forum

Hit Skill Plateau :( Any Suggestions?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ron_mario
I know people hate these threads and I'm gonna get a bunch of "play more" answers so I apologize in advanced, but I have been stuck at rank ~27,000 for quite some time now. Usually what happens is I'll be stuck for about a week making very few ranks and then one day I'll get a few thousand ranks by playing really well. Rinse and repeat. This time, though, it feels different. I've been stuck for about 20 days and I haven't been playing very productively because I'm getting tilted. If someone could check my profile and P.M. me how they think I could get better it would be much appreciated. I would really like to keep improving and ideally I'd like to find a higher ranked mentor, but I'm getting ahead of myself here. All replies are appreciated. Thanks!

TL;DR: I've been stuck at my skill level/rank longer then I usually am and I don't feel like I'm making progress. Looking for advice or even a higher ranked mentor!
7ambda
Yeah, I hate these threads.
Endaris
You didn't hit a plateau.
Topic Starter
ron_mario
brb killing myself
7ambda
QUICK SUGGESTION

DONT USE PP AS PROGRESS INDICATOR
Endaris

F1r3tar wrote:

QUICK SUGGESTION

DONT USE PP AS PROGRESS INDICATOR
You're getting him wrong.
His pp is rising, just his rank is not.
Must be a plateau then.
kurodahatsuharu
your chart don't look like a straight line, so you don't hit anything.
Xyrus_old_1
Challenge yourself with maps you struggle with, ignore playing for PP until you can feel a significant improvement.
DeathHydra
Hitting a skill plateau is expected. Nothing we can do about it. Just keep playing
B1rd
My suggestion is to not ask in G&R, they couldn't help you if they tried.
KupcaH

B1rd wrote:

We can.

Play more, ok

The better you get, the more time it requires for improvement.
Or somethin' like this.
Rektango
if you think thats a skill plateau, then you must be really impatient

play more
N0thingSpecial
You can improve in more ways than one, improving a certain skill set push your skill ceiling in general, try something different, try long maps, low BPM maps, stream maps, technical maps, old maps, read heavy maps, try hidden, easy... Like just play differently

And play more
dung eater
you can't get better if you don't try
Topic Starter
ron_mario

B1rd wrote:

Where could I find someone who is willing to help? I'm so tilted and I'd really like to be able to have someone to ask for help, advice, etc.
Fxjlk

ron_mario wrote:

I know people hate these threads and I'm gonna get a bunch of "play more" answers so I apologize in advanced, but I have been stuck at rank ~27,000 for quite some time now. Usually what happens is I'll be stuck for about a week making very few ranks and then one day I'll get a few thousand ranks by playing really well. Rinse and repeat. This time, though, it feels different. I've been stuck for about 20 days and I haven't been playing very productively because I'm getting tilted. If someone could check my profile and P.M. me how they think I could get better it would be much appreciated. I would really like to keep improving and ideally I'd like to find a higher ranked mentor, but I'm getting ahead of myself here. All replies are appreciated. Thanks!

TL;DR: I've been stuck at my skill level/rank longer then I usually am and I don't feel like I'm making progress. Looking for advice or even a higher ranked mentor!
The higher you go the longer it will take to climb. Many newer players also get frustrated with this as they get used to climbing fast. Patience and enjoying the game will make the game less frustrating.

You are at 3.5mil hits and are 27k rank, unless you are playing offline it doesn't look like you are actually stuck compared to other players with a similar number of hits.

B1rd wrote:

lol
KtkC
If you're using ranks to determine your skill that's only part of the story

The higher you go into ranks the more active players you get per 1000 ranks

Here is an example. None of these numbers are real.

In the 1000 players between rank 7,999,001 and 8,000,000, you'll see 50 monthly active players. They got to that rank and stopped, so it's easy to pass thousands of people at a time.
In the 1000 players between rank 5,000 and 6,000, you'll see 900 monthly active players. These people put in a significant amount of time to get this high, and it's less likely for a person rank 5,000 to quit than someone who just started and are rank 8,000,000. The person who spent 5 years on this game is far more likely to have an attachment to it ;)

All in all the high-rank users could be:
1. inactive, and are free-falling in rank as others catch up - that means they must've been even higher up before
2. inactive, literally quit yesterday
3. active, and are working their way up, just like you, which naturally makes it harder due to more competition.

With regards to actual skill barrier, I have no comment since you're much better than I am :p
Rektango

ron_mario wrote:

B1rd wrote:

Where could I find someone who is willing to help? I'm so tilted and I'd really like to be able to have someone to ask for help, advice, etc.

honestly the only thing i can do is recommend you to this guide
https://www.reddit.com/r/osugame/commen ... ank_after/
Sayorie
Being stuck at a rank/pp doesn't mean your skill level is not improving. You're just not making significant scores at the moment which should affect your rank/pp. In my case, I can't FC shit so I'm not moving ranks at all, but I noticed that I can hit farther jumps and read better (after removing the followpoints).
Kunino Sagiri
If you can 98% FC some random pp jump maps or random pp jump maps with streams, you would be a 4 digit player in a single day. A lot of people here are dissing 5 star TV size maps saying they take no skill but continuously FC'ing those maps are actually the basic requirement for being a 4 digit.
7ambda

ron_mario wrote:

Someone willing to take the time to look at your specific needs.
Clappy
I do agree, the TV sized maps are a good indicator of weather or not you can be four digit, but take it from me. Unless I take the time to load up a TV sized map I rarely set scores on maps that are longer and that is a true indication of skill - can you fc something longer than 75 seconds? I recently nuked my tablet area because I felt I regressed after months of practice and I'll climb again in no time. Only you can tell yourself what you're doing wrong, then make the stance to fix it. In terms of changing area, last resort. Other than that, play what you're bad until you're no longer bad at it and the ranks will come naturally.