forum

How Input lag will affect your performance

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
kurodahatsuharu
Ok so to start the story, My xbox 360 controller had some issue few days ago. It wasn't work with battery anymore so i have to plug it in my PC with a charge & play kit and at the same time i change my headphone from 3.5mm jack to usb also, so my usb port is nearly full.

My USB setup at the time will be :
2 slot for the first keyboard - On the keyboard also have 2 USB 2.0 slot, 1 for my headphone, 1 for my tablet.
1 slot for a second keyboard
2 slot for Xbox 360 controller, 1 for Charge & play kit, 1 for the wireless receiver.
1 slot for my mouse

And then when i started to play Osu!, i realize my movement is a little out of sync with the second keyboard. My rhythm wasn't natural as it used to be, i miss more often and accuracy also decrease quite a bit. Everything is fine with the first keyboard, even the position is not as good as the second keyboard

And then i realize that my mobo has Gaming Device Port (Yeah, gaming device port, PC master race!)

Then i try to change the port of 2 keyboards, and it actually works ! I try again for a few times but i actually feel the different here.

So what's going on here ? As i know, USB port has a limited bandwidth in speed (everything does), so your input lag will increase when too many devices in use at the same time. Gaming Device Port on the mobo isn't actually make your devices more responsive, but it separate from other USB port, so it doesn't have to share bandwidth with other devices. A few pro gamers i know only use Ps/2 port for mouse and keyboard because of the same reason, it's individual port so the USB bandwidth will not affect the input lag

tl;dr, get a gaming mobo, try to switch to PS/2 port or reduce the number of usb port in use to maximum your osu! performance.
2xExp
I usually pull around 0.3ms on my wacom tablet.

I tested with USB connection from keyboards and motherboard USB and so far I haven't had any noticeable difference.

Although with a faster BPM and wide jumps, that latency definitely shows to a small degree, but nothing too serious at my level of play X(
Topic Starter
kurodahatsuharu

2xExp wrote:

I usually pull around 0.3ms on my wacom tablet.

I tested with USB connection from keyboards and motherboard USB and so far I haven't had any noticeable difference.

Although with a faster BPM and wide jumps, that latency definitely shows to a small degree, but nothing too serious at my level of play X(
as i mention, the delay only begin to noticeable when i use too much USB port devices. The USB port on mobo and keyboard is the same same thing because not ALL your USB port on your mobo is Gaming Port. My mobo have 6 USB port and 2 are Gaming Port, normal mobo will not have this kind of port.
FuZ

kurodahatsuharu wrote:

tl;dr, get a gaming mobo
are you working for MSI?
I Give Up
Gaming rig is always more consistent. I change my offset almost every time depending on how many hard drives are plugged in and what programs are running in back ground coz my ghetto PC.
Topic Starter
kurodahatsuharu

FuZ wrote:

kurodahatsuharu wrote:

tl;dr, get a gaming mobo
are you working for MSI?
Not only MSI made Gaming Mobo mate.