forum

Anyone had any experience with Outemu mechanical switches?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kobi_old_1
Thinking of picking up this little guy, uses Outemu blues which I have never in my life heard of. I know they're a Cherry clone. I can't find a single review for them anywhere other than the Amazon ones to give me an idea how well they may/may not work for Osu (which is gonna be its only purpose in life if I buy it) and figured I'd see if any of you guys had anything to say.

My current keyboard is a £5 PC World value-range pos that likes to occasionally decide I've not hit the key when I clearly have pressed it as far as it will go, so a replacement is very much in order. I don't wanna spend the money on something that turns out to be equally crappy though, so...
Rurree
I'd recommend you to get an actual mechanical keyboard instead because membrane keyboards are shit and mechanical ones are worth buying.

Outemu Blues are okay but I'd imagine that they wouldn't be that easy to use for osu due to them requiring a click to actuate and these knock offs are louder + stiffer than the Cherry ones. But imo, they're decent knockoffs, just not for gaming.
Topic Starter
Kobi_old_1
There isn't really space on my desk for a full keyboard, since my "computer" is a laptop and takes up the majority of the surface area that my tablet isn't covering atm, which is why I was looking at number pads instead. I also don't really have any way to justify spending a minimum of £70 on something I'm only gonna use two keys on, especially given the space constraints. The position I have my cheapo keybpard in right now is super awkward and actually pretty uncomfortable, so the perk of something smaller would be more flexibility in that space.

if you have any recommendations of pads similar to this that'd be better, I'd love to hear them. Full-sized keyboard simply isn't conna work with my desk size, sadly.
Starrodkirby86
If you have any future gameplay related questions, you'd best post them in Gameplay & Rankings, as opposed to here.

If you can wait, there's the osu! nono keyboard. thnikk also sells osu! keypads on his Etsy store, though all the responsibilities are on him. I've personally used them and I would say that I'm a fan – but the tape adhesive does inevitably give out over months (give a year and some change, maybe?). His use Gatreons though, and they do have a generally better reputation than Outemu, with some users preferring it over Cherry. Understandably, these prices are a little higher than what's on sale in Amazon though. And at least a USB numpad has, well, other uses too, obviously.
Rurree
You could actually opt for tenkeyless keyboards or 60% size keyboards that might fit your desk. I own a Vortex Pok3r keyboard that's 60% size and its length is shorter than my Macbook Air, which is 14 inches. Sorry if it seems like I'm a networker but I mean it when mechanical keyboards are something that you should get and are definitely worth your money. I use mine for writing because I'm a news writer and it has made my work much more efficient and fun.

My keyboard costs about 110 quid so that's pretty pricey but you could get 68% size keyboards such as the ones listed below that are quite cheap, and come with Outemu Blue switches (same as yours) and many more choices (I recommend the Red or Brown switches for osu)

This costs 30 quid, worth it if you ask me.

Same keyboard but with backlighting, brown switches, and higher quality switch. 50 quid

If you're still certain on getting the numpad, then yes, they're decent, but I'd rather get the ones I linked since they don't have a large footprint (I assume it'd be smaller than your laptop) and you can use it for work, other games, etc. :)
Topic Starter
Kobi_old_1
@Starrodkirby86 Honestly, hardware questions didn't really strike me as a "gameplay" or "rankings" issue :')
I've seen the two-key pays before, but honestly (I know, I know, I'm fussy) the keys would be too close together to be comfortable for me. If you put your fingers on your S key and your C key, that's about the distance of the keys I'm currently using, although slightly more of a diagonal. (keyboard is lengthways along my desk, and I'm using E and X. It's a long story but the tldr is it's just the most comfortable for me.)

@Rurree it's a desk width issue more than anything. As it stands right now the keyboard I'm using is a pretty standard size, turned lengthways. I'd say the space I have on that side of the desk is maybe... 5-6 inches? Having a keyboard right in front of me while playing has always been really uncomfortable for me too, it ends up too close in comparison to where my tab sits, which is why everything's off to the side at the minute.
Edit: I've bookmarked that 60% one though, if nothing else I can turn it on its side like my current one is doing, as awkward as that looks. It's definitely value for money and deserves a spot on the "this might be an option" list, even if not exactly the kind of size I'd prefer.

(it sounds like I'm just making excuses rather than listening to your ideas but I swear this is all in the name of finding a solution that works within the setup I've found that already works, crappy keyboard and lack of space notwithstanding.)
Rurree
Oh, makes sense. If that's so then yeah, I guess you can go for the numpad since it's purely for osu. But knowing that there's a 68-key keyboard for only 10 quid more is kind of unsettling for me. But that's just me and you're the one who's going to buy it anyway. :D
Topic Starter
Kobi_old_1

Rurree wrote:

Oh, makes sense. If that's so then yeah, I guess you can go for the numpad since it's purely for osu. But knowing that there's a 68-key keyboard for only 10 quid more is kind of unsettling for me. But that's just me and you're the one who's going to buy it anyway. :D
Yeah, I'm kinda tempted to get the numpad for now and then when I move house (lease is almost up here) I can look at getting a more permanent setup and keep the numpad as a sort of "backup" piece maybe. I'll do a little more shopping around and try and get some more reading done before I decide though.