forum

[Proposal] osu!standard ruleset draft (General)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Grrum
These rules look both reasonable and helpful for newer mappers. Thank you QAT's for revisiting this subject.

The one issue I have is with naming. Recently, there has been a trend to include a 'Light Insane' type of difficulty in between Hard and Insane. Can this be added to the list of recognized names? Or perhaps even, can we take the opportunity to add another name for this level of difficulty to make this a more authentic difficulty level, preferably one that starts with an 'I' to go with the red 'I' icon like 'Intense' or 'Intermediate'?
Wafu

pinataman wrote:

These rules look both reasonable and helpful for newer mappers. Thank you QAT's for revisiting this subject.

The one issue I have is with naming. Recently, there has been a trend to include a 'Light Insane' type of difficulty in between Hard and Insane. Can this be added to the list of recognized names? Or perhaps even, can we take the opportunity to add another name for this level of difficulty to make this a more authentic difficulty level, preferably one that starts with an 'I' to go with the red 'I' icon like 'Intense' or 'Intermediate'?
The list of possible alternatives is not the only option it can be. As long as it correctly determines the difficulty, you can basically use whatever you'd like. The list only shows very frequently used names.
Nyxa
Oh I must've missed that then Oko.
Krimek

Okorin wrote:

What exactly do you mean? Putting a mean pattern and justifying it by it giving back a lot of hp when being played correctly or something like that ?
This does not have to be a mean pattern. Let's take for an example a longslider or a spinner, and the HP drops down, but followed up by a build-up pattern or whatever. You can use more NCs to get the HP back; e.g. you were playing NCs all 4/1 but at this special part you're using NCs all 1/1 so you can build up your HP way faster.
fastmarkus
Hello! Can someone enlighten me here: are now hold sliders rankable? if yes, how do you make a slider border (i don't understand much about mapping, sorry if it is a dumb question) for that? or was this rule already applied?

I got that impression after reading this sentence:"Every slider must have a clear and visible path to follow from start to end. Sliders which overlap themselves in a way that makes any section unreadable or ambiguous cannot be used, such as burai sliders and hold sliders without straightforward slider borders. Perfectly overlapping slider bodies must give enough time to fully read each slider’s path"
Topic Starter
Myxo

fastmarkus wrote:

Hello! Can someone enlighten me here: are now hold sliders rankable? if yes, how do you make a slider border (i don't understand much about mapping, sorry if it is a dumb question) for that? or was this rule already applied?

I got that impression after reading this sentence:"Every slider must have a clear and visible path to follow from start to end. Sliders which overlap themselves in a way that makes any section unreadable or ambiguous cannot be used, such as burai sliders and hold sliders without straightforward slider borders. Perfectly overlapping slider bodies must give enough time to fully read each slider’s path"
No, hold sliders are unrankable because they DON'T have a visible slider border. Need to adjust that wording.

Krimek wrote:

Okorin wrote:

What exactly do you mean? Putting a mean pattern and justifying it by it giving back a lot of hp when being played correctly or something like that ?
This does not have to be a mean pattern. Let's take for an example a longslider or a spinner, and the HP drops down, but followed up by a build-up pattern or whatever. You can use more NCs to get the HP back; e.g. you were playing NCs all 4/1 but at this special part you're using NCs all 1/1 so you can build up your HP way faster.
We'll take this into consideration, however it seems like an edge case in which a guideline could be broken. After all NCs are used to make certain things more readable too etc.
fastmarkus
Oh, okay, then! Thank you :)
abraker
I think there should be a rule regarding that all consecutively stacked notes and slider ends must be snapped to distinced sound or at least have equal snapping intervals because that can lead to confusing patterns otherwise.
Seni
You didn't make it very clear if it would still be allowed to use a custom name for the hardest difficulty in a mapset or not. I don't think being permitted to use only the basic names would allow for much variety or creativity, since the hardest difficulty is most often the focus point of a mapset anyway. Having all the hardest difficulties named Expert or Ultra would be really dull.
Okoratu

abraker wrote:

I think there should be a rule regarding that all consecutively stacked notes and slider ends must be snapped to distinced sound or at least have equal snapping intervals because that can lead to confusing patterns otherwise.
This stuff is part for difficulty-specific ranking criteria (hint: yes it's on the draft) which will be released once we're done with putting our values through testing (we're currently producing a bunch of maps that break the values we came up with to see if the values we came up with make sense)

Seni wrote:

You didn't make it very clear if it would still be allowed to use a custom name for the hardest difficulty in a mapset or not. I don't think being permitted to use only the basic names would allow for much variety or creativity, since the hardest difficulty is most often the focus point of a mapset anyway. Having all the hardest difficulties named Expert or Ultra would be really dull.
The difficulty naming is part of the General Ranking Criteria which applies to all game modes, this is the Ranking Criteria draft which applies to the game mode osu! specifically, so this part is untouched for now.
Cherry Blossom
I don't know if it was already mentioned by someone else.
But this current Rules/Guidelines doesn't talk about ninja spinners, or not enough explicit about it.

This rule "Spinners must be long enough for Auto to achieve 1000 bonus score. Shorter spinners are unreasonably difficult to complete."
And guildeline "Spinners should be used when they fit the music. They usually fit during held notes, changes in intensity, or transitions between sections. This is to ensure score differences among perfect plays on the leaderboard." are not enough explicit about what is a "ninja spinner", and if it's rankable or not.

By ninja spinners i mean a very short spinner (assume auto can still achieve at least 1000) but in a place where it is not predictable, and for sure, it is suprising for the player and he might combobreak.
The term "ninja spinner" should be added.

Edit, and did you talk about giving enough time after spinners, in easier diffs ?
Topic Starter
Myxo

Cherry Blossom wrote:

I don't know if it was already mentioned by someone else.
But this current Rules/Guidelines doesn't talk about ninja spinners, or not enough explicit about it.

This rule "Spinners must be long enough for Auto to achieve 1000 bonus score. Shorter spinners are unreasonably difficult to complete."
And guildeline "Spinners should be used when they fit the music. They usually fit during held notes, changes in intensity, or transitions between sections. This is to ensure score differences among perfect plays on the leaderboard." are not enough explicit about what is a "ninja spinner", and if it's rankable or not.

By ninja spinners i mean a very short spinner (assume auto can still achieve at least 1000) but in a place where it is not predictable, and for sure, it is suprising for the player and he might combobreak.
The term "ninja spinner" should be added.

Edit, and did you talk about giving enough time after spinners, in easier diffs ?
Will discuss ninja spinners.

The recovery time is difficulty-specific and will be mentioned in the difficulty-specific proposal.
abraker
So according to the rules, 2B maps are now allowed? And non moving sliders?
ZiRoX

abraker wrote:

2B maps aren't allowed, since the General (as in for all modes) Ranking Criteria still disallows two objects at the same time for standard.

I'm an outsider to the Standard CC (and to the whole standard mapping scene), so correct me if I'm wrong.
Topic Starter
Myxo

abraker wrote:

2B is forbidden by General criteria. Non moving sliders are forbidden due to:
Every slider must have a clear and visible path to follow from start to end.
Sieg
Both slider border and body colors must be manually set or not set. Setting only one may conflict with a user’s custom skin choices.
Can you please elaborate this?
Mao

Sieg wrote:

Both slider border and body colors must be manually set or not set. Setting only one may conflict with a user’s custom skin choices.
I think it's meant that if you set for example a red sliderborder and a user has a red slidertrack in their own skin the sliderborder won't be visible anymore thus skinning both is mandatory if you skin one.
Topic Starter
Myxo

Sieg wrote:

When a user set one of those in their skin (or both) and a mapper sets only one of them, they might end up being the same color.

It's a bit unfortunate that it's not possible to force the slidertrack taking the color of the combo colors automatically, like it is in the default skin. We will do our best to make the devs implement this, and then we can remove this rule. But for now, we want to ensure maximum compatibility with player's skins.
abraker

Desperate-kun wrote:

Quote:
Ohhhh I was thinking that in terms of visibility. Like for example, a slider fully in view has a visible path from start to end, but not necessarily has the velocity or consistent velocity which can indicate the time the path starts and the time the path ends.
Topic Starter
Myxo

abraker wrote:

Desperate-kun wrote:

Quote:
Ohhhh I was thinking that in terms of visibility. Like for example, a slider fully in view has a visible path from start to end, but not necessarily has the velocity or consistent velocity which can indicate the time the path starts and the time the path ends.
No, this one is for preventing burai and hold sliders like explained after the bold text.
Sieg

Desperate-kun wrote:

It's a bit unfortunate that it's not possible to force the slidertrack taking the color of the combo colors automatically, like it is in the default skin. We will do our best to make the devs implement this, and then we can remove this rule. But for now, we want to ensure maximum compatibility with player's skins.
So if you use custom slider skin element in your map you must set sliderborder, if you have sliderborder set you must set sliderbody? This means sliderbody cannot use combo colors and forced to a single color until feature for this will be implemented by the devs, right?
Topic Starter
Myxo

Sieg wrote:

Desperate-kun wrote:

So if you use custom slider skin element in your map you must set sliderborder, if you have sliderborder set you must set sliderbody? This means sliderbody cannot use combo colors and forced to a single color until feature for this will be implemented by the devs, right?
Unfortunately, yes. If someone doesn't find a workaround for this (which I highly doubt will happen).
quaternary
You might want to add a guideline about using custom numbers in your beatmap skin.

If the player has a HitCircleOverlap or ScoreOverlap value set in their skin.ini and uses the beatmap skin, osu! will use the player's Overlap settings with the beatmap skin's numbers, which, more often than not, just makes a mess...
Wafu

quaternary wrote:

You might want to add a guideline about using custom numbers in your beatmap skin.

If the player has a HitCircleOverlap or ScoreOverlap value set in their skin.ini and uses the beatmap skin, osu! will use the player's Overlap settings with the beatmap skin's numbers, which, more often than not, just makes a mess...
We consulted this and we cannot do this right now. We have no ability to change required values in .osu file for making these work completely, once that is possible, we'll bring the rule. We are aware this causes an issue, but for now, it's only fixable via forcing the default skin (which changes way too many things, if we basically want to change one value). There's one guideline requiring default skin as preferred too, so I agree it doesn't make sense to stay. I planned to create a feature request for this so that we can complete the skinning rules.
Sieg

Desperate-kun wrote:

Sieg wrote:

Unfortunately, yes. If someone doesn't find a workaround for this (which I highly doubt will happen).
uh, alright, but this is such a huge limiting in skining to cover just a few edgy cases that may occur
Topic Starter
Myxo

Sieg wrote:

uh, alright, but this is such a huge limiting in skining to cover just a few edgy cases that may occur
will discuss this again
grumd
copy pasting this
not sure what was fixed already
1. there is a typo.

Avoid excessive composition differences in similar sections of a song. The basic spacing and rhythm should similar, while patterning can vary. This is to ensure players do not get confused when playing the same rhythm twice.

> should BE similar

Avoid beginning ¼ sliders on unsupported blue ticks. Often white/red ticks should be prioritized even if the same sound sample is used for blue ticks. If there is a distinctly important sound on the blue tick, however, beginning a ¼ slider there can be acceptable.

probably would want to emphasize that blue tick sound should be more distinct than red/white to start a slider there

Spinners should be used when they fit the music. They usually fit during held notes, changes in intensity, or transitions between sections. This is to ensure score differences among perfect plays on the leaderboard.

3rd sentence refers to 1st so its better like this

Spinners should be used when they fit the music. This is to ensure score differences among perfect plays on the leaderboard. They usually fit during held notes, changes in intensity, or transitions between sections.

Avoid following multiple layers of the song if it is unclear what rhythm is prioritizing. Players should be able to discern what part of the song is being followed.

probably should add that this mostly applies to lower diffs
Kibbleru
looks good so far, i can already see the unnecessary limitations before have been removed.
Koiyuki
i think custom combo color have to be used, which can be added to the rule 2 in general.

also it seems changing .osu file is not banned, from my side we can allow some of the changing by .osu file like sv, str, lr and some of the slider go through the timing section(red line)......

other seems fine.
Topic Starter
Myxo

grumd wrote:

copy pasting this
not sure what was fixed already
1. there is a typo.

Avoid excessive composition differences in similar sections of a song. The basic spacing and rhythm should similar, while patterning can vary. This is to ensure players do not get confused when playing the same rhythm twice.

> should BE similar
Already fixed.

grumd wrote:

Avoid beginning ¼ sliders on unsupported blue ticks. Often white/red ticks should be prioritized even if the same sound sample is used for blue ticks. If there is a distinctly important sound on the blue tick, however, beginning a ¼ slider there can be acceptable.

probably would want to emphasize that blue tick sound should be more distinct than red/white to start a slider there

Spinners should be used when they fit the music. They usually fit during held notes, changes in intensity, or transitions between sections. This is to ensure score differences among perfect plays on the leaderboard.

3rd sentence refers to 1st so its better like this

Spinners should be used when they fit the music. This is to ensure score differences among perfect plays on the leaderboard. They usually fit during held notes, changes in intensity, or transitions between sections.

Avoid following multiple layers of the song if it is unclear what rhythm is prioritizing. Players should be able to discern what part of the song is being followed.

probably should add that this mostly applies to lower diffs
Will discuss.
Although I disagree that 4. should mostly apply to lower diffs, because it's bad to follow 'everything' in Insane too. Mostly it leads to 1/2 or 1/4 spam without recognizable rhythm.

Koiyuki wrote:

i think custom combo color have to be used, which can be added to the rule 2 in general.

also it seems changing .osu file is not banned, from my side we can allow some of the changing by .osu file like sv, str, lr and some of the slider go through the timing section(red line)......

other seems fine.
Each map must use at least two different custom combo colors unless the default skin is forced.
is already here... I don't really understand what you want to say regarding colors.

Changing .osu files is still banned like before, because it is part of the all-mode Ranking Crieria. This one here is only std-specific.
Koiyuki

Desperate-kun wrote:

Each map must use at least two different custom combo colors unless the default skin is forced.
is already here... I don't really understand what you want to say regarding colors.

Changing .osu files is still banned like before, because it is part of the all-mode Ranking Crieria. This one here is only std-specific.
eh that's a misreading, because i met a map which doesnt set any combo color, also unforced default skin, and get bubbled.

for std rule, i remember that charles445 mentioned that the stack leniency can be set as 0 by changing .osu file, also it's rankable. So I think we should mention it in std rule.
Topic Starter
Myxo

Koiyuki wrote:

Desperate-kun wrote:

eh that's a misreading, because i met a map which doesnt set any combo color, also unforced default skin, and get bubbled.
Yeah, because currently that is allowed. When this RC will be ammended it won't be allowed anymore.

Koiyuki wrote:

for std rule, i remember that charles445 mentioned that the stack leniency can be set as 0 by changing .osu file, also it's rankable. So I think we should mention it in std rule.
It will still be included in the all-mode RC though, except if we decide to do otherwise when we will discuss that topic. For now this won't be added here as that rule is still covered by the general RC.
grumd
This is wrong.

Do not manually edit anything in an .osu file that cannot be changed through the Editor.
There's an important part there.
Topic Starter
Myxo

grumd wrote:

This is wrong.

Do not manually edit anything in an .osu file that cannot be changed through the Editor.
There's an important part there.
That's what I meant, my sentence structure was a bit weird. I meant the same aspects about .osu editing like before are banned, because of the all-mode Criteria.
Haruto
Does adding Skinning stuff like, colours of sliderborder and slidertrackoverride is still considered as manual editing through the .osu file? and does it will still allowed if the new RC applies?
Topic Starter
Myxo

Haruto wrote:

Does adding Skinning stuff like, colours of sliderborder and slidertrackoverride is still considered as manual editing through the .osu file? and does it will still allowed if the new RC applies?
The all-mode Ranking Criteria will be updated later, which will cover this issue, too. The RC is incredibly outdated.
Obviously, editing sliderborder and slidertrackoverride will NEVER be unrankable, because it's necessary.
Haruto

Desperate-kun wrote:

Haruto wrote:

The all-mode Ranking Criteria will be updated later, which will cover this issue, too. The RC is incredibly outdated.
Obviously, editing sliderborder and slidertrackoverride will NEVER be unrankable, because it's necessary.
Oh i understand then. I Thought they will come as unrankable if the map dont have any custom skin files lol.
Okoratu
Just my own notes made public about the things we should have to address in a revision anyways based on the input from several sides so far (+my own thoughts after hearing a few things):

Desperate-kun wrote:

All repeat arrows on sliders must be visible, excluding short repeating sliders. In those cases, only the first repeat has to be visible, since the other repeats are expected. Test play your map to confirm if repeat arrows are visible.
Should get a sentence explaining why this even is a requirement

Desperate-kun wrote:

All circles and slider heads should be snapped to distinct sounds in the music. Adding objects where there is no musical cue to justify them can result in confusing patterns and unfitting rhythms.
Instead of calling it confusing this should probably say something among the lines of inventing objects that contradict what the song offers goes against the basic intention of a rhythm game that follows a song

Desperate-kun wrote:

Avoid overlapping objects with other elements of the default skin. This includes elements such as the HP-bar, combocounter, progressbar or the score meter.
while it is already kind of hinting that it probalby only means skinnable elements i feel like this should include a list of things that are involved here, otherwise nobody knows how and what to check for in which resolutions whatsoever because it's a tad too vague

Desperate-kun wrote:

Avoid using high tick rates combined with low slider velocity. Receiving feedback from slider ticks that are not visible can be uncomfortable.
Would rather say that hearing ticking and not seeing anything that causes it is similar to storyboarded samples playing in the middle of something

Desperate-kun wrote:

Buzz sliders must have appropriate delay before the next note. 1/8 and 1/16 sliders should be followed by a 1/4 gap, whereas 1/12 sliders should be followed by a 1/6 gap. This ensures that the hit-window between objects is playable.
Guideline wording would suggest must -> should

Desperate-kun wrote:

Avoid excessive composition differences in similar sections of a song. The basic spacing and rhythm should be similar, while patterning can vary. This is to ensure players do not get confused when playing the same rhythm twice.
should rather say section and back this up that a composition of objects based on a song should not be vastly different if a repeated section is played as a more logical argument because most of the times this does not confuse players, it just does not make much sense from a game design perspective

Desperate-kun wrote:

Try to spread your object placement evenly across the playfield. Objects cluttered in one region of the screen can be uncomfortable to play when there isn’t clear intent behind their placement.
similar approach to getting rid of "uncomfortable": the composing area is an entire screen so it should be used for keeping placement balanced, unless the idea is to clearly do otherwise. If you randomly end up just being in the same place you could argue that you mapped yourself into circles and should attempt to balance your placement given that you have a ton of space left out.

also get rid of contraction "isn’t" -> is not
those
Objects on or ending on nothing in the music is still wrong, even if the popular opinion doesn't agree. If you're allowed to put stuff where there isn't anything, why bother creating a rule set at all?

Setting a slider end to volume 0 is a band-aid solution to the problem. If there's nothing in the music, the player has to hold for an arbitrarily long time. It no longer becomes a skill to play sliders when you have to guess when it will end (1/4 to the next beat? 1/6? 3/8?). Having a slider end on a beat in the music eliminates this ambiguity. Furthermore, the only reason these sliders of arbitrary length exist is because the game for some reason does not allow an object to play at another object's end. If there's nowhere in the music for you to end the slider before the next time you want to click, the correct solution is to not use a slider at all.
Endaris
Well, there exist hold sounds that fade out - theyre not fit to use a circle but there's no distinct end. I'm thinking of the ending slider of MiddleIsland Aldo [Angelhoney] and similar usage cases here.
If there's a context you can put the sliderend into I certainly agree with you but I think trivialising sliderendusage isn't the way to go.
show more