forum

Any suggestions for a laptop for school and OSU! ?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
zZGravityZz
Recently my computers mother board was ruined and though its a easy replacement my whole computer is out of date anyways, so currently I'm looking for a laptop thats good for school and OSU! So if anyone has a suggestion pleases help me out. :D
Starrodkirby86
Chances are, if the computer is good for osu!, it's more than likely good for school too. It probably helps to also ask for a budget and other needs. Like, do you want to have a laptop that's really portable?

Like, I mean, I'm a huge fan of the Surface Pro 3 and up, and they're generally excellent for school usage, especially in college, but those are really expensive.
Rurree
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K1 ... fb2386ff1f - Best thing you could get that's not a Chromebook, although it only has a 3 hour battery life at 75% brightness.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IQ ... bd2457f144 - Lighter and more powerful compared to the first one, although it's much more expensive. Great for school though since its battery life is longer.

I also think that the Surface Pro is a solid laptop for school, but yeah, it's quite expensive.
Jellyblob
x
Adorn
Yeah, definitely don't get a Mac. They're just overall not gaming computers of any kind.
Also be sure to read subforum rules before posting. I don't believe this is the correct forum.
Arospity
I have the Hp Pavillion 17 Notebook PC. Its a pretty good laptop as it runs pretty fast, but it dies somewhat fast. Its also around $400 (US Currency) so its pretty cheap.
Jellyblob
x
Luqanted
never buy a lenovo laptop
Knarf

Luqanted wrote:

Agree. My lenovo Y50 "gaming laptop" is completely shit.
Luqanted
my biggest mistake in my life is buying a lenovo laptop tbh
o x

Arospity wrote:

I have the Hp Pavillion 17 Notebook PC. Its a pretty good laptop as it runs pretty fast, but it dies somewhat fast. Its also around $400 (US Currency) so its pretty cheap.
^ Currently what I use, it's pretty good I recommend it.
Rilene

Luqanted wrote:

my biggest mistake in my life is buying a lenovo laptop tbh
well
shit
Rurree
It depends on what Lenovo laptop you get.
badscore_old
I have a Lenovo G50 and it's pretty good.
semaphore
why do you capitalize "osu"
Takoku
Anything can run osu! haha it ain't a demanding game. For school if you mean basically anything that can use MS Word and Powerpoint then yeah you won't need anything powerful.

I'll recommend ASUS and MSi but like if you're interested in playing any other games that would laugh at an integrated graphics card then if you have the money, I recommend the ROG II but even something with the relatively weak Nvidia GT940M will at least run nice games on low at 40fps, but the 960M is as much as you'd ever need.
kloe
get a touchscreen laptop and connect a mouse with it, as long as you can learn mouse and keyboard as well as touchscreen i think you'll be good to go
DryBones81
not much needed, you can run osu on anything so ye
get something from the price range of $500 and your good to go
win 10 is prob the os you use but if you want to do extra work then get linux lul
Chaosemerald
all i can say is don't get a toshiba satellite
idk how osu! will run, but i've had a lot of hardware issues with that kind of laptop (problem with speakers, mouse randomly not working, cd-rom drive suddenly won't work etc.) (i used to own 2 of those laptops)
Surono
dell

Luqanted wrote:

Sayorie
Get one with a good integrated processor since you'll be using that for lower frametimes despite whatever your GPU is anyway.
Nvidia Optimus or even some AMD ones have problems with osu! (based on experience with different laptops and also from other forum posts), providing significantly higher frametimes and dropped frames compared to using the integrated graphics processor of your CPU. I reckon it's because of how this game is programmed in the first place.

I currently have an i7-6500U GTX960M and I'm using the CPU's processor with an average frametime of 1.5ms +/-0.2ms compared to the GPU which gives out a terrible 4.0~5.0 ms. That case is the same with my brother's laptop with an AMD GPU.

Takoku wrote:

I recommend the ROG II but evensomething with the relatively weak Nvidia GT940M will at least run nice games on low at 40fps, but the 960M is as much as you'd ever need.
940M is at best a mid-range GPU. It's almost always recommended to play AAA games using this at 1366x768 resolution at low-mid settings, and this will net you a stable 60 fps. Most laptops with a 960M are quite overpriced, tbh. Best to get one during a holiday sale.
-Atri-
Futon
I would get something at least $500. Not just for the specs but for the overall quality build. The build quality is something you can't be sure of since the best idea you can get is from the reviews. For instance a $600 laptop includes intel i7, Nvidia GPU(any kind), and 12 GB RAM; sounds like a pretty good deal right? A laptop with those specs usually costs around at least $800 so that $600 laptop probably has a crappy build and probably won't last you more than 2 years. Overall, look at the specs and how it correlates to it's price. That should be a good indicator of the quality.

To be honest almost any windows laptop should suffice for you. But try to be sure of the quality of the computer you're going to buy. (check reviews!)
show more