forum

HR Player - Should I re-learn No Mod?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Wildelia
Hello, as you can see on my profile I'm currently at around 4K PP and rank ~14k at the time of this post. For the past 4 or so months I've been playing almost exclusively with HR, sometimes I play DT or 6*+ no mod maps for fun. Over time I've become quite good at HR and I'd say probably better than the average player around my rank when it comes to HR.

So the problem now is that I've become absolutely horrible at reading pretty much anything at or below AR 9.5 and I'm most comfortable at AR10 (also able to play 10.3 well). This has begun to bother me a lot because there are lots of maps (5.5 - 6*) that would give me relatively a lot of PP (200+) that I cannot FC simply because they are AR 9-9.3, once I edit them to be AR10 it becomes very easy for me to FC them. Originally my plan was that I would continue to play HR only until I got to the point where I could play pretty much anything comfortably (up to 6.5-7*) with HR but now I'm wondering if that's a good idea.

The question now is should I stick with playing mostly HR since I've already become comfortable with AR/OD 10 and small CS or should I re-learn No Mod and also how important is it to be able to read AR 9-9.5.
Roricon
You can definitely be a top player with only hr and dt scores, but it wouldn't hurt to learn to play lower ar again. I don't think you should focus on learning nomod, but it would be a good idea to play more ar 9, for example you could play only ar 9-9.5 once or twice a week and play normally on the other days (thats kinda what I do to learn ar 7/8).
But dunno if my word of advice has any value since i'm just a scrub who can't even play hr.
Topic Starter
Wildelia
Thanks for the reply. That's kind of what I do already, every play session I'll play some No Mod maps that are AR9-9.5 but only playing a few maps a day is not enough for me to really improve at it. I think if I wanted to be able to play AR9 properly I would have to really dedicate a few weeks of only playing AR9 which could also hurt my ability to play AR10. I'm just not sure if it's worth dedicating that time to No Mod or if I should just continue on the path of HR.
vsprite
start with some ar9.5s -9.1 then gradually moev down to ar 9
kurodahatsuharu
If you get better result while playing HR, why do you have to change back ? Just keep playing HR as long as you can keep up with the current song
_handholding
get good and use HD
DeathHydra

jeremy1344 wrote:

there are lots of maps (5.5 - 6*) that would give me relatively a lot of PP (200+) that I cannot FC simply because they are AR 9-9.3, once I edit them to be AR10 it becomes very easy for me to FC them.
FC them with HR then. Shouldn't be much of a problem from what you said
KupcaH
how to acc od 10
2xExp
I have a very similar play style as you do, and I can share some of my stories when I was halted around 4kpp as well.

I wasn't able to show any decent progression after I seemingly hit the limit playing exclusively HDHR, and realizing that I can no longer play nomod maps that are <AR10.

But I started practicing and playing lower ARs again throughout my daily plays and eventually it got better and better and I saw a significant improvement within a short (relative) amount of time. It definitely helps if you start playing AR8 DT maps because that puts you just around the HR range of AR but not too significantly slow. You can start back from there and just start playing a bit more.

It suuuucks not being able to read lower ARs once you get too accustomed x(
ithgyu
yes you should learn nomod, it will help all areas of your play
N0thingSpecial
If it's fun for you go ahead