forum

Discussion 36: What sort of medals would you like to see?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
With the recent release of a new set of Hush-Hush achievements, we noted a pretty varied response in how people approached achievements/medals in general.

Hush-Hush medals are designed to be a mixture of a riddle and actual gameplay. Sometimes figuring out the map/difficulty the medal mentions is enough, sometimes you will need to figure out more than just that, and other times you may not even be able to find out how to get the medal until someone else stumbles upon it accidentally. We understand that these medals don't interest everyone, and that there is some concern about some medals being too difficult to be attainable by most people.

Progression medals are far simpler, and currently exist in most modes up to 8 stars. We don't see many players feasibly being able to play at or above an 8 star level in most modes for the near future, so we've not got any plans to expand them any further than that for now.

Gimmick medals often fall in the Hush-Hush category (most of the earlier ones fall under this moniker) and involve achieving outrageous or not-commonly attained statistics in a given game, like finishing a map with 13x 100s, and 37x 300s.

Going forward, what would you like to see more of? How would you like to see these medals revealed?

Please note that currently, medals can only be awarded based on scores only. This means that things like cursor-dancing, key-combinations and other in-client stuff cannot be used to award users medals.
PakaChan
x SS medals, x ranked score medals would be nice. D rank FC for ctb?
Bara-
Maybe some mapping/modding related ones? Though those are mostly web-based, and only accessible to a select few
Endaris
Can I get a shitposting medal?
Or "provoking forum user"?
*runs*

Personally I don't deem Hush-Hush as that interesting since you're now free to share the accurate way of obtaining them - the riddlepart is basically rip.
I also think that the userpage is more or less satiated with different kind of medals already.
There are 84 different medals for standard mode if I didn't fail counting. Almost half of them has very low requirements in terms of skill which means that new players probably drown in achievements when starting off. They're almost guaranteed to gain one on their first play that is not the tutorial for example.

One thing I'd also like to note is that you won't get any meaningful reward nor will you get recognised for collecting medals. It is not very attractive to actually go and catch'em all at this point. A medalcount-ranking might make it more interesting. There have to be more creative ways to make this happening but eh...i'm not that creative.

One annual medal I'd consider interesting is a mappack-medal for the OWC Finals mappack (and respectively TWC/CWC/MWC) where you have to pass all maps from it with the intended mods except for two of them (pretending you have two bans lol) with some title that tells that you're going to become a world champ soon(tm) or something in that direction.
Lacrimosa
An interesting idea would be to have to pass specific maps (including specific difficulties) with a specific order to unlock a medal. They will have to guess which maps they will have to pass, judging by the title of the medal. For example, "Big brother's tragic death". In this case, they will have to pass any difficulty of this map and then pass the "Tragic Death Extra" difficulty of this map. Note that they will have to pass the second map directly after passing the first one, meaning that they should not submit any other scores on other maps in between. Not the greatest example, but you get the drift. :P
Bara-
^^
We already had one for 'Don't let the bunny distract you', so having it for more maps it nice
Topic Starter
Ephemeral

Nikosbks wrote:

An interesting idea would be to have to pass specific maps (including specific difficulties) with a specific order to unlock a medal. They will have to guess which maps they will have to pass, judging by the title of the medal. For example, "Big brother's tragic death". In this case, they will have to pass any difficulty of this map and then pass the "Tragic Death Extra" difficulty of this map. Note that they will have to pass the second map directly after passing the first one, meaning that they should not submit any other scores on other maps in between. Not the greatest example, but you get the drift. :P
Having "order" based achievements is on the cards, but not currently possible due to how our backend is set up. It is something we're looking into, though.
Zozimoto
Medals Based On PP, For Example: Reach 450 PP. Reach 1000 PP. Or Get 20 PP+ From A Map. Get 50+ PP From A Map.
DeletedUser_6709840
I like Bara- 's idea of the mapping and modding achievements the most because that in itself takes a lot of effort and also shows your devotion to the community.

If you can get medals for the amount of PP your score or just for doing things to get the score you have, why not for the number of kudosu you earn as well? Or the number of ranked maps you have?
Zozimoto

RoseusJaeger wrote:

If you can get medals for the amount of PP your score or just for doing things to get the score you have, why not for the number of kudosu you earn as well? Or the number of ranked maps you have?
I Want Something Like That Too.
Capuccino
I think we need a special medal for whoever can FC NOMA - Brain Power
Bunnrei
how about a medal for getting a skill-related medal (those pass a 1*, 2*, etc ones) for all modes (all-mode players are cool!)
Zain Sugieres
Medals for achieving pp scores (100, 200, 300, 400) or something.
CookieBite
srs agree with Bara-'s idea.

maybe kudosu earning medal stuff or ranked mapset amount? this will be cool
Seijiro
I have a feeling that such medals will just worsen the overall quality of mods since people will rush their work to get more kudosu instead of actually helping the mapper.
I'm personally against them just for that reason.

Same goes for ranked maps.

If ever, set a medal for your first ranked map (since that's usually a big deal) but not for a certain amount of maps.
Jukkii
id like medals for achieving something in a specific map. for instance, passing dopamine (highest diff ofc) could give a medal. this could lead to some interesting riddles with song names and difficulty names. and maybe something like "FC all ranked maps of x artist" or something.
and i think an achievement for first ranked map sounds good.
Yuudachi-kun
More "dedication" medals from playcount/hitcount in every mode
B1rd
Well I was gonna say an achievement for 200k...
Stefan

cough

Generally more pack-related medals. Might mix with Hush-Hush, so they won't be as obvious as the current one.
abraker
Off the top of my head:

Medals for how many players watched your replays,
Medal for coming back after being inactive for a long time
Medals for how many kudos earned
Medals for number of maps ranked
Medal for speed ranking
Medals for number of players played a maper's ranked map
Medals for reaching a certain number of views on an osu! livestream

Basically, extend out not to only cover medals involving playing the game, but being a part of the community too
Endaris

abraker wrote:

Basically, extend out not to only cover medals involving playing the game, but being a part of the community too
Tbh, I don't want mindless achievementfarmers flooding the community with nothing in mind but getting medals instead of meaningfully contributing. It's already bad enough to have people like me around here.
abraker

Endaris wrote:

abraker wrote:

Tbh, I don't want mindless achievementfarmers flooding the community with nothing in mind but getting medals instead of meaningfully contributing. It's already bad enough to have people like me around here.
Well I suggested some that deal with meaningful contribution. As for the others, I fail to see how that is an issue.
show more