forum

Red dot where cursor misses, to help with feedback for aim

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +12
Topic Starter
Mio Winter
How do we improve our aim? By getting feedback from our successes and failures.

TL;DR: Add an option to have a red dot appear when you click someplace that's not a circle, so that when you miss a circle, you see exactly where you missed. This is to give you more feedback to learn aim much quicker.

If we try to move cursor to position X and then we succeed, dopamine is released and the neural connections that led up to the success gets reinforced.

If we try to move cursor to position X and then we fail, either the neural connections that led to the cursor movements simply don't get reinforced, or the lack of dopamine actually weakens those neural connections.

This process makes sure that the pattern of neural firing that causes you to hit instead of miss circles will win out over other patterns over time.

But this process also includes intelligent feedback. (That's the hypothesis, anyway.) So if you miss by a lot, the neural pattern gets weakened (pruned/punished) by a lot, and if you miss by only a little, the neural pattern gets weakened a little or not at all. But this learning via intelligent feedback can only happen if you know whether you missed by a lot or by a little.

Furthermore, if there is a mechanism in the brain to the effect that if you miss to the left of the circle, neural patterns to that leads to clicking slightly to the right of that point gets reinforced, then you can learn even faster by knowing precisely where you missed. I believe such a mechanism exists, but I'm not sure.
Seijiro
I'd say it is really hard to focus on the object I just missed, above all on maps with large spacings that asks me to look at the next couple of objects if I want to read the map properly.

If ever, I'd say something like this is more suitable for what you ask: t/406801/start=0
While it is not "direct" feedback this still lets me understand better the whole map and analize my movements. I wouldn't be able to do so while playing for sure.
Topic Starter
Mio Winter

MrSergio wrote:

I'd say it is really hard to focus on the object I just missed, above all on maps with large spacings that asks me to look at the next couple of objects if I want to read the map properly.

If ever, I'd say something like this is more suitable for what you ask: t/406801/start=0
While it is not "direct" feedback this still lets me understand better the whole map and analize my movements. I wouldn't be able to do so while playing for sure.
The problem with that is that I don't think there's a mechanism in the brain for learning how to aim based on seeing that map of misses. We get better at aiming from immediate feedback, not conscious reasoning. I think.
Sandy Hoey
Yeah, but you are not going to reasonably be to pay attention to exactly where you missed if you are trying not fail
Topic Starter
Mio Winter

Sandy Hoey wrote:

Yeah, but you are not going to reasonably be to pay attention to exactly where you missed if you are trying not fail
You don't need to pay much conscious attention to where you missed as long as the information gets into the relevant parts of the brain. The learning is mostly an unconscious process annyway.
Sandy Hoey
I guess. But I know I get very easily distracted when playing osu! Id rather not have it personnaly
Topic Starter
Mio Winter

Sandy Hoey wrote:

I guess. But I know I get very easily distracted when playing osu! Id rather not have it personnaly
I want it to be an optional feature. : )

Also, some experiments in neuroscience probably show that in order to get better at an activity, you need to pay attention to that activity while doing it. Citing a summary of these experiments from here (http://lesswrong.com/lw/blr/attention_c ... tical_for/), "We don’t become better at things we do – we become better at things we pay attention to while we’re doing them."

Which is maybe a reason to always try to play beatmaps that are hard enough to not let you completely lose your attention. : o
Seijiro
I never said you don't have to pay attention as it is now: I said that my focus (and probably also others') is going towards the next objects more than the object I am about to click. It's a different kind of focus that osu requires in order to "stay on rhythm".

In my personal experience I can tell you that once I'm about to click something I prepare myself already to calculate the distance and the rhythm for the next objects since I already know where and when to click the current one. If I miss that note I can't afford to pay attention to see <exactly> how I missed since I'd end up missing other notes too.
That was my point.
Topic Starter
Mio Winter

MrSergio wrote:

I never said you don't have to pay attention as it is now: I said that my focus (and probably also others') is going towards the next objects more than the object I am about to click. It's a different kind of focus that osu requires in order to "stay on rhythm".

In my personal experience I can tell you that once I'm about to click something I prepare myself already to calculate the distance and the rhythm for the next objects since I already know where and when to click the current one. If I miss that note I can't afford to pay attention to see <exactly> how I missed since I'd end up missing other notes too.
That was my point.
I use the magic powers of deduction to infer that you are Sandy Hoey as well. : p

I see what you mean.
Ashton

MrSergio wrote:

That was my point.

I agree with this! I honestly don't see any need to have this implemented even if it was a optional feature
Topic Starter
Mio Winter

Whirl wrote:

MrSergio wrote:

That was my point.

I agree with this! I honestly don't see any need to have this implemented even if it was a optional feature
The hypothesis is that it will help even though you don't pay much conscious attention to where the red dot is, so you'll still get to learn aim quicker even if you don't change the way you allocate your attention currently.
Adder
Yes, make a boo.png element plox
I Give Up
This is really good actually. A lot of the misses are due to losing track of cursor because of mis-reading or drift. This would be EXTREMELY helpful.