forum

R-map, random patterns and noteplacement in one map

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Adder
R-map is a mix of 2 or more normal maps, for example:
Map A: pattern 1, pattern 2a
Map B: pattern 1, pattern 2b
Both maps are compressed into just 1 map, called map R, when map R is played, the game randomly give you either map A or B to play, this results in the map has a random pattern 2, you can't just blindfold and clear it. An R-map is not repetive like normal maps, making it less boring and have more replay value, especially if it is from your fav song. The R-map itself can't be ranked but the maps it is made of can.
Frozen_Rhythm
is it too different from the random mod? Or did I didn't get your idea?
Seijiro
Random note placements don't work on standard maps, since there is a logic behing placing each object.
If you were referring to something like:

- I start the map playing map A
- after 10 seconds it switches to map B
- repeat the opposite way around till the end

In such case, I'd say it makes more sense, but I feel like it wouldn't be the best experience and you won't gain much from it either imo.
Topic Starter
Adder
For example, there are 179 maps mapped for one song, these maps are created in a way that they are VERY SIMILAR to others, there are 179 maps in the song folder but the Song Select will show JUST 1 MAP for you to play (this is the R-map). When an R-map gets played, you are randomly given 1 of the 179 maps to play, and because those 179 maps are SO SIMILAR to each other map, the map you play would feel very random (you dont even know which you are playing out of the 179).
Note that all 179 maps are legit mapping to the song (requires more effort on the mapper).
Frozen_Rhythm
well this feature is also good but really requires a lot of effort. hmm, I don't oppose your idea, but I honestly don't know how will it contribute to other players since I'm a mania player.

Let's wait for thoughts of standard players.
Starrodkirby86
That reminds me of how tokyoEVOLVED had three different versions for its climax section, and when selecting the song, it was random in which one of the versions it was going to be.

osu!stream's casual mode difficulties kind of offered this sort of pattern-switching when you got promoted or demoted to different difficulties, so I can see there's some interesting merits in the idea overall.

For a mapper like this that likes to create unique, tricky, and/or gimmicky patterns over the usual emphasis and notes, I can see it as a pretty fun gimmick overall.
Bara-
This sounds pretty bad. Diffs are made to be played themselves, not with other diffs
If an easy has a not in the top left, and then moves to bottom right, that'd be weird right? It'll cause a huge jump, which is hard to read for newbies
Topic Starter
Adder

Bara- wrote:

This sounds pretty bad. Diffs are made to be played themselves, not with other diffs
If an easy has a not in the top left, and then moves to bottom right, that'd be weird right? It'll cause a huge jump, which is hard to read for newbies
Each map is made individually, pls read again
Caput Mortuum
dunno.. how would you rank this?
Bara-
Ohh, so that's what you'll mean
But I don't neccessarily like all diffs, nor do I want to play easier diffs
So basically it's like "Press f2 when this map is the only one which is being displayed"
If that's the case, f2 is a better option than having more diffs
Starrodkirby86
Hmm. I think the perspective that Adder is looking at can be approached and understood when thinking a beatmap is like a level in a video game.

So let's take Super Mario World's Bowser's Castle, for example. In Bowser's Castle, the level is designed where you must pick between Rooms 1-4, then pick between Rooms 5-8, and then go through the dark room to face Bowser. So if we were to section that off as a linear sequence, a player can play a sequence such as [Room 2 -> Room 5 -> Dark Room -> Bowser], or a player can play a sequence such as [Room 3 -> Room 7 -> Dark Room -> Bowser]. These rooms are more or less equal in the difficulty they bring and offer unique mechanics that challenges the player in different manners.

Now imagine that the room choice is actually randomized, so if the player were to play Bowser's Castle, they could get a sequence that's [Room 1 -> Room 8 -> Dark Room -> Bowser], or they could get a sequence that's [Room 2 -> Room 7 -> Dark Room -> Bowser], and so forth.

Imagine that Bowser's Castle is the beatmap, and those "Rooms" are the sections in a beatmap. So if I were to play that beatmap, I could get a different combination of sections that provide an interesting blind and unique take when playing.

If that interpretation is correct, then it's a pretty gimmicky feature that seems like it'd be fun for multiplayer. Scoreboards don't sound as practical on this since it's unfair to lump all of them as the same exact challenge (certain patterns will have different note counts or difficulties to others), but as an interesting gimmick mechanic it has merit.
Bara-

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

Hmm. I think the perspective that Adder is looking at can be approached and understood when thinking a beatmap is like a level in a video game.

So let's take Super Mario World's Bowser's Castle, for example. In Bowser's Castle, the level is designed where you must pick between Rooms 1-4, then pick between Rooms 5-8, and then go through the dark room to face Bowser. So if we were to section that off as a linear sequence, a player can play a sequence such as [Room 2 -> Room 5 -> Dark Room -> Bowser], or a player can play a sequence such as [Room 3 -> Room 7 -> Dark Room -> Bowser]. These rooms are more or less equal in the difficulty they bring and offer unique mechanics that challenges the player in different manners.

Now imagine that the room choice is actually randomized, so if the player were to play Bowser's Castle, they could get a sequence that's [Room 1 -> Room 8 -> Dark Room -> Bowser], or they could get a sequence that's [Room 2 -> Room 7 -> Dark Room -> Bowser], and so forth.

Imagine that Bowser's Castle is the beatmap, and those "Rooms" are the sections in a beatmap. So if I were to play that beatmap, I could get a different combination of sections that provide an interesting blind and unique take when playing.

If that interpretation is correct, then it's a pretty gimmicky feature that seems like it'd be fun for multiplayer. Scoreboards don't sound as practical on this since it's unfair to lump all of them as the same exact challenge (certain patterns will have different note counts or difficulties to others), but as an interesting gimmick mechanic it has merit.
That would require breaks to happen in all diffs at the same time, as switching midway will mess up the gameplay a lot
Starrodkirby86
osu!stream handled it by having consistent bookmarks between difficulties to represent switching points. As such, this would have to be its own unique map creation, as opposed to retroactively applying to some existing map, which could have various different bookmarks or something. xD
Bara-
Wouldn't those bookmarks limit the creativity of mapping? Since mappers are forced to have objects at the same place and keep a consistent flow, they have much less options to do around those areas
Starrodkirby86
I think we can still consider the fact that there can be multiple locations to maintain flow and not necessarily one ideal location at every time. And with that different location being picked, the further possible patterns and structure that can be made from that grows.
Seijiro
How it got explained by Starrodkirby sounds actually interesting, although it requires (obviously) more work from the mapper, but hey, even if it can't get ranked players could have fun with the leaderboard anyway now that the "loved" cathegory got implemented
Bara-
There you have a point actually
Paxas_old
Bump
But I think F-map is a better term (as in Flexible)