forum

General Pokemon Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Lanturn
well they released the japanese video now on their youtube. Cool stuff. Note that Team Skull's pokemon are not in Pokéballs, but Ultra Balls and such.

NaomiMinette
And here's the English trailer:

Faust

Loving this thing already.
Navizel
it's ya boy guzma
NaomiMinette
Lmfao, epic pic, Faust XD
EneT
Ummm... I don't know if anyone else here plays competitive pokemon or not but I just got back to playing pokemon showdown after a 2-3 year hiatus and damn the competitive meta seems so different. Clefable is so much cancer now; I love it.
Navizel
competitive what? smogon? vgc 15/16?
Lanturn
GG anime.

Live Pokémon Sun/Moon stream at Gamescom starting shortly: https://www.twitch.tv/nintendodeutschland

New Content:

During the Gamescom presentation by Battle Director Shigeki Morimoto, we learned some new information about Sun & Moon. First, we saw a new Z-Move used by Pikachu which was Normal-type called Hyper Sprintangriff in German, translates to Hyper Sprint Attack. In addition to this, a world first reveal came which showed a new Pokémon, Turtonator, which is Fire/Dragon-type with the ability Shell Armor and a new move called Shell Trap which will cause the opponent to get hit by an explosion of damage if it hits Turtonator in the same turn.

Note English name is Turtonator.

EneT

Navizel wrote:

smogon obvs; vgc mostly consists of weird double battles.
Navizel

EneT wrote:

Navizel wrote:

smogon obvs; vgc mostly consists of weird double battles.
meh. I like VGC more cause it's much more fast-paced. But yes, Clefable is viable now since it became a Fairy and got a +10 on SpA. Heck, even Clefairy is viable in VGC because of Friend Guard.

btw do steps count toward egg hatching when you're offline in Pokemon Go?
Hika
nope @ Navi

I don't think it has background app refresh properly enabled but that's just what I think
Cause I haven't tried
NaomiMinette
Another unannounced trailer:

Razzy
I think Stufful just made my heart melt <3

also, no, you have to have the app open on your screen in order for distance to count
Lanturn
Well I just found my favorite fighting type for this Gen... And I don't mean that cute little bear. It's got a tag sticking out of its butt.

Sandcastles look great still. I love the shovel that spins on Palossand's head.

ps. Someone should really update the opening post.

http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com
NaomiMinette
I can't do that anymore, orz...
EneT
lol, this full team Mega-Lopunny sweep I did was pretty funny.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-421526629

Oh yeah if anyone here has competitive knowledge/experience I would appreciate some help by rating my pokemon team. Missing 2 generations of competitive has just made me an absolutely clueless, terribad player and ever since I started playing again I've made a bunch of horrible teams. This is the first Mega Lopunny-based team I've made; I've only made Mega Gardevoir and Zard X based teams prior to this one.
boop
Fresh Jordans (Lopunny-Mega) (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch

Flame Nommer (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

KFC (Talonflame) (M)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Taunt

Magic Mike (Amoonguss) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Clear Smog

Anal Plug (Excadrill) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Cancer (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect
Navizel
KFC (Talonflame) (M)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Taunt
uhhhh. 120 of BB>110 of Acrobatics. No items is terrible. You might as well use Hawlucha instead of Talonflame. Not sure about SD.. try overheat/flare blitz.

EneT wrote:

lol, this full team Mega-Lopunny sweep I did was pretty funny.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-421526629
not sure about the Fake Out on Turn 12. Mega Lopunny is faster anyway.
EneT
You should pretty much use Fake Out whenever you can; it has priority+3 and will always flinch the enemy, doesn't matter if it's not effective, it's close to a no counterplay move that can only be used the first turn the user is in battle.

The purpose of the Talonflame is to be a priority attacker and kill the things Mega Lopunny has trouble killing such as Keldeo and Tech Breloom. Reason I don't go BB/Flare Blitz is because Acrobatics along with stealth rock support is enough to OHKO the things I need Talonflame to kill. I also don't need Flare Blitz since I don't really need a fire type move other than the Lava Plume Heatran has; any threat that has a weakness to fire such as Scizor or grass types are walled off by my team, anything else is dealt by Mega Lopunny and Choice Scarf Excadrill. The Talonflame isn't supposed to function as a sweeper, it's a priority user/revenge killer that I need alive to support Mega Lopunny, so unnecessary damage from recoil on a pokemon that is already easy to kill is unneeded. I go for HP EVs instead of Speed EVs because it already has priority with Gale Wings and the HP allows it to be a pivot into steel types forcing them to switch out, believing I have OHKO capability with Flare Blitz.

TL;DR It's a counter to Mega Lopunny's counters.
Also, isn't Overheat a special move? Would be weird to make Talonflame a mixed attacker.

I've tried playing with a team a high ranking player gave me and I've reached 1600 elo with it(Pro status is around 1800+) so my game knowledge is still there, I'm just lacking in teambuilding because all the X&Y pokemon are new to me and all the new moves/type weakness changes/megas are something I still need getting used to.
Endaris
If you use a pokemon with acrobatics for competitive you should definitely use a flying gem over no item as the gem will be consumed before the game checks whether or not you hold an item.
EneT
I see, thank you; never knew such an item existed because I stopped playing sometime before the B&W gen. Will do.

Oh Flying Gem is banned in OU tier. Makes sense since it sounds OP as hell.
PyaKura
Except Gems are long gone ever since 6G, so no. Else Acrobatics Talonflame would be a lot more common (it is already the most used set anyways, but Flying Gem is a free nuke able to break past anything that does not resist it).

From my experience I find Taunt on bulky SD Talon to be a bit lackluster versus more offensive teams (which I end up against a lot more frequently than balance or stall) so I like to run Apicot/Salac Natural Gift (ground/fighting) to bait things that normally counters it such as Heatran among other things, but that also means I gotta use Brave Bird for consistency if there is no need for Natural Gift. The former is especially an issue for me so this variant works a bit better for me than regular w/ Taunt, and it basically makes Heatran a setup fodder. Note that I play with a Bulky Offense team which forces a lot of switches to begin with to rack up SR damage and considering that it usually affords to tank a few hits from resisted moves (only issue being if the berry gets accidentally consumed...), I use it to break past through any last Steel wall in my way after SD and Roost if necessary, and finish the sweep with BB spam.

I mean the most common Talon counters and checks are pretty much all weak to Ground and/or Fighting, and the only downside you get fromnot Taunting is maybe getting paralyzed which is meh because Gale Wings anyways.

Overheat is cool if you don't want recoil damage I guess? Idk it sounds iffy but it should work versus Scizor, maybe?
Navizel

EneT wrote:

You should pretty much use Fake Out whenever you can; it has priority+3 and will always flinch the enemy, doesn't matter if it's not effective, it's close to a no counterplay move that can only be used the first turn the user is in battle.
When you're going to win anyway what's the point? Not like Heatran has any priority move and protect isn't really a common move in Singles.

The purpose of the Talonflame is to be a priority attacker and kill the things Mega Lopunny has trouble killing such as Keldeo and Tech Breloom. Reason I don't go BB/Flare Blitz is because Acrobatics along with stealth rock support is enough to OHKO the things I need Talonflame to kill. I also don't need Flare Blitz since I don't really need a fire type move other than the Lava Plume Heatran has; any threat that has a weakness to fire such as Scizor or grass types are walled off by my team, anything else is dealt by Mega Lopunny and Choice Scarf Excadrill. The Talonflame isn't supposed to function as a sweeper, it's a priority user/revenge killer that I need alive to support Mega Lopunny, so unnecessary damage from recoil on a pokemon that is already easy to kill is unneeded. I go for HP EVs instead of Speed EVs because it already has priority with Gale Wings and the HP allows it to be a pivot into steel types forcing them to switch out, believing I have OHKO capability with Flare Blitz.

TL;DR It's a counter to Mega Lopunny's counters.
Also, isn't Overheat a special move? Would be weird to make Talonflame a mixed attacker.
Eh. sounds like a waste of slot. Latios? Gengar? Hawlucha? Zapdos if you will.
Regarding Overheat Tflame.

EneT wrote:

I see, thank you; never knew such an item existed because I stopped playing sometime before the B&W gen. Will do.

Oh Flying Gem is banned in OU tier. Makes sense since it sounds OP as hell.
Gems don't even exist in Gen 6 except for Normal Gem but you're better off using Life Orb than that thing.
EneT

Navizel wrote:

When you're going to win anyway what's the point? Not like Heatran has any priority move and protect isn't really a common move in Singles.

Hi jump kick has a 90% accuracy and I've already been traumatised in missing Leaf Storm twice in a row with Serperior so I ain't risking shit. If it misses then mega lopunny gets one shot and she basically did nothing, you might aswell whittle them down on the off-chance you do miss.

Navizel wrote:

Eh. sounds like a waste of slot. Latios? Gengar? Hawlucha? Zapdos if you will.
None of those have priority moves and nearly every single priority move is physical. All those pokemon are special except for Hawlucha and Zapdos is mostly never used as a sweeper and mostly used as a defensive defogger anyways because it only has 100 base speed and poor move coverage to fit it's typing and stats. The purpose of Talonflame in this team is to outspeed those that outspeed Mega Lopunny; Mega Lopunny has a base speed of 135 and all you listed are slower than that. Taking that into consideration, nothing in OU outspeeds Mega Lopunny apart from Mega Manectric who ties in speed, Choice Scarfers and Priority users.

Suggestions on a better priority user and choice scarfer that checks most of these would be much appreciated because I don't really like having a pokemon with 4x weakness to rock in my team. I haven't delved into UU yet which is actually the primary tier I like to play in so maybe there's a better option there?

Navizel wrote:

Gems don't even exist in Gen 6 except for Normal Gem but you're better off using Life Orb than that thing.
Ah ok, I'll stick to acrobatics for this team though. I use Life Orb BB/Flare Blitz offensive SD Talonflame on my other teams but it has no place in this specific team.

PyaKura wrote:

Except Gems are long gone ever since 6G, so no. Else Acrobatics Talonflame would be a lot more common (it is already the most used set anyways, but Flying Gem is a free nuke able to break past anything that does not resist it).

From my experience I find Taunt on bulky SD Talon to be a bit lackluster versus more offensive teams (which I end up against a lot more frequently than balance or stall) so I like to run Apicot/Salac Natural Gift (ground/fighting) to bait things that normally counters it such as Heatran among other things, but that also means I gotta use Brave Bird for consistency if there is no need for Natural Gift. The former is especially an issue for me so this variant works a bit better for me than regular w/ Taunt, and it basically makes Heatran a setup fodder. Note that I play with a Bulky Offense team which forces a lot of switches to begin with to rack up SR damage and considering that it usually affords to tank a few hits from resisted moves (only issue being if the berry gets accidentally consumed...), I use it to break past through any last Steel wall in my way after SD and Roost if necessary, and finish the sweep with BB spam.

I mean the most common Talon counters and checks are pretty much all weak to Ground and/or Fighting, and the only downside you get fromnot Taunting is maybe getting paralyzed which is meh because Gale Wings anyways.

Overheat is cool if you don't want recoil damage I guess? Idk it sounds iffy but it should work versus Scizor, maybe?
Would you say will-o-wisp is a better option than taunt or do you use an acrobatics-BB combo? I don't like teams that rely on a pokemon that takes half health from switching into stealth rock, not that anyone would do that but it's a hassle to spin/defog it off; adds another element of hassle. I'm actually surprised a pokemon like Talonflame is in OU tier, back in DP days you'd never see a pokemon with a 4x weakness to rock in OU.
Navizel
Hi jump kick has a 90% accuracy and I've already been traumatised in missing Leaf Storm twice in a row with Serperior so I ain't risking shit. If it misses then mega lopunny gets one shot and she basically did nothing, you might aswell whittle them down on the off-chance you do miss.
My point still stands. There's no difference if you use HJK after/before Fake Out. It was a miniscule damage anyway.

The purpose of Talonflame in this team is to outspeed those that outspeed Mega Lopunny
Literally who lmao. Go for Tailwind or something if you're still afraid of that.

Zapdos is mostly never used as a sweeper and mostly used as a defensive defogger anyways because it only has 100 base speed.
Doesn't mean you can't. It has Heat Wave for Breloom and Tbolt for Keldeo. If you really don't want to then go for Thundurus.

I'm actually surprised a pokemon like Talonflame is in OU tier
gale wings
EneT
It still gets hit for half health if you switch it into stealth rock though.

Choice scarfers and priority users outspeed Lopunny. On the team my friend gave I primarily use the choice scarfed Landorus-T to handle Mega Lopunny.

Navizel wrote:

My point still stands. There's no difference if you use HJK after/before Fake Out. It was a miniscule damage anyway.

10% isn't miniscule and a lot of times can decide a game. If High Jump Kick missed lopunny would have died and I would have nothing to beat that Heatran well as it walled the rest of my team apart from Excadrill who was dead. The reason why stealth rock is so good and needed in pretty much every team is because it better guarantees a OHKO so you don't have to rely on a low/high roll on moves that sit on the 80-100% mark. If you don't know what I mean by that, every move does not have a guaranteed set damage, the damage you do is also based on luck because there's a minimum and a maximum and the game rolls to determine what damage you get. Alot of moves sit at the 80-100% damage possibility mark so stealth rock helps with that. That being said, 10% is definitely not miniscule.

Here's a good example I found. As you can see Outrage has a chance of dealing 86.9 - 102.1% damage and by clicking on it you can see the probability of it being OHKO is only 18.8%

Earth quake on the other hand only does 10% more damage but by clicking on it you can see:

It has an 81.3% chance of being an OHKO. It may only be a 10% difference in damage but it's a massive increase in chance so whoever says 10% damage is miniscule in pokemon is wrong.
Navizel
Of course I know lol. Do you really think I don't know that even though I play competitive. Not sure what's the comparison for. Obviously EQ does more cause it's super effective to Raikou. Yeah SR and other entry hazards are annoying but that's why you have Excadrill right? Also without SR Tflame can sweep most of the pokemon in the meta before they can even move because priority Brave Bird.
EneT
Exactly the reason why I chose it as my priority move user.
PyaKura
@EneT yes WoW is a solid spammable move early game when you don't wanna predict switches, but in my case I already have M-Gardevoir as a burn spreader. Really depends on which physical sweepers may cause you trouble though. And no I don't run BB + Acrobatics, the damage difference is negligible and I prefer a situational Natural Gift over replacing any other moves apart from Taunt. But as I said this is only because my team allows me to do so, I have not taken a close look to your team so idk. Taunt is obviously a good move if you are confident you can eliminate what stands in Talonflame's way, unlike me lol.

Also Ho-oh has 4x rocks and was/is Uber. Ninjask back in DPPt was OU (okay, it was a suicide BP lead). Well nowadays a lot of the new Pokémon (including Megas) have either insane stats and/or abilities so the tradeoff is well worth it (off the top of my head Talon and M-Pinsir). I'm only a bit disappointed by the limited number of spinners available to support SR-weak mons as I find Defog clunky to use, especially since I like to lay down mine right off the bat and phaze like a bitch until enough hazard damage is done.
EneT
Okay, thank you.

Ho-oh's overly bulky stats allowed it to switch into SR though and thus made it a must ban, especially if you were running a toxic stall Ho-oh with recover/roost.
Faust
Was facing a few players online through Pokemon Alpha Sapphire after a year of not playing others and god damn is every single team except Japanese people full of Legendaries.

Still managed to woop their asses though.

I did better in Triples than in Doubles, running a team of Garchomp, Aerodactyl, Metagross, Dusknoir, Milotic & (Mega) Kangaskhan.

Aerodactyl having the highest kill rate since I one-shot the flying-type legendaries like Ho-Oh, Yvetal & Rayquaza etc.
Mega Kangaskhan doing a nice job of having explosive damage after bringing in for Retaliate (pretty much kills everything)
followed by Power-Up Punch if I encounter a wall.
Let it have Sucker Punch just in case, and Outrage for sweeping though I wouldn't like Return (Didn't bother to make it max friendly)
EneT

Faust wrote:

Was facing a few players online through Pokemon Alpha Sapphire after a year of not playing others and god damn is every single team except Japanese people full of Legendaries.

Still managed to woop their asses though.

I did better in Triples than in Doubles, running a team of Garchomp, Aerodactyl, Metagross, Dusknoir, Milotic & (Mega) Kangaskhan.

Aerodactyl having the highest kill rate since I one-shot the flying-type legendaries like Ho-Oh, Yvetal & Rayquaza etc.
Mega Kangaskhan doing a nice job of having explosive damage after bringing in for Retaliate (pretty much kills everything)
followed by Power-Up Punch if I encounter a wall.
Let it have Sucker Punch just in case, and Outrage for sweeping though I wouldn't like Return (Didn't bother to make it max friendly)
That's why I don't like wi-fi battles; mostly filled with kids with Uber-tier pokemon, that being said, Mega Kangaskhan is also an Uber-tier pokemon, so using it makes you no better than them. The lower tier you go, the more quality the pokemon battles have so I generally like UU and NU better.
Faust
Except my team isn't entirely consisted of Legendaries, I've faced just about every single combination you can come up with if you mix and match every Legendary there is and I'm not kidding.

That's why I don't really have a hard time with them anymore. I already know what's coming.
The best battles I've had were with the Japs and their tricky line-ups.
They're fucking insane in Triples, I almost can't believe it.
EneT
Just play on the Battle Spot if you want to stop playing against those teams. Battle spot restricts the use of legendaries above 600 base stats but even then, it doesn't restrict bullshit like Speed Boost Blaziken, Aegislash, M-Kangaskhan, M-Mawile, M-Lucario, M-Salamence and Protean Greninja; in turn, it restricts legendaries that aren't even considered bannable or over-powered like Jirachi and Manaphy. Nintendo and the pokemon 3DS scene in general has poor balancing.
Faust
Yup. I have to say the last time I went online I didn't encounter so many same-Pokemon teams.

I pulled out Mega Kangaskan as an alternative to Mega Aerodactyl when I get really sick of it.

I prefer the latter, which is my main offensive sweeper for the team.
Tough Claws + Fly is enough to decimate plenty of non-resistant Pokemon.
Navizel
hahahahaha how the fuck is kangaskhan op hahaha like nigga use gallade hahahahahaha

also Mythical Legendaries are banned cause not everyone can get them.
NaomiMinette
So... gonna break this convo for a moment. This was posted recently:

EneT

Navizel wrote:

hahahahaha how the fuck is kangaskhan op hahaha like nigga use gallade hahahahahaha
That argument is invalid because if that was the case then any fighting type pokemon could beat kangaskhan. It can just fake out dealing 50% health then switch out while Gallade gets OHKO by every single priority user. With your argument you can say that a pokemon like Mewtwo isn't OP because it gets one shot by Sucker Punch which is stupid because it is still OP.

Competitive in DS is a lot less about strategy and more about who can make the best team so in a strategic standpoint, it is very un-balanced. With Smogon rules they take account all strategic and tactical possibilities and balance the game by placing pokemon in tiers. M-Kangaskhan is just OP, well tested by thousands of people by using against other top tier teams and it is a cut above anything in OU, hence why it belongs in Uber class while M-Gallade just borderlines the bottom of OU.
Navizel
except MGallade has Inner Focus and Kang is already dead before it can even switch. Although some are maybe smart enough to go straight for Sucker Punch and if that's the case, you can probably get a free SD.

also that was a joke. Kang is OP yes but Gallade counters her.
Faust
Mega Gallade wouldn't be stopped by Fake-Out yeah and 1 Sucker Punch is still not enough after trading hits unless they op for Shadow Claw or something.
EneT
itsss ya boi Azumarill with the 1744 attack stat
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-422429473

edit:
Also fuck this cancer
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-422454411
show more