forum

Every jump miss feels like a ****miss.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Lazorcat
Jumps are incredibly frustrating to me because 99% of the time I can't feel that I missed a jump. Nearly every time I get to a jump sequence I'm going, feeling great, and I hear the combo drop and see a red 'x' in my peripheral. Since my mind doesn't recognize what I did wrong, I doubt I will improve at my jump skills while this remains. It feels more like luck, and it's killing me.

I don't remember having this issue a year ago, I don't know what went wrong. I've considered it to be due to how far ahead I read, since reading closer to the cursor tends to improve my chances, but I can't exactly start reading closer just for jumps unless I know exactly where they are, and it makes it harder to read the future jumps. I read just about as they appear on AR 9 if that helps.

I tried a couple times to fail and watch the replay when I would miss a jump, but it's really difficult to tell exactly what I am doing wrong when you can't go lower than 0.50x speed, there is no rewind, and the clicking effect is somewhat subtle.

I use a wacom P&T and a Microsoft non-mechanical keyboard.

Can anybody offer any solutions, or is this normal?
Starrodkirby86
If it helps, you can further refine the speed of your replays by utilizing the 5-9 number keys. 6 is 100% rate, while 7-9 speed the map considerably faster than the usual 0.5x and 2.0x modifiers. Then 5 does the frame-by-frame speed. You can trade off between 5 and 6 at crucial points if you're really curious of what goes on.
Topic Starter
Lazorcat

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

If it helps, you can further refine the speed of your replays by utilizing the 5-9 number keys. 6 is 100% rate, while 7-9 speed the map considerably faster than the usual 0.5x and 2.0x modifiers. Then 5 does the frame-by-frame speed. You can trade off between 5 and 6 at crucial points if you're really curious of what goes on.
The number keys don't actually do anything for me in replays and I don't see any binding for them in my keyboard bindings.
Sayorie

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

Is this only in cutting edge? Just tried this in stable ver and it doesn't work :(

(Or maybe you mean numpad keys? I'm using a TKL keyboard by the way.)
Topic Starter
Lazorcat

Arthraxium wrote:

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

Is this only in cutting edge? Just tried this in stable ver and it doesn't work :(

(Or maybe you mean numpad keys? I'm using a TKL keyboard by the way.)
Numpad didn't work for me.
Yuudachi-kun
Haha in standard combo means something
Sandy Hoey
I think it is probably an issue with your reading. You are moving your cursor away before you click in anticipation of the next note. I know I did that a lot and still do sometimes. Don't know exactly how you fix this besides playing more
Starrodkirby86

Lazorcat wrote:

Numpad didn't work for me.
Be on Cutting Edge with the numbered keys up top, not the numpad.
Xyrus_old_1

Lazorcat wrote:

Nearly every time I get to a jump sequence I'm going, feeling great, and I hear the combo drop and see a red 'x' in my peripheral. Since my mind doesn't recognize what I did wrong,

I've considered it to be due to how far ahead I read, since reading closer to the cursor tends to improve my chances, but I can't exactly start reading closer just for jumps unless I know exactly where they are, and it makes it harder to read the future jumps. I read just about as they appear on AR 9 if that helps.
You're not reading the jumps. You should be able to see where your cursor went when you miss on moderate to slow maps. Find some good jump maps, add them to a collection and F2 your way through them. As you play, focus on watching the next approach circle shrink around the hitobject.

I also prefer to have the cursor follow my eyes on jumps. I have my eyes follow the cursor on streams. This could just be personal preference though.
B1rd
You need a loli avatar to jump properly.
Caput Mortuum

Yuudachi-kun wrote:

Haha in standard combo means something
Thank you, peppy
Akali
Play Quaver on ar8
ithgyu
then your cursor awareness isnt very good, focus on it more. Jumps get bigger and bigger as you get better, can hardly complain about them already
Topic Starter
Lazorcat

Xyrus wrote:

Lazorcat wrote:

Nearly every time I get to a jump sequence I'm going, feeling great, and I hear the combo drop and see a red 'x' in my peripheral. Since my mind doesn't recognize what I did wrong,

I've considered it to be due to how far ahead I read, since reading closer to the cursor tends to improve my chances, but I can't exactly start reading closer just for jumps unless I know exactly where they are, and it makes it harder to read the future jumps. I read just about as they appear on AR 9 if that helps.
You're not reading the jumps. You should be able to see where your cursor went when you miss on moderate to slow maps. Find some good jump maps, add them to a collection and F2 your way through them. As you play, focus on watching the next approach circle shrink around the hitobject.

I also prefer to have the cursor follow my eyes on jumps. I have my eyes follow the cursor on streams. This could just be personal preference though.
Thank you so much, I think because I started watching the approach circles (My mind usually completely ignores them) instead of reading 2-3 notes ahead I went from frustratingly being unable to get above 200x combo on Koigokoro to easily FC'ing it on my 2nd try.

Edit: I also attribute to you the fact that I finally FC'd the map I've been working on for the past week, there was one jump sequence that always killed my combo but it was no problem this time.
Hiro-Senpai
Congratz :)

Sometimes i have the days where i shit miss every jump section
But it is basically bcz i want to clear every jump note so hard that i take away my curosor from the note before i click
banter

Lazorcat wrote:

hear the combo drop and see a red 'x' in my peripheral
try looking at each individual circle in a jump instead of staring blankly in the middle. it improved my jumping capability a lot