forum

I've started out completely wrong, how should I correct this

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
K-Wang
No words can describe the extent to which I have played incorrectly.
I started out on around 3 star maps and moved up to 4-5 star maps as soon as I could not die on them, would typically get around 78-86% accuracy, never really FC'd anything at all.
I can whack-a-mole AR9 but AR7-8 is a struggle for me to read now as a result.
I had 11/11 Windows mouse speed and pointer precision on, also mouse set to 6100 dpi.
I clicked with my left mouse button and only ever used ZX for streams.
So uh, what should I do to correct my technique when I've made pretty much every mistake that is possible to be made?
I've taken off pointer precision and am lowering my dpi by 500-1000 every so often, currently at 3600, goal is 1200-2000.
Trying to only use ZX, also I've moved down to primarily playing maps that I can FC by sight, 2-3 star, and only moving up in difficulty if I can consistently reach high accuracy (95%+) and get close to FC on a certain AR and OD.
Is this the right way to go about this? Is there anything else I should be doing?
I apologize for my sins.
Gigo

BaIIsDeep69 wrote:

...and only moving up in difficulty if I can consistently reach high accuracy (95%+)...
It's different for every person, but I would not consider 95% as "high accuracy".

BaIIsDeep69 wrote:

Is this the right way to go about this? Is there anything else I should be doing?
I can't be of any help when it comes to DPI, since I have no experience with that (my mouse doesn't have changeable DPI), but it seems that you have, more or less, taken the correct steps to improve your playing. You are on your way of becoming an osu! rhythm champion!
ithgyu
wtf why are you moving down to maps you can fc by sight, play 4-4.5 star maps. People here will tell you that you should only play stuff you can fc. Fuck that, normals are nothing like hards, hards are nothing like insanes, insanes lay the groundwork for extra, so work on that if you can play that. You shouldnt exclusively play this, also do stuff that you can fc, but most of your time should be spent challenging yourself until you can play 5 star maps, then you can work on building up consistency and becoming a well rounded player
Williemeister
I cant really comment on your DPI cause im not a mouse player. But i highly recommend playing harder maps, you improve much faster playing harder maps. Getting fc's on 2-3 will not really help you improve and move up to harder difficulties.
Xyrus_old_1

BaIIsDeep69 wrote:

I've taken off pointer precision and am lowering my dpi by 500-1000 every so often, currently at 3600, goal is 1200-2000.
This is fine, but don't forget to set Windows to 6/11. I'd also recommend turning on raw input and aiming as low as you possibly can with DPI until it feels like the mouse is barely responding, then simply go back up until you find a comfortable DPI that lets you do fullscreen jumps and small, slow movements as easily as possible. It will take a while to find your ideal DPI, but for most people, it's no higher than 1500.

BaIIsDeep69 wrote:

Trying to only use ZX, also I've moved down to primarily playing maps that I can FC by sight, 2-3 star, and only moving up in difficulty if I can consistently reach high accuracy (95%+) and get close to FC on a certain AR and OD.
Playing for easy FCs is fine, but there's nothing wrong with challenging yourself with maps that you suck at, so long as you know what you need to do in order improve, i.e. if you know why you're making every 100/50/miss you can focus on fixing those errors and improve.

BaIIsDeep69 wrote:

Is there anything else I should be doing?
Play more AR6-8. Learning to read properly is a headache at first, but quite fun once you can do it. You'll probably find that you come in early every single time at first, so don't think about coming in at the right time. Instead focus on the approach circles and try coming in late. Eventually, you'll start getting a sense of how much later you have to tap to get the right timing. If you keep practicing this regularly, your brain will slowly adapt and you'll begin reading automatically without having to concentrate.

BaIIsDeep69 wrote:

I apologize for my sins.
Your sins have been committed by over 90% of the osu! community. We were all scrubs at one point. :(

BaIIsDeep69 wrote:

No words can describe the extent to which I have played incorrectly.
Never underestimate G&R, wordless scum! 8-)
Domo3311

ithgyu wrote:

wtf why are you moving down to maps you can fc by sight, play 4-4.5 star maps. People here will tell you that you should only play stuff you can fc. Fuck that, normals are nothing like hards, hards are nothing like insanes, insanes lay the groundwork for hards, so work on that if you can play that.
first time ive seen a person say such wise words :,)
StephOsu
tbh playing something you can pass with shit acc is good for improvement, especially at that rank range, but once you can start passing 4.5*+ consistently you might want to go back to 3*+ from time to time (be sure to ignore 2*+ since they are mostly useless past teaching you the very basic like how to aim and click) to practice your consistency and control so that you don't end up being inconsistent (and abandon AR8 reading) with some bad habits remaining
I forced improvement upon myself when I was 200pp by skipping 1* and 2* and decided to spam that one and only 3* map that I play during that period of time until I could pass them.
I still don't know why I did that, but iirc it only gave me some minor bad habits which took me few weeks to get rid of.
anyways you are going on the right approach on the most part, but don't forget to have fun with hard maps if that's your thing.
"Play more" and "plz enjoy game" might sounds like meme but it's 2 of the most useful general advice ever to improve on this game