forum

Is your avatar ready for Christmas?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
Join in an ancient osu! tradition and haphazardly slap a santa hat on your avatar! All the cool kids are doing it, and have been doing it since.. 2009? A very long time, in any case.

You'll need a graphics program of some description. For those without access to Photoshop, Paint.NET is an excellent free alternative, and is what we will be using for the purposes of this little walkthrough. GIMP is also another option.

Here's how:

Step 1: Download the avatar-size santa hat template and save it to a folder somewhere on your computer. Image is courtesy of Wikimedia Commons, scaled down to fit most full-size osu! avatars.

Step 2: Save your current avatar to the same folder (or somewhere else on your PC) by going to your profile, right clicking your avatar and clicking Save Image As...

Step 3: Open Paint.NET (or whatever graphics program you're using), and open your avatar image with the program. You can also drag-drop your avatar from a folder on your computer directly into the program to load it.

Step 4: Drag-drop the avatar template image onto Paint.NET with your avatar image already loaded into it.

You will end up with something like this:

If you end up with white bars on either side of your avatar and the image size changes, your avatar is a bit too small for the default template size. You can open the santa-hat template in Paint.NET and resize it yourself using by hitting Ctrl+R, and adjusting the width or height depending. Make sure the "Maintain Aspect Ratio" checkbox is on, or the hat will end up wonky! If you've got a white bar to the right of your image, you'll need to reduce the template's width. If you've got a white bar on the bottom, you'll need to reduce the template's height. If you've got both, reduce both!

Step 4: Flip the hat to the orientation that makes the best sense for your avatar. For me, flipping the hat horizontal was essential to make the pom-pom fall the right way. You can flip the hat by going into Layers -> Flip Horizontal with the santa hat layer (top most layer) selected.

Step 4.5: If you flip the hat, your layer may deselect (the dotted outline box disappears from around the santa hat). If this happens, simply click the santa hat layer in the Layer box, then click the Move Selected Pixels tool (or hit M) , and click anywhere on the santa hat image.

Step 5: With the santa hat layer selected and the dotted outline box surrounding it, use the Move Selected Pixels tool (M key) to move the hat around your image. You can adjust the size of the hat by using the big circles on the corner of the boxes, and you can rotate the hat by holding down the right mouse button outside of the box and moving your mouse up and down.

A video example is here, if you're unsure. (WARNING: has sick cYsmix music playing)

Step 6: Align your hat nicely upon your avatar of choice.

Step 7: Click the Finish button on the toolbar above your avatar image, then go to File -> Save As. In the dropdown box that says "Save as type", choose the .PNG option. Rename your file to something that you can remember, then click save. If you are prompted to "Flatten", click the button that says "Flatten", then click OK on the save configuration screen.

Step 8: Upload your new, stylish Christmas avatar to the avatar page on your user profile and click Upload. You're done!
CookieBite
nice paint.net tutorial
Seijiro
Winter special tutorial x)
Brb, fixing avatar
Endie-
Can't wait to see all the hats :D
Starrodkirby86
Man, you really want people stylin' the Christmas hat this year! We should have more high time of recognition with this marvelous yearly spirit.
B1rd
But why do I have to do it myself when I can get the pushovers in the art subforum to do it for me?
Storyboarder
Good stuff.
Luqanted
Pawsu
holy fuck, thank u overlord
Flanster
Because GIMP is a donut
Zain Sugieres
No
Luqanted
Yes
Fellow
Don't think, that I can make my avatar ready for Christmas :(
Meah
easy paint.net advertisement :D
Kao

Luqanted wrote:

hey this is pretty good

brb changing

EDIT:
I made an art thread for anyone who doesn't know, or for those who doesn't have any photoshop, paint.NET, etc.
We have the same Template :) from Yui

@Luqanted
[img]https://puu.sh/sNZr5/ae844ecc78.png[/img]
MrAdamson45
now he is (with my own twist) XD
WingSilent
Got mine, but i used a nicer Santa hat, sorry. :3
Eagle_Peak
gh
Luqanted

Kao wrote:

Luqanted wrote:

hey this is pretty good

brb changing

EDIT:
I made an art thread for anyone who doesn't know, or for those who doesn't have any photoshop, paint.NET, etc.
We have the same Template :) from Yui
what no xD
i like urs better, its darker. give me it now :)
DeletedUser_3905941
nah
Foxtrot
Use realistic Santa hats, you heathens
Endaris
Come on, these beards are a blast too. Even better than the hats.
So hats off. Beards on!
StorBen
Is this haphazard enough?
7ambda
i've got one that doesn't involve santa hats or beards
StayFab
totally
Stefan
no
Jellyblob
x
Kao
Moved to page 1
BounceBabe
Since mid-November. Spent a whole day on my avatar and userpage banner owo
uwu owo
i think it's ready
Jukkii
hell yea
Annex
Am i doing it right?
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
Yes.
Repflez
Instructions unclear, used a sombrero instead.

I think it's ready
Kurai
sure
Shurelia
Yea.

Though I'm not following the instruction, sorry.
_Hatsumi
Other hat got better resolution, sorry. But at least it's ready for christmas :D
AUS-teisciitb
Not the best, but it'll do :)
[Lethal]
... Nope ;u;
show more