forum

[resolved] [Solved] Can't find the name of Intel ICD OpenGL driver

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
NeVMiku
Solution: Downgrade your Intel HD Graphics Driver.

Problem Details: Whenever I start osu! with GTX 960M I get the error message "Can't find the name of Intel ICD OpenGL driver" dialogue box. I can't press the "OK" button on the box as the cursor is always "busy" spinning whenever I mouse over it.

osu! opens fine with iGPU but runs like shit with occasional cursor position reset while playing, stutters, lag, etc.

No, there is no crash screen. I had to end osu!.exe in Task Manager.

Shift-clicking to open the repair tool thingy also results in the same dialogue box with slightly different appearance.

Also happens with Stable (Latest), Beta and CE.

Specs
i7 6700HQ
8GB DDR3 1600MHz
GTX 960M 2GB
Windows 10 Pro OEM

All GPU drivers updated. Used to have 369.xx now 375.70. No difference.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: 20161101.1beta
OBDavid
Same problem

Processor: Intel i5 6300HQ
Graphiccard: Nvidia Gtx 970M
Windows 10
Kao
See if this thread helps
t/518686
Topic Starter
NeVMiku

Kao wrote:

See if this thread helps
t/518686

Are you serious? Really?

You wanted me to start another thread only to be redirected to the same one I was on? REALLY??????

Please go away. You're not helping at all.

Pawsu
Huh. This seems to be an occurring error lately.
Hold shift while opening osu!, and when the recovery dialog opens, try enabling the option "compatibility mode". This do anything? If not, try switching to Stable(Fallback). Any luck there?

OBDavid wrote:

Same problem

Windows 10
I don't think this is the same problem. I'd make a new thread for your problem.
Topic Starter
NeVMiku

Pawsu wrote:

Hold shift while opening osu!, and when the recovery dialog opens, try enabling the option "compatibility mode". This do anything? If not, try switching to Stable(Fallback). Any luck there?
First off, your cute avatar is gone! Why?
Secondly, shift+clicking it results in the same problem. The dialogue box appears but no crash screen.

Fallback is fine. But I'm not playing on that. >.>
Pawsu

NeVe12p4wNeD wrote:

Secondly, shift+clicking it results in the same problem. The dialogue box appears but no crash screen.
This one isn't cute? :(
And if I'm understanding the OP correctly, the same thing occurs when you try to open the .exe repair osu! found in your osu! folder?
Topic Starter
NeVMiku

Pawsu wrote:

NeVe12p4wNeD wrote:

This one isn't cute? :(
And if I'm understanding the OP correctly, the same thing occurs when you try to open the .exe repair osu! found in your osu! folder?
There is no .exe for the repair tool directly, only osu!.exe with -config shortcut which I assume is what you're talking about. Same result. The dialogue box comes up and hangs so that I had to End Task.

Also I've always run osu! with Compatibility Mode. I find it to be smoother.
Pawsu

NeVe12p4wNeD wrote:

There is no .exe for the repair tool directly, only osu!.exe with -config shortcut which I assume is what you're talking about. Same result. The dialogue box comes up and hangs so that I had to End Task.
This is actually pretty strange. It worked correctly a little bit ago, right? Have you updated or installed anything that could have caused this?
Topic Starter
NeVMiku

Pawsu wrote:

This is actually pretty strange. It worked correctly a little bit ago, right? Have you updated or installed anything that could have caused this?
About a few days ago it worked fine.

On the 28th October I had "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3197954)" update. And 10 days before that (18th) I had the "Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3199209)" update.

As always, Windows doesn't really tell you much about their updates but upon looking into the KB codes I found on this site that there is "Addressed additional issues with USB, Wi-Fi, clustering, setup, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 11, licensing, PowerShell, Component Object Model (COM), Windows kernel, graphics, and Bluetooth."

On the other hand I can't find any information about KB3199209.

I did not install nor remove anything.
Kao
Whoops, I linked that thread above because it was solved by rolling back updates.
Most recent updates of version 1607 seems really buggy. There was another thread with the update 1607 has started to make his client do the same exact crash.
I'll have to look for a while to see if the problem is caused by the update or not

The only thing I can think of is waiting for updates or going back updates :/
OBDavid
Maybe this update could be the problem
Kao
I have found a lot of threads that concern the KB3197954 update, and most of those problems were addressed with another game throwing in the same error.
The difference is what fixed it was through updating Java which I don't think helps here, since osu! Doesn't heavily rely on Java.
I have also taken note that there isn't a really definitive fix for this, since it's really specific in a certain degree.

OBDavid wrote:

Maybe this update could be the problem
Translation: Update Installed Successfully
I have found articles that relate to updating of drivers obtained through Windows Update and the error appearing.
Yet it was for a failed update, and the articles are really old.
https://m.reddit.com/r/vaio/comments/3y ... iver_help/

average_mitch wrote:

I factory reset my computer because it just wasn't up to snuff and I wanted to make sure everything had been properly installed, etc. Anyway, I bought it with Windows 8, so a few updates were required (23). After successfully installing 22 of the 23 updates, one would not install...
  1. Intel HD Graphics Family / 4400 Update, Version 10.18.10.3316
A message appeared with the title:
"Can't find the name of Intel ICD OpenGL driver"
Followed by the message:
"Intel HD Graphics Family / 4400 Update, Version 10.18.10.3316 did not update"
https://github.com/LWJGL/lwjgl/issues/119

4rz0 wrote:

I can confirm Case 2.
Specs:
  1. Windows 10 Pro release, most recent (10.0.10240)
  2. JRE 1.8.60 x64
  3. Intel HD Graphics 3000
  4. Intel drivers from May 2015, obtained trough Windows Update (9.17.10.4229)
Take note that they are really old articles, with the case of updates being the sole cause. Since they're old, you can't say that the problems caused in the links are the same exact here. However, I have reason to believe it could have caused it again.
t/518686

cherrypie01 wrote:

I have tried everything there but those didn't help. It seems for some reason my Intel graphics driver deleted itself or something. I recovered to a week ago and the problem seems solved. Maybe a Windows update caused it? Anyway thanks for your help.
The cases above and the circumstances are very close, with the same OS version and with Intel HD

feedthebeast wrote:

I took a stab in the dark and shut off the Xbox Game bar integration by turning off the DVR options completely. Low and behold, it worked. It seems that there may be an issue for some people that when the DVR is enabled (which it is by default)

NeVe12p4wNeD wrote:

Kao wrote:

See if this thread helps
t/518686

Are you serious? Really?

You wanted me to start another thread only to be redirected to the same one I was on? REALLY??????

Please go away. You're not helping at all.
This link was for OBDavid, sorry if that looked like I was tricking you. But the log shown was same of that thread.
His problem is the same now in that thread. With the problem caused by an update.

Pawsu wrote:

SPOILER

OBDavid wrote:

Same problem

Windows 10
I don't think this is the same problem. I'd make a new thread for your problem.
I think they're the same t/518686 this thread where OP first posted and the OP from that link itself throw in the same error, in which OBDavid had the same log.
Could NeVe12p4wNeD post their crash log (if any) here aswell?

Within said thread, the log means this
The runtime throwing a NullReferenceException always means the same thing: you are trying to use a reference. The reference is not initialized (or it was initialized, but is no longer initialized).
This means the reference is null, and you cannot access members through a null reference.
This could be referenced to the ICD Driver not being found.

Bottom line?
I really can't pinpoint a real fix to this anymore. But since it's caused by updates, rolling back updates until new updates that (hopefully) fixes these are addressed.
This has been spreading suddenly, and they're always concerned with a recent update.
Try restoring to a previous version or update.
Nub1
if windows update is the main cause, why don't you try to update it again? mine on KB3199986 and doing fine.
Topic Starter
NeVMiku
Thanks for the reply Kao. I'll try updating it again as Nub1 suggested, if not I'll rollback.
OBDavid
I just installed an older Intel® HD Graphics 530 driver and now my osu works.

Maybe this works for you too https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... duct=88345
Topic Starter
NeVMiku

OBDavid wrote:

I just installed an older Intel® HD Graphics 530 driver and now my osu works.

Maybe this works for you too https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... duct=88345
Confirmed works on my laptop. Downgrading the Intel Graphics Driver fixed the problem. I don't know why though because I'm running it off dGPU in the first place...
Pawsu
I'm really glad you were able to solve it. This was certainly a weird problem. Thanks, OBDavid! I'll make sure to keep this in mind next time this error pops up.

Marking as resolved. You don't have to manually mark it yourself -- a support team member or lurking GMT will do so.
Kao
Glad to see my hardwork of research was correct ;)

This is interesting, but I'm sure Intel will do an update very soon and will fix the problems
Kitsunex
I too had this problem and when I installed the older versions, osu worked again

However, after sleeping my computer and waking it up the next morning, it seems the error is back
Kao
Since this is resolved, you should make a new thread instead.
show more