kinda OTT. i'd agree with this being allowed for supporter's only with a increase of maybe 5-10
Guy-kun
Ability to load favourites automatically from an xml file or something? ;D Then it can be hosted anywhere if its a matter of server strain
peppy
I like having a limit because it makes you think about which you consider the best of the best. Sure the overall number of maps is increasing, but you could just replace the maps you consider better into your favourites list.

I guess more to the point is what do we use online favourites for? If it is as I intended (to let other players know what you like) then it should be limited; noone is going to sit and read a list of 1,000 maps. If you are intending to use favouriting as a way to show your love to the mapper, then don't. This is what rating the map is for.

It is feasible to increase the limit a bit, though.
Guy-kun
That's a good point, the songs you can 'favour and give love to' should be limited then.
What about the possibility of just 'favourites online' (would need a different name) as a way of accessing your favourites anywhere?
Topic Starter
deadbeat

peppy wrote:

I like having a limit because it makes you think about which you consider the best of the best. Sure the overall number of maps is increasing, but you could just replace the maps you consider better into your favourites list.
fair enough

peppy wrote:

I guess more to the point is what do we use online favourites for? If it is as I intended (to let other players know what you like) then it should be limited; noone is going to sit and read a list of 1,000 maps. If you are intending to use favouriting as a way to show your love to the mapper, then don't. This is what rating the map is for.
What i was thinking was increase the online favorites for supporters by 5-10 as i stated b4 and making it so that the online favorites can only have maps ranked/submitted in that year and only as votes for the best maps of 2010(i like repeating myself don't i :o )
0_o

deadbeat wrote:

What i was thinking was increase the online favorites for supporters by 5-10 as i stated b4 and making it so that the online favorites can only have maps ranked/submitted in that year and only as votes for the best maps of 2010(i like repeating myself don't i :o )
noooooo

a) Most of my favourites were mapped before 2010 (and I know this is the case for most older players)
b) "Best of 2010" should really not be measured by number of favourites. You take any map and odds are 9/10 of the people who favourited it are newbies who have probably never played the hard difficulties. In most cases the number of favourites is directly proportional to how popular the song is, not map quality.
c) Even if there was going to be another "Best of 2010" using the same counting system (in which case it should really be called "Favourites of 2010") the purpose of favourites isn't to count votes for a chart - it's to show what your favourite maps are.

Also I don't really see a need to limit extra favourites to supporters, but that's all up to peppy I guess.
Topic Starter
deadbeat

0_o wrote:

b) "Best of 2010" should really not be measured by number of favourites. You take any map and odds are 9/10 of the people who favourited it are newbies who have probably never played the hard difficulties. In most cases the number of favourites is directly proportional to how popular the song is, not map quality.
good point
we COULD limit the votes to people who have met X requirements like 100 million points or sometime. but then thats unfair on the people who haven't got the requirements
I guess before we go any further. Peppy. will there be a best of 2010 maps and will online favorite maps count towards the votes?
peppy
If we have another "best of", it does not necessarily have to rely on favourites (though it would make sense?).
Topic Starter
deadbeat
how about we put this on hold til the both
A) another "best of" has been annouced
B) closer to the date
not much more point discussing this unless you don't mind increasing the online fav's regardless
this thread sound more like General Discussion/Off-Topic. or is it just me
Shohei Ohtani

0_o wrote:

aka: CDFA maps a miku map, gets a crapload of favorites. CDFA maps an actually decent map. Map gets no favorites.

<3.
Topic Starter
deadbeat
ok i'm gonna bump. 4500 ranked maps now :O
however best of 2010 long gone so ignore anything in this thread about it :p
fartownik
Bump I guess? Why not to raise the amount of favourites to 30 or even 40? Beatmap base is still raising and raising, more great beatmaps are being made and there's not enough spots for users to add their favourite maps (certainly for me). Not a very huge change and probably easy to implement too, but an useful step forward.
Natteke

fartownik wrote:

Bump I guess? Why not to raise the amount of favourites to 30 or even 40? Beatmap base is still raising and raising, more great beatmaps are being made and there's not enough spots for users to add their favourite maps (certainly for me). Not a very huge change and probably easy to implement too, but an useful step forward.
Bumping it again. I sometimes face a hard choice - delete the map from my list or not? Please, increase the limit a little D:
peppy
Increased to 50 for now. I'd like to make this number higher, but some UI stuff needs to change to allow for that.
OzzyOzrock
oh dear!
Natteke
FUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARK

thanks peppy
Topic Starter
deadbeat
wow. only just noticed this. >_<
thanks for the increase peppy