forum

Fall 2016 Anime First Impressions Chart

posted
Total Posts
show more
blissfulyoshi
Kaijuu Girls: I have no idea why, but I found this slightly amusing. It is your typical low budget short, but I might as well try 1 more ep.

ViVid Strike!: Seven Arcs decided to return to their roots tried to make a new series based on Vivio, using the similar elements as the original Nanoha. It is a bit confusing on how the setting of this seems to be an alternate universe, but the fights were passable and it has Ogura Yui and Inori Minase. I believe Seven Arcs can make it work, otherwise give me s4 of Dog Days pls.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Show By Rock!!#: I only even watch this because I watched the first season, and I like to torture myself. Everything that was wrong with the first season still appears to be wrong with this one, and it already appears to be getting worse. The giant robot really took the cake for being what the actual fuck.
blissfulyoshi
Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku: For how well this animated, I expected something to well happen (Animation isn't that great, but it is above avg). I hope there is tension of some kind soon because there was barely any in the ep. Will give it another shot based on the solid animation.

Nyanbo! A boring short involving Danbo with cat ears in real life scenes. Not sure who the taret audience is, but I can see any real drama happening nor any jokes to entertain me.

Shuumatsu no Izetta: Incredible animation, but it is a retelling of WW2. The MC is very proactive, so a big plus there. However, not sure how much of a political drama I want to watch right now.

Tiger Mask W: Not sure why someone is trying to big back old animation styles with old styled plots in some extremely questionable wrestling show (how do you slash someone's chest in normal wrestling). Oh well, definitely not the target audience. I couldn't stand watching it.

Monster Hunter Stories: Ride On: I know this was a show meant for kids, but having the CG look like it was lagging and unfitting made the show feel even more awful.

Bloodivores: The first of the 2 adapted Chinese web comics this season, and well, it is as absurd and ridiculous as you expect it to be (admittedly there are a lot of changes from the original, and explain things terribly). Don't expect much from this show, but I might keep it around as a guilty pleasure.
Shurelia
First time doing this, Hi.

WWW.Working : Since I really satisfied with the last Working! series, this show really give me some hype and yes! it really give me what I expected. The smoother graphic, new hilarious characters and some new plots developed. I hope there are more romantic couples happen on the future since that what I'm really looking for.

Bloodivores : Not really a fans of this kind of anime but for some reason I want to find out how this show gonna end. Hope it didn't give me anything that makes me dropping this show.
blissfulyoshi
Bubuki Buranki (part 2): I didn't really like S1 that much, but I finished it. And well, S2 seems to be starting on a better foot with some fun new personalities, and a good lack of the old wimpy mc. Whether or not this season will be better though, is a different story.

Magic-Kyun! Renaissance: Reverse harem, male idol show, not my genre of choice but was worth a shot I guess. Sadly, they cheap out on a lot of the animations needed to make the experience magical, and I don't really like the singer.

Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume Low budget "moe" ping pong anime with a lack of fun jokes. If the manga had more translations, I would have rather read that instead so I get quickly go through the jokes.
xxdeathx
Shuumatsu no Izetta - Quite a fun adventure for a first episode. Loved following along and the music that accompanied it was great. Hope the rest of the episodes can be like this but it feels like it will slow down the pace after this one.

My Wife is the Student Council President+ - just as good as I remembered it :thinking:

Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku - Feels generic but I keep hearing that I'm supposed to expect something later

Vivid strike - some of those girls look a hell of a lot like the ones in pleasure treasure o.o
Shurelia
Okusama ga Seitokaichou!+! : Yes, Watched the previous season and enjoyed it. Gonna get same "enjoyment" through this season.

Alright that's all that I'm gonna pick this season since today's season is not really "my season" after all.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Soushin Shoujo Matoi: The combination of themes is interesting, to say the least. I experienced a lot of "what the fuck is this" and "oh okay that's why that makes sense". Really not sure what to think about this one yet.
blissfulyoshi
Gakuen Handsome: I don't think I ever watched such an awful short before, ugly art + super low detail + lack of anything happening.

Nanbaka: I couldn't find any of the jokes entertaining at all. It was just random not funny jokes about a terrible prision escape with vibrantly colored bishonens.

Soushin Shoujo Matoi: You know, if you're going to make an original series, cater to your strengths. In a season with decent budget mahou shoujo shows, doing a show with mediocre jokes and lackluster action scenes isn't going to get you anywhere. In face the only thing that stood out in the ep was the hilariously horrible Engrish.

Nobunaga no Shinobi Another boring short.

Ao Oni the Animation: A very strange gag series very loosely based on the events in the game. Since I never played the game, I don't really get the jokes in the show.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Nanbaka: The designs and colours of the characters and environment are interesting, but that's all this series really has going for it, and that was really all that kept me interested into finishing the episode. The personalities of the characters is barely defined enough for what is going on to even make sense. There doesn't really seem to be much of a plot yet, and it doesn't look like there will be much of one. I'm pretty sure this series is going to be based around a lot of gags and jokes, none of which yet are particularly funny.
blissfulyoshi
Brave Witches: Silver Link's attempt at making a full series of Strike Witches. Not too much to say. Most of the CG was fairly clean, but there were times I wish it was better and/or contained more detail. Still it contained all of Silver Link's dynamic lighting, so it really helps in setting up the mood. As a fan of the series I'll watch, but it is not a strong rec by any means.

Cheating Craft: Did they seriously need to spend an entire 12 minutes to introduce what the comic did in a normal length prelude chapter. Plus the gimmicks used in the preview felt so much easier to catch that what they showed during the comic. Whiles scenes did contain detail, there was a lack of decently animated animation, and with how much they butchered the intro, I think I'm better off just reading the comic.

Bishoujo Yuugi Unit Crane Game Girls Galaxy: As awful animation wise as S1. Not worth watching.

Anitore! XX: On of those plotless shows where a girl tries to talk to the viewer, not my cup of tea.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Hibike! Euphonium 2: I already was in love with the first season, and I'm just as in love with the second season already.

Brave Witches: This is really only to watch if you're already a fan of the series, and since I love Strike Waifus, I will continue to watch this.
blissfulyoshi
Kiitarou Shounen no Youkai Enikki: Another badly animated, not interesting short.

Keijo: A very strange start at ch30, and probably plans to aim for ch 87 to finish the series, a lot of chapters and it shows. A very rushed episode with typical lackluster Xebec animation quality. However, it does contain some of the ridiculousness of the original series, so it might work out.
DeletedUser_6709840
Occultic;Nine: So far, the aesthetic looks like it's going to be a good anime but until I watch it I won't know for sure, I'm interested.

Keijo!!!!!!!!: This is probably going to be a generic ecchi repeat of the past the the almost sports element to it does intrigue me that it might be different due to there being a lack of a dull male MC and seems to hint more towards actual plot. Until I actually watch, i will not know though.

Yuri!!! on Ice: After the first episode, I'm hooked. The story for once isn't set around a high school sports team and has a unique MC when it comes to his personality. He's a more timid and lovable character that I feel is more realistic (and then there's the other Yuri who seems to be of the protagonist stereotype that is to be along side the MC). Sports anime tend to always have overly confident MCs that claim they will be the best at what they do and instead went with an athlete who's ready to quit the sport only to meet his idol who is interested in training him to be the best. I have high hopes for the story to become in-depth and meaningful for once in the sports anime after so many have tried to copy Free! with fan service and top layer plot. Also, the animation is spectacular with very fluid scenes when it comes to the actual ice skating as well even comical animation at times. I can't wait for the next episode.

WWW.Working!!: I'm interested in this one because some slice of life has yet to catch my interest yet but also the animation looks pretty as well.

Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru: I have a feeling this is gonna flop but I think I might watch it out of curiousity since futuristic anime is improving.

Watashi ga Motete Dousunda: The animation doesnt impress me but the idea of a reverse harem around a fujoshi catches my interest because I am one, I might watch.

Gakuen Handsome: The whole point of this anime is satire and i'm hyped for just that fact.

Anitore! XX: No... just no. Its basically a poor effort to make anime more interactive.

My opinions might change after watching some of these but these are my thoughts so far.
YTYuyu
WWW.Working!!: As a fan of the Working series, I was expecting the "weird" traits from the workers and it never failed to disappoint me. Definitely sticking around to watch more of this!

Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume: ehh~ the design of the characters is meh...if you're familiar with Yuyushiki the design is a lot similar. I'm sticking around for now because i wanna see how the characters develop overtime.

Yuri!!! on Ice: err...no. as much as i wanna see how the main character develops, I get chills and cringes just from watching the first ep alone. I'm a fan of the sports genre but this is going away from my expectations :(
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
FLIP FLAPPERS: Yet another series that I am back and forth on with thinking it could turn out interesting or be kind of shitty. The use of colours is interesting, and that can be a big factor into what makes me continue watching a series. There is the perfect level of cuteness in the girls that fits really well with the theme and style, so it has that going for it.

KEIJOU!!!!!!!!: My opinion on this is very biased because I have a weird thing for concepts as over-sexual and bizarre as strategic ass and titty fighting. I really like ridiculous concepts.

ALL OUT!!: This is the most interested I have been into a sport anime in a while. I saw Madhouse and a sport anime together so I had a lot of hope that it would be interesting. It is a nice change to have this genre be a bit more outgoing and intense compared to a majority of what has come out in recent years.
xxdeathx
Soushin Shoujo Matoi - i saw white fox and thought i'd give it a try but i dunno what direction it's gonna take. could be good or could be dropped

Ping Pong Girls - I've played table tennis for years so I had to check this out...not really good

Nanbaka - pretty funny i guess, nothing special but i enjoy watching it

Keijo - You gotta give em credit for coming up with something as stupid as this. two main girls look like tohka and origami from date a live

Flip Flappers - the hell did I just watch? the hell is with all these magical girl shows this season whose intended direction i can't
make head or tail of

Brave Witches!! - brings back the good memories of strike witches =w

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

colours
why do you have this flag
blissfulyoshi
To Be Hero: Literally toilet humor with terrible animation, no.

Flip Flappers: That felt like a bad attempt at an acid trip. It wasn't random enough. The characters were faiirly boring. The backgrounds are awful, and the animation was lackluster. A lot of stuff I don't want wrapped up in 1.

Yuri!!! on Ice: I never understood ice skating dances, and this show proved to me that I still have 0 clue how their dance is supposed to sync to the music. Regardless the show was really well choreographed and fairly detailed on a lot of backgrounds. However, the mc and the op made me angry to no end, and the 90% of the episode felt incredibly boring to me. Maybe for someone else, but definitely not for me.

Trickster: While the series was really jumpy in pace, for the low standards of this season, it has some of the better animation, and a slightly interesting super power. I don't like the attitude of the mc, but it is understandable. I thin it is worth giving another ep.

Bernard-jou Iwaku: That was a weird random spouting of facts. I might have laughed more if I knew the books, but I sadly don't.
Yukisa_old_1
Hibike! Euphonium 2
blissfulyoshi
Lostorage Incited WIXOSS: Such clean and detailed backgrounds from a JCStaff show that is not Railgun, amazing. They really stepped up the budget on Wixoss and made a much nicer looking arena and world. Sadly, I don't feel this story being as dark and ridiculous as the first, but we'll see.

Mahou Shoujo Nante Mou Ii Desukara. 2nd Season: I found this to be strangely more entertaining than s1, so I might watch some more.

Chi's Sweet Home (2016): It tries hard to be cute and fun with the full CG setup, but Chii comes off as a jerk half the time, hurting my enjoyment immensely.
YTYuyu
Longriders!: We'll see how this turns out. I was expecting them to be in some sort of cycling club from the looks of the cover and opening alone not yet. I'll see how this pans out since it interests me.

Keijo!!!!!!!!: Get around the ecchi aspect of the show, which involves boots and butts and it's an enjoyable first episode IMO.
Navizel
Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku and Keijo - lmao
Shuumatsu no Izetta - Fuck brooms. Guns are the new shit cause America.. or Germany.
Hibike! Euphonium and Haikyuu!! - fuck yes sequels. Sequels are the only reason fall 2016 is bearable.

Not even going to bother listing the shows I dropped before the ten minute mark.

@Kyonko, The new Working is actually the original one.
blissfulyoshi
ClassicaLoid: How much can Beethoven/Gintoki/Sugita Tomokazu carry a show? He and the randomness of certain parts of the show are the only thing keeping it alive, but the random musical humor was fun. However, the rest of the show was lackluster. Skimming the show each week might be worthwhile, but we'll see

3-gatsu no Lion: Yay, a silent boring male surrounded by too much angst, exactly what I want in my shows......... Dropped

Drifters: Decent action, but not a fan of the artstyle and way too reliant on knowledge of jp history.

Sengoku Choujuu Giga: Not funny low budget short.

Occultic;Nine: A very DRRR take on "scientifically" backed murders. Felt like a weird turn for the series, but something that might work.

Long Riders!: Surprised to see a moe show that has very little humor these days. And her addiction to bikes is unnatural for a person who seems to have never owned a bike before.

Stella no Mahou: One of Silver Link's low budget shows of the season. Animation took a heavy hit. And while some of the jokes fell through, a good chunk of the episode was quite entertaining. I'll probably stick around and watch it.

All Out!!: The unnatural heads popping through the fence looks way too unnatural and way too many stills for a sports series. I don't really know of any positive to say about this sports series, so another easy drop for this season.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
ClassicaLoid: Music puns hit me right in the feels. A lot of this first episode felt oddly disconnected and poorly put together, and gave me an uncomfortable anxious feeling just from how some of the scenes were. It has nothing to do with the design or colour, but the transitions, angles, and even some of the animation and pacing made my brain feel anxious.

3-gatsu no Lion: Something about their mouths bothers me... This series almost seems a bit too depressing for its theme, but I still feel like this could turn out to be a decent watch. The extreme happiness of the girls causes a weird imbalance despite them being an obvious light to balance out Rei's darkness. The protag is more than just a bit boring and uninteresting than I'd like.

Occultic;Nine: Another concept this season that could go in a direction of being interesting but also not working or being bad in the end.

Stella no Mahou: A less than good "feel good" series that is still decently amusing to watch.
blissfulyoshi
Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari: I rarely understand the appeal of raising a child or taking over the family business. This show had both with nothing really special about each (the guy also had some really outdated udon making tools. You would use an automatically moving knife or a pasta maker to make consistent noodle sizes these days)
Jindujun93
3-gatsu no Lion: I'll keep it simple: Shaft and Shinbo messed up something once again.

Bungou Stray Dogs: The first episode was actually surprisingly decent this time around, considering how annoying S1 was too me. The misplaced comedy is still there, and I very much suspect it'll slide down into the red territory once more when the comedy gets more focus again (which it inevitably will), but for now it is the okay time waster I wanted S1 to be.

Drifters: Speaking about an okay time waster with misplaced comedy, that applies to Drifters as well. I'm watching it with a friend to just laugh about the absurdity and gore it'll have, and in that regard episode 1 did just that. Not sure how it'll do in the long run, but it did enough to prevent the red for now.

Flip Flappers: My inner Gainax fan is very pleased with this. Seems to mostly keep its hand hidden for now, but the visuals more than just made up for it in the first episode. I'll hope they'll build on that and improve from here - if so, it will keep the green.

Haikyuu: It's Haikyuu. Nothing needs to be said at this point, because its quality is just so ridiculously consistent, and consistently high for that matter. As a reader of the manga I know how this season will go, and still look very much forward to it.

Hibike! Euphonium: Yeah, for now it's good. I did not love S1 as much as most folks did, but can still say I like it - and I got more of just that with the first episode. There'll inevitably be some heartbreak in the end should they go for the same ending as the novels, but for now I'll just enjoy all the Kumiko x Reina I can get.

Long Riders: I actually enjoyed this, and think it could improve throughout the season. I'll see how it goes.

Natsume Yuujinchou Go: See Haikyuu. Natsume Yuujinchou's quality was ridiculously consistent as well, and to me even higher than Haikyuu's. Getting another season after all those years is just a very nice treat, and this is already one of my two AotY candidates for 2016. Let's see whether Natsume or Rakugo will win in the end.

Ping Pong Girl: I was hoping to get something like Saki, just with Ping Pong. To be fair, it can still turn into it, especially as this was just one episode... but for now it fell flat.

WWW.Working: Sorry, I love the original Working cast too much, and as such the new guys (even if this actually came into existence BEFORE the previous Working) didn't really have any impact so far. Will still keep watching simply to see what they'll do with it.
Yohanes
Okusama ga Seitokaichou!+! Oh, yeaaahh. Bring the bewbs

WWW.Working!! As a fan of this Working franchise, I'm glad to see this kind of settings again. But for me the story felt very rushed and didn't give much time to make a meaningful relationship with the audience, which is the most important things on SoL anime. I can't say I hate it because it's still only my first impression

Hibike! Euphonium 2 Oh yeah, If you like the first season you're gonna like this too.

Keijo!!!!!!!! Lol, I never expect that I'll greened out this anime. Despite of all the fanservice (which isn't much, surprise surprise) that was a very enjoyable first episode, all the characters are likeable and those fighting scene is much better than i was expecting, let's see what this show will bring though

Long Riders! In a nutshell, this show is like Bakuon!! (show that I completely hate) with less sexual reference, no motors (bicycle instead of motorbike) and better character (which is subjective). I try 2 to 4 more episode to decide whether I'm going to drop it or not

I don't have time to watch any other show, but I probably will add several more first impression in the future
blissfulyoshi
WWW.Working!!: I just didn't feel it was funny. Admittedly I might have gotten tired of Working since I didn't even finish s3, but a majority of the jokes fell through for me. (Also, how does someone get a prime number when they multiply 8 by an unknown single digit number)

Watashi ga Motete Dousunda: I don't understand Fujoshi jokes, so pretty much everything in this show went over my head.
Adder
Teekyuu 8
Luqanted
Okusama ga Seitokaichou!+!: I loved the manga version so far and I loved the first series, hoping this one will give me a 10/10~!
Adder
Bernard-jou iwaku
EneT
Drifters: Well, it's made by the same person who made Hellsing so there's that. I watched the OVA and read a little bit of the manga and the feeling I get from it is basically Hellsing without vampires so I'll see how the animation goes. Story is kind of generic and over done (Guy from the real world gets transported into a fantasy world) and the comedy doesn't seem to be translated well from it's manga form as it feels really out of place in anime form but I'll let it slide since I've been longing to watch something Hellsing-esque anyways.
Shurelia
Getsuyoubi no Tawawa : Mmh, Didn't expect that there's another show that I could pick for this show. It's a short one yet quite enjoyable. I love the girl (somewhat unique) art since I saw that on the manga. I REALLY hope the story won't be as depressing like the manga.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Natsume Yuujinchou Go: It's Natsume, I've liked all of the other seasons, so I really don't feel like this is going to be much different from the others, but in a good way.

Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari: Could you really even call this raising a child since the kid isn't a real child. Series of a similar genre with the child raising can produce some really light and "feel good" ones, but this didn't feel good at all.
EneT
Keijo!!!!: I didn't read up on anything about this anime so I had no idea what it was about when going in. I thought it was an anime about swimming when I saw the picture so I decided to check it out but I got something completely different. Kind of disappointed that I didn't get a swimming anime but I'll settle for this. I don't really care if the plot is shite or whatever, it has butts, it has alot of butt zoom-ins and I like butts, I'm a lover of butts, did I mention that I like butts?
Anyways, I like butts and the ecchi in the anime so far is the right type of ecchi. It doesn't drown you with random panty shots or erotic looking boobies; it doesn't randomly place ecchi moments to give the male viewers fan service and instead integrates the ecchi into the plot. Alot like Shokugeki no Souma in a sense. I generally don't like ecchi since they're so full of cliche but when it's used in a smart way, I don't mind.
-Atri-
Girlish Number: While Chitose gives me a hit for her personality for this show, the plot is somehow boring, is more like i am trying to watch a child growing up, not pretty much major events happens, having some jobs.... little chit chat.... and then eating and drinking.... I know it's a slice of life anime but i only liked the protagonist's personality

Keijo!!!!!!!!: As far, This has been one of the most creative concept of sports i ever seen, although it's kinda like Girlish Number, which kinda like to watch the main protagonist improving, but at least it doesn't really bored me out tbh.

Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku: I can't give a detailed description on that, maybe i should say that i really liked Nemurin in this show? Or Snow White doesn't give a fuck on anyone who did to her? idk. nevertheless, it's oddly satisfying

Stella no Mahou: The op and ed song, yes, but the plot, no, i almost want to give a red on this show, but what i only liked though is it's jokes and lolis, not pretty much impresses me

ViVid Strike!: Man, It's so satisfying to watch someone punching others, especially in ep4 when one scene is a bloody mess
Adder
Mahou shoujo Ikusei Keikaku: not a first impression, watched 12 eps, it is insanely amazing.