forum

General Pokemon Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Nofool
Apparently after reaching lvl100, pokemons will be able to still increase their stats. Does it mean the years of breeding to get perfectly stated pokemons is over or... ? That's a lot of time i wasted :?

I wonder if they are gonna keep the x/y/oras system for bonus statistics or make something even easier now
Navizel
It depends how available bottle caps are. I'd still rather have my non legendaries bred though.
NaomiMinette
Heads up: the Volcanion distribution is finally happening this October for the rest of the world. North America will be via GameStop serial code cards; no clue for Europe, though. Also, here's the movie trailer for Volcanion and Magearna:

PyaKura

Navizel wrote:

It depends how available bottle caps are. I'd still rather have my non legendaries bred though.
This. I doubt they'll be easy to acquire, so I imagine they are there to fix your almost perfect Pokemon to a perfect state, full of 31s. Also means lucky shiny hatchlings will see some competitive use.
Hika
Niantic posted an official letter to its players last night, explaining why they decided to implement the recent updates.

lol what.
NaomiMinette
Some of the stuff on here actually surprised me:

Nofool

PyaKura wrote:

Also means lucky shiny hatchlings will see some competitive use.
hmm yeah considering how hard it is to get shiny + max stats even by hatching, that's cool but sad at the same time because this was seen as a big achievement (happened like only twice to me in thousands of tries), seeing full shiny competitive teams is gonna be lame now. . .
Navizel
a "leak" apparently. take it with a grain of salt
PyaKura

Navizel wrote:

a "leak" apparently. take it with a grain of salt
I'd quote an user from Smogon but it seems that any talk about baseless "leaks" get deleted until further reveal/evidence...

Anyway it was along the lines of "the leak was also posted on 4chan, but I doubt it's legitimate since the OP over there basically said "hey look I put the names of pokemon revealed in other leaks so what I say has to be true!". The guy most likely created those names after the actual revealed names and mixed in some made-up pokemon names to make it sound real"

I gotta say that's the leak I'm believing in the least for now. Until some of its predictions come true it's probably wise to put it aside.
NaomiMinette
I honestly don't believe this list, but if at least two of those get announced this Friday (the next Sun/Moon news announcement), maybe then I'll start believing it.
Lanturn
Aye. I saw this yesterday but I don't really believe it. I do want the dolphin Pokemon though.
PyaKura
New CoroCoro scans on serebii.net

Dark-type Meowth, perhaps implying a Dark-type Persian? I'm so digging this.
Ghost/Fire-type Marowak (nice nod Game Freak)

New sandcastle-like critter, I like its looks. Its prevo, not so much.
New fish with an alternate, school form.

Bewear's prevo revealed, and uuh it's as meh as I think Bewear is.

I really do hope other gen's mons are also getting Alolan forms. Not that I have an issue with gen I per se, but it feels, idk, like a real commercial move to do considering it's Pokemon 20th anniversary.
Lanturn
and that list is already busted. gg. Thanks baby bewear.

Nice to see we got conformation on the Marowak as well.
NaomiMinette
Here's the full details for everything that was leaked today (via Serebii):
  1. The fish is Yowashi which is a Water-type and appears to have the ability to change its appearance from its Single Form into a larger fish, its School Form.
  2. The little sandcastle is called Sunabaa while the big one is called Shirodesuna. Both are Ghost/Ground-type. Sunabaa is a grudge that dwells inside a pile of sand turns into a Pokémon. Truly a terrifying creature. Shirodesuna steals the life force from other Pokémon. Those Pokémon's grudges turn into a new Sunaba.
  3. Pre-evolved Bewear is called Nuikoguma and remains Normal/Fighting. Nuikoguma is very popular among women and children and tops the lists of Pokémon people want to meet. It hates being touched and will kick and struggle to resist. It's very powerful, but once it evolves into Bewear it truly gains herculean strength.
  4. Alolan Meowth is Dark-type. It developed after being bred by the royal family of Alola.
  5. Alolan Marowak is Fire/Ghost-type. It developed in response to its natural predators in order to resist them.
  6. We also see the first bits of the antagonist team, Team Skull. Its boss is called Guzma and the girl is Plumeri.
  7. Next month's issue will contain a poster featuring Rockruff's "Secret Evolution".
Navizel
So is it Ghost type because of Cubone's mom
NaomiMinette

Navizel wrote:

So is it Ghost type because of Cubone's mom

Blazevoir wrote:

It developed in response to its natural predators in order to resist them.
I'd say based off of this, it was hunted to death and is now something similar to a vengeful spirit >.>;

It's not too farfetched because there have been worse Pokédex descriptions out there...
Lanturn
Looks like one more Corocoro leak.

From serebii of course.

Namakobushi: Said to be able to send its insides out from its mouth and use as a fist.

It's speculated to be a water/fighting type since a Namako is a Sea Cucumber and the Fist it sends out / Kobushi (means fist)

Kinda loving this thing already.
NaomiMinette
These were supposed to be showcased tomorrow/this Friday, but apparently they got leaked early: http://nintendoeverything.com/rumor-new-pokemon-alola-forms-shown-in-sunmoon-leak/
La Volpe
That alolan Raichu is so cute omg.
Lanturn
well they released the japanese video now on their youtube. Cool stuff. Note that Team Skull's pokemon are not in Pokéballs, but Ultra Balls and such.

NaomiMinette
And here's the English trailer:

Faust

Loving this thing already.
Navizel
it's ya boy guzma
NaomiMinette
Lmfao, epic pic, Faust XD
EneT
Ummm... I don't know if anyone else here plays competitive pokemon or not but I just got back to playing pokemon showdown after a 2-3 year hiatus and damn the competitive meta seems so different. Clefable is so much cancer now; I love it.
Navizel
competitive what? smogon? vgc 15/16?
Lanturn
GG anime.

Live Pokémon Sun/Moon stream at Gamescom starting shortly: https://www.twitch.tv/nintendodeutschland

New Content:

During the Gamescom presentation by Battle Director Shigeki Morimoto, we learned some new information about Sun & Moon. First, we saw a new Z-Move used by Pikachu which was Normal-type called Hyper Sprintangriff in German, translates to Hyper Sprint Attack. In addition to this, a world first reveal came which showed a new Pokémon, Turtonator, which is Fire/Dragon-type with the ability Shell Armor and a new move called Shell Trap which will cause the opponent to get hit by an explosion of damage if it hits Turtonator in the same turn.

Note English name is Turtonator.

EneT

Navizel wrote:

smogon obvs; vgc mostly consists of weird double battles.
Navizel

EneT wrote:

Navizel wrote:

smogon obvs; vgc mostly consists of weird double battles.
meh. I like VGC more cause it's much more fast-paced. But yes, Clefable is viable now since it became a Fairy and got a +10 on SpA. Heck, even Clefairy is viable in VGC because of Friend Guard.

btw do steps count toward egg hatching when you're offline in Pokemon Go?
Hika
nope @ Navi

I don't think it has background app refresh properly enabled but that's just what I think
Cause I haven't tried
NaomiMinette
Another unannounced trailer:

Razzy
I think Stufful just made my heart melt <3

also, no, you have to have the app open on your screen in order for distance to count
Lanturn
Well I just found my favorite fighting type for this Gen... And I don't mean that cute little bear. It's got a tag sticking out of its butt.

Sandcastles look great still. I love the shovel that spins on Palossand's head.

ps. Someone should really update the opening post.

http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com
NaomiMinette
I can't do that anymore, orz...
EneT
lol, this full team Mega-Lopunny sweep I did was pretty funny.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-421526629

Oh yeah if anyone here has competitive knowledge/experience I would appreciate some help by rating my pokemon team. Missing 2 generations of competitive has just made me an absolutely clueless, terribad player and ever since I started playing again I've made a bunch of horrible teams. This is the first Mega Lopunny-based team I've made; I've only made Mega Gardevoir and Zard X based teams prior to this one.
boop
Fresh Jordans (Lopunny-Mega) (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch

Flame Nommer (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

KFC (Talonflame) (M)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Taunt

Magic Mike (Amoonguss) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Clear Smog

Anal Plug (Excadrill) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Cancer (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect
Navizel
KFC (Talonflame) (M)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Taunt
uhhhh. 120 of BB>110 of Acrobatics. No items is terrible. You might as well use Hawlucha instead of Talonflame. Not sure about SD.. try overheat/flare blitz.

EneT wrote:

lol, this full team Mega-Lopunny sweep I did was pretty funny.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-421526629
not sure about the Fake Out on Turn 12. Mega Lopunny is faster anyway.
EneT
You should pretty much use Fake Out whenever you can; it has priority+3 and will always flinch the enemy, doesn't matter if it's not effective, it's close to a no counterplay move that can only be used the first turn the user is in battle.

The purpose of the Talonflame is to be a priority attacker and kill the things Mega Lopunny has trouble killing such as Keldeo and Tech Breloom. Reason I don't go BB/Flare Blitz is because Acrobatics along with stealth rock support is enough to OHKO the things I need Talonflame to kill. I also don't need Flare Blitz since I don't really need a fire type move other than the Lava Plume Heatran has; any threat that has a weakness to fire such as Scizor or grass types are walled off by my team, anything else is dealt by Mega Lopunny and Choice Scarf Excadrill. The Talonflame isn't supposed to function as a sweeper, it's a priority user/revenge killer that I need alive to support Mega Lopunny, so unnecessary damage from recoil on a pokemon that is already easy to kill is unneeded. I go for HP EVs instead of Speed EVs because it already has priority with Gale Wings and the HP allows it to be a pivot into steel types forcing them to switch out, believing I have OHKO capability with Flare Blitz.

TL;DR It's a counter to Mega Lopunny's counters.
Also, isn't Overheat a special move? Would be weird to make Talonflame a mixed attacker.

I've tried playing with a team a high ranking player gave me and I've reached 1600 elo with it(Pro status is around 1800+) so my game knowledge is still there, I'm just lacking in teambuilding because all the X&Y pokemon are new to me and all the new moves/type weakness changes/megas are something I still need getting used to.
Endaris
If you use a pokemon with acrobatics for competitive you should definitely use a flying gem over no item as the gem will be consumed before the game checks whether or not you hold an item.
EneT
I see, thank you; never knew such an item existed because I stopped playing sometime before the B&W gen. Will do.

Oh Flying Gem is banned in OU tier. Makes sense since it sounds OP as hell.
PyaKura
Except Gems are long gone ever since 6G, so no. Else Acrobatics Talonflame would be a lot more common (it is already the most used set anyways, but Flying Gem is a free nuke able to break past anything that does not resist it).

From my experience I find Taunt on bulky SD Talon to be a bit lackluster versus more offensive teams (which I end up against a lot more frequently than balance or stall) so I like to run Apicot/Salac Natural Gift (ground/fighting) to bait things that normally counters it such as Heatran among other things, but that also means I gotta use Brave Bird for consistency if there is no need for Natural Gift. The former is especially an issue for me so this variant works a bit better for me than regular w/ Taunt, and it basically makes Heatran a setup fodder. Note that I play with a Bulky Offense team which forces a lot of switches to begin with to rack up SR damage and considering that it usually affords to tank a few hits from resisted moves (only issue being if the berry gets accidentally consumed...), I use it to break past through any last Steel wall in my way after SD and Roost if necessary, and finish the sweep with BB spam.

I mean the most common Talon counters and checks are pretty much all weak to Ground and/or Fighting, and the only downside you get fromnot Taunting is maybe getting paralyzed which is meh because Gale Wings anyways.

Overheat is cool if you don't want recoil damage I guess? Idk it sounds iffy but it should work versus Scizor, maybe?
show more