forum

Poll 37: What peripherals have you tried using to play?

posted
Total Posts

What peripherals have you tried using to play?

Pen Tablets
46.65%
Touch Tablets
15.68%
Console Controllers
14.72%
Aftermarket/Custom Controllers
4.21%
Official Rhythm Game Controllers (Wii Tatacon, KOC)
5.16%
Handheld Consoles
3.44%
Midi Controllers
2.68%
Other (Let us know!)
7.46%
Total votes: 523
Polling ended
Topic Starter
Nyquill
From custom built mania controllers to handheld consoles, players from within our community are always finding new and interesting ways to play our game! Despite pen tablets being the obvious weapon of choice for most players within the standard community, we want to know what kinds of crazy things you have tried before.

Because I know for a fact that you guys will have without a doubt find a way to go out of the bounds of what this poll has options for, please let me know what kinds of things you have been trying yourself in the thread if you don't see it listed! If I see something really cool, I'll be sure to put your creation into the last weekly of the month.

Special thanks to ephemeral for taking #36

Just a friendly reminder: DRILLS THAT PIERCE THE HEAVENS (and spin rate) ARE CHEATING

But let us know anyway.
Pawsu
I just use a plain pen tablet. Funny enough, I actually had a tablet prior to me discovering osu!
TakuMii
I remember being good enough to earn PP on a laptop trackpad... good times. Honestly, if there's anything that Apple does right, it has to be their trackpad hardware.

As for now: Just a pen tablet and optical-mechanical keyboard for me. I do enjoy playing osu!taiko with a PS2 Tatacon every once in a while though.
Starrodkirby86
At first, there was no Z/Xing to tap circles with, so, in blasphemy, it literally was, "click the circles". We had this old Logitech mouse that was like from the early 2000s to play osu! with. As my sister purchased a Wacom Bamboo Fun, I just wanted to try playing osu! with it. This was probably around mid-2008. By late 2008, I played on a Vista computer my parents purchased, which came with your standard HP mouse and keyboard. Those worked for years, until that mouse's clicking got eaten up. When All-In-One computers were getting to the market, I just had to try osu! out with them, and took my game on a USB and played on display computers in stores without trying to get caught. xD

I actually was one of the first 500 for the osu!tablet shipment, but at that moment, I primarily used it for drawing. I have a Wacom Intuos CTL480 now, but that's also used only for drawing – no osu!playing whatsoever. Just gotta stick to that mouse and keyboard combo. Can't teach an old dog new tricks otherwise. ;)

I have also tried those keypad controllers, which helped satiate my curiosity for mechanical keys too. :)
Surono
Console Controllers but.. ahhh :'D
Sies
I just use a touch tablet. And i've fun with that lol xD
Thonkung
I once played osu! with a trackball
Seijiro
I guess just pen tablet and mouse (I played quite a while with mouse, actually. At least 30k of playcount is with mouse)
Frim4503
just played with mouse and keyboard
6_6
Most of the time I play Taiko with my keyboard, but at times I connect my Wiimote, plug in the Classic Controller into it and just jam out with it. It works suprisingly well.
Voor
Once I used a guitar hero control on autopilot.
Amaikai
mouse for aim and analog stick on controller for tapping. figured binding to stick would allow streaming by just rotating analog (didnt work).
Midnaait
I tried to play taiko with a DDR pad
I almost fell to my doom
bwross
I've tried a number of silly things... trackball and trackpad of course. I managed to pass a couple of short standard maps with keyboard only (ie using the arrow keys to control the cursor).
abraker
Tried touchscreen and trackpad and I should try out a Wiimote now that I think of it.
Purplegaze
Mouse
Eidea
Used to be a mouse-only player, but have since switched to combination of the standard keyboard and mouse.
iridi
I play exclusively with a touchscreen (an HP Envy x360 laptop).

I used to use a tablet + keyboard but it's not as fun.
Espionage724
- HP 2-in-1 tablet/laptop
- Huion H420 graphics tablet
- Synaptics touchpad in absolute-mode
- PSP connected as a controller to a PC
- Nexus 10 over Splashtop (worked really well actually)
- Taiko no Tatsujin Wii drum
- Wiimote (with cursor tracking; didn't work to well iirc)
- Random touchscreen AIO computers inside Staples and Best Buy stores
- DIY touchpad involving a webcam and a laser (I don't recall this working well at all)
- Scanner
- Remote control over KDE Connect (horrible)

I would like to try out my dance pad one of these days; I imagine it would work decently with osu!mania if I map it DDR/ITG-style.

My main set-ups include just a KB and the H420 tablet, and my HP 2-in-1 when I want to do touchscreen. I kind of want to do something like an osu!arcade if osu!stream for Windows releases.
jellyfrill
I've owned a tablet for a while doing digital art, discovered OSU then used it for standard.
I don't recommend any variation of an intuos5 since they're made sensitive for art/graphics/photo manipulation.
Tried a windows 8 tablet, OSU only opens as a white screen.
Tried the touch screen on my computer, works and its fun but I have to hold my arm up/screen is bad for jumps.
Trackpad is too slow.
Lyllannah
I first played standard with my touch screen but I broke it and now it's just a normal screen. After that I played with a mouse and now I play with my Intuos comic. But I generally play with my keyboard since I'm a mania player. :3
KWYJIBO
i only really use keyboard and mouse, i tried using only mouse for a while then realized what a bad idea it was when i tried taking on streams
micajoeh
I played CTB with a balance board. That was one hell of an experience. Im also working on a mania arcade-style cabinet for a scholarship, so We'll see how that goes.
Jude
i just go with mouse + keyboard. i tried a pen tablet but i don't know, it hurt and i couldnt even move it properly so gave that up
Charre
I use a keyboard and wireless mouse. I tried a controller once but failed miserably.
ferret irl
wiimote master race
Sebaex
Things tried:

• Play different modes with an app on my LG G2 (it worked)
    Play O!M with an USB controller, IIDX pad from PS2 (the console, not the connector)
    Play Osu! on a touchscreen tablet with windows, beside of the port on android
    And more things that i don't remember :D
LastExceed
played on a touch screen for a while... currently building an arduino metal plate keyboard controller with a friend

Oh also I play 4B in standard (ring/middle/index/thumb)
ExMono
Keyboard Laptop is the best solution to upgrading ur skill :)
Topic Starter
Nyquill

micajoeh wrote:

I played CTB with a balance board. That was one hell of an experience. Im also working on a mania arcade-style cabinet for a scholarship, so We'll see how that goes.
Pics of mania arcade-style cabinet
Spagett
I just use a tablet and nono keyboard, I'm lame XD

zzqWilliam plays osu with a bunch of random equipment, though. Here's a playlist of all the stuff he's ever played with! -- https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL-0CP ... k6QTw0hs5w
The Gambler
I wonder if it's actually a good idea to to do an arcade-style osu!std controller, basically integrating the pointing surface and the buttons as one controller. It would be an arcade version of the usual osu!std setup.

- Buttons would be similar to beatmania, SDVX, or even regular fight stick buttons; I even have experience playing with them.

- The tablet would also be hidden underneath the surface of the controller.

- Overall design would be similar to a regular console fight stick.
PedroXI
Eu uso o mouse e o teclado