forum

Always show exact difficulty rating.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Sea_Food

As you can see from the screen shot, the client shows the *diff of that song to be a rounded number of 4. The actual rating of the song is 4,00. Not going to explain to younger kids here what is the difference between 4 and 4,00 but there is, you will learn it in more advanced math classes in school. With same logic now that we have decimals for other ratings aswell (CS, AR, OD and HP) they should have exact values shown as well (example 6,0) although that does not hurt my eyes as much because when I joined this game there were no ratings of those things in 1 decimal accuracy, for diff ratings there has always been.
Bara-
I agree
It feels weird that it all "misaligns" when clicking a different map (one which has x,x0 or x,00)
abraker
Also why are those values using a comma and not a period? @_@
Redon
[ Koutei Monev]
I don't think is necessary to specify x.00 or x.x0. like just leave it at 3 or 3.3. the 0 in 3.00 or 3.20 are just a useless number on the screen.
only need to specify when x.0x, like 5.05

abraker wrote:

the use of a comma and a period depends in countries, there's no rule saying you should always use one thing for this and the other for that ( http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/63335.html )
Adder

venomnk wrote:

I don't think is necessary to specify x.00 or x.x0. like just leave it at 3 or 3.3. the 0 in 3.00 or 3.20 are just a useless number on the screen.

abraker wrote:

the use of a comma and a period depends in countries, there's no rule saying you should always use one thing for this and the other for that ( http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/63335.html )
but the whole world is switching to period-only for decimal mark, even in my country, it used to be comma
Topic Starter
Sea_Food

venomnk wrote:

Except that its not an useless number. 3 and 3.00 are not the same values.
_handholding

Sea_Food wrote:

Not going to explain to younger kids here what is the difference between 4 and 4,00 but there is, you will learn it in more advanced math classes in school
Well I'm in my 3rd year in Uni studying Maths and I'm pretty sure that "4" and "4.00" are the exact same numerical value.

I honestly dont get the point in this, the thread title says "always show the exact difficulty rating" yet in the screen shot its shown. Do you have a severe case of OCD that happens to get triggered every time you see this or something?
Full Tablet
Since star rating is a double-precision float number, it is calculated with 52 binary digits of precision (about 15.65 decimal digits of precision).

For a measured variable that is not an integer and has limited precision, the amount of digits after the dot/comma is commonly used to indicate the precision of the measure.

For example, if the result of the measure is "4.", that means that the value was measured to be a value in the interval [3.5,4.5[, while if the result was "4.00", the value is a number in the interval [3.995,4.005[. Omitting the dot in the notation means that the value calculated was exactly 4 (which in this case it's not true, "4" in the game client means what usually "4.00" means).

In the end, both ways to notate the values are understandable if one knows that all values are shown with 2 decimal digits of precision for the decimal component (so one translates A to A.00, and A.B to A.B0). Ways to notate numbers aren't universal standards.

For the other variables (that are shown with 1 decimal digit for the decimal component). Those values are written in the.osu file as either an integer or a number with decimal digits, but are stored in the beatmap database as a single precision float number (which can't take numbers such as 4.1 exactly). If the game engine uses the values in the .osu file, then the notation shown in the game is correct, but if the values are converted to a float number by the game, then it should always display the decimal digit after the dot/comma.
Topic Starter
Sea_Food

Kisses wrote:

Sea_Food wrote:

Not going to explain to younger kids here what is the difference between 4 and 4,00 but there is, you will learn it in more advanced math classes in school
Well I'm in my 3rd year in Uni studying Maths and I'm pretty sure that "4" and "4.00" are the exact same numerical value.

I honestly dont get the point in this, the thread title says "always show the exact difficulty rating" yet in the screen shot its shown. Do you have a severe case of OCD that happens to get triggered every time you see this or something?
Where I live, since middle school you would get points taken off your math test if you answered "4" to a question where the correct answer was "4,00" (4,000 would be wrong as well) And no I dont have OCD, to me its just confusing that the number after 3,99 is 4.
[ Koutei Monev]
Why the confussion, man? Is just basic numbers. No need to get so fused about it. Even mathematicians agree that "4=4.000000000000..." .

That in your school they marked it as wrong doesn't mean it applies everywhere in the world. One of the few cases that numbers include the decimals, even if it's ".000", is in economy. But here in the game it doesn't make any difference
Redon
Seijiro

venomnk wrote:

here in the game it doesn't make any difference
Valco
Significant figures are a mechanic used in mathematics, usually but not limited to, the sciences, and they indicate the precision of a value. 4.00 has 3 significant figures, while 4 has only 1. While these have the same numerical value, they have very different meanings in terms of precision. When you round, you lose precision, meaning any further calculations made with the rounded value will be inaccurate.
Endaris

Qwan wrote:

any further calculations made with the rounded value will be inaccurate.
Clue is: There are no further calculations.
This thread is just about "there is no explicit convention that each star diff is accurate with 2 decimal places even if there are none".
That's not even a feature that's just like holding your arms up and screaming "humanity started using the decimal system".
abraker

Endaris wrote:

Clue is: There are no further calculations.
Players can make statistical analysis of the data, hence further calculations
Endaris
Stop ignoring context.
The other clue was that there's an implicit convention that 4 := 4.00.
I'm sure you stopped explicitly stating that you're using Einstein convention for writing down stuff with loads of sums.
Stefan
This request looks like a huge joke.