forum

Push-Ups and Wrist/Elbow?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Rio-
So for these past 6 months I have this problem with my left hand can't play osu as usual (Like you can't, even playing in hard difficulty is harder than back when you're still new in this game).

If I play some"Long Streams" and "Bursts" songs, some part around my left wrist and elbow is hurting and feel hot (especially the most left part where the pinky finger ended) and I can't singletap with my middle finger at all (Index is the same, but not that serious). Also sometimes when I lift my arm up, I can feel that hot sensation around my elbow. Is the tendon around that part is inflamed? or there's something wrong with my nerve?

I heard from my friends that doing Push-ups will help quite a lot for these "wrist and elbow pain" and some mobility.
But is it true? And is it really safe to do some push-ups if in any case the part I feel hurting is inflamed (since It'll make it way worse to put some stress on it)?

*I do plan to go to a doctor as soon as possible, but since It isn't that severe (I still can do activities like usual, only that I can't play osu! like usual) and I don't really have money to go for now. I'm resorting to some alternatives like exercises for now... And I want to ask you guys some opinion about it (maybe some of you know about this or happen to had this kind of problem back then?)
E m i
Does the tip of your ring finger feel numb or something like that too?
All of what you said is indicative of ulnar nerve compression/entrapment, please don't go too hard on pushups because it puts a lot of pressure on the ulnar canal

try to not rest those areas on hard surfaces, you might be applying too much pressure and provoking symptoms

it can be difficult to narrow down
Topic Starter
Rio-

Momiji wrote:

Does the tip of your ring finger feel numb or something like that too?
tbh It isn't, at least from what I'm feeling.

Momiji wrote:

All of what you said is indicative of ulnar nerve compression/entrapment, please don't go too hard on pushups because it puts a lot of pressure on the ulnar canal
yeah I guess so. Does putting Ice works too?

And what if my index finger keep flexing itself when I'm singletapping? (like instead of touching the key with fingerprint, it actually using my fingernail instead which ended up scratching my key)
Endaris
putting ice never works because it only fights the symptom not the cause
also cut your nails short
shortpotato
pretty sure playing osu does not injure yourself
Topic Starter
Rio-
Apparently I found this video in YouTube which exactly explains my problem (the elbow part - 01:48)... I think I'll try these exercises once in a while (It works with Median and Ulnar nerves too)

Endaris wrote:

putting ice never works because it only fights the symptom not the cause
also cut your nails short
Yeah I guess, I heard that ice will only works for recent injuries too. Uncheck that.
I have this one phobia of cutting my fingernails too short (less than 1 mm long, accident happens when I was a child), but I'll try it anyway.

shortpotato wrote:

Either that It was because of some injury I got back then (I sprained my shoulder back in 2015, it might be the cause but idk) or I play osu! too much.
This only happen when I play osu. It doesn't really happen when I try to play a Musical keyboard (or sometimes, but not as bad as with osu!) or any activities that using my left hand.

thanks for the suggestions.
E m i
for index try using keys higher up on the keyboard. Shoulder injuries often cause nerve-related problems so that's a good idea
athyriel

shortpotato wrote:

It can. For example, if you tap on keyboard, there's a chance that you can damage the tendons on your fingers when you apply pressure to them (alternate tapping)

The position you hold your mouse can also cause injuries. You could put to much pressure of your wrist on the table and move your hand around while the wrist is still in position. (idk about this.)
3bdallah
i smell rsi
I Give Up
Take break maybe.
awedgoo
Unfortunately that sounds like rsi (probably golfers elbow) 🤕
ideally you should limit computer usage with your left hand (especially osu) until your symptoms are gone.
working out and stretching is definitely a good idea, but start out at a low intensity and volume and progress slowly from there making sure your symptoms don't get worse.
also push-ups are defs not a good idea to start out with, if u have elbow and wrist pain. maybe start with an easier excersize like dumbbell press with a weight you are comfortable with