forum

Natural Learning

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Serenus1
tl;dr Version:
What can I learn naturally and what do I have to practice to get better at it?

Long Version:
So, my brother is at around rank 1k-2k right now. He is pretty good at osu! in general and I have learned quiet a lot from him. He also told me that if I wanted to get better at e.g. streams I have to play streamy maps, which does make sense. Also the secret "Play more" strat helped me alot getting better. There is only 1 thing that I am really asking myself and that is What will I learn by just playing the game / how far can I improve and what do i have to practice in order to get better at it? When I start up Osu! I usually press F2 and just play the map I get. No retry, no PP farming, thats all I do.( I spend most of the time playing offline anyways) And I actually enjoy osu! the most that way. Sometimes I add mods, sometimes I play without them and most of the times try to get a high combo / accuracy. I have a pretty big map pool so I actually never get a song twice in a week or so. I want to get better at streaming some day, but I feel like playing deathstreaming maps for months is not what i want to do and I guess will never enjoy it. I do add some random stream maps from time to time but it actually just makes me play worse because I suck so hard at them.( Same goes for Heavy Jump maps but they are prob. just out of my level right now. I feel like improving in every aspect of the game expect for long streams which usually do not appear that often if I play random maps) I dont mind if it takes me 2 years to learn something naturally but if its actually possible to get better at it by just playing more random maps then I'd be really really happy.(This is not supposed to be only about Long streams. Also talking about Consistency Accuracy and especially Speed and Stamina etc.)
StephOsu
nothing
you can learn nothing naturally
everything in this game is about practice, and thus play more
Xyrus_old_1
You can always try putting maps into Collections based on what type of map it is, e.g. putting maps with streams into a "Finger Destruction" Collection , then F2ing that. That way, you're still playing a random map, but limiting the pool of maps to ones that are relevant to the area you want to practise in particular.
Endaris
You need to get a feeling for your fingers and a map's speed.
Play some maps from this list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
All contain microstreamy patterns that train your fingercontrol. Streaming will be much easier once you got good at these shorter 1/4 patterns.
Sayorie
Literally play more.

And here's the catch: don't be afraid to play more

What I mean is that, if you ever see yourself having difficulties with aim, streaming, jumps, patterns, etc etc etc, then don't instantly rush to the forums and ask how "git gud", etc.
You'll only get the same answer everytime, which is play more.

Reminder that improvement does not come suddenly—it comes in increments.
dung eater
if you struggle doing something and feel it drains your soul it's good practice
Fxjlk
Ok so I'm going to assume you mean learn naturally = learning without much effort. It really depends on your attitude toward the game, If you are having a lot of fun playing and you enjoy pushing your boundaries to try and do better, gaining rank will be really easy. However if you have a habit of playing the game without bothering to feel the rhythm or you tend to play games mindlessly and repeat the same mistakes every time you play gaining ranks will be harder.

Above all a positive mindset and a enjoy the journey rather than the goal type of thinking will help you push through any plateaus. Ok I'm going to stop now cause my post is becoming a bit rambly. Hope that helps.
Xyrus_old_1

M3ATL0V3R wrote:

Ok so I'm going to assume you mean learn naturally = learning without much effort.
Going from the context of the post, I'd assume he means what you can learn from playing any and every map, as opposed to only playing maps that focus around a certain area, e.g. stream maps, jump maps, etc. in order to improve on those areas in particular.

e.g. does playing any map, regardless of whether it has s strem or not improve your streaming?

That's how I read it anyway.
Deva
If you have big map pool (10k maps at least) then imo just spamming f2 and playing whatever you get is best way to for balanced improvement, your whole skill set will improve gradually. But if you spam deathstreams 24/7 then you will get good at them but your aim/reading/whatever wont really improve.

tl;dr
just keep doing what you already are doing
Yuudachi-kun
My total standard map pool is ~3500 max. 8-)

My collections total to no more than 500

Who needs all those maps
Barusamikosu

Khelly wrote:

Who needs all those maps
me
Deva

Barusamikosu wrote:

Khelly wrote:

Who needs all those maps
me
no you dont. really.
I have around 6000 and i play like only 1/8 of that
Barusamikosu

HK_ wrote:

no you dont. really.
but I like trying new maps
Deva
Trying new maps is not the same as having 98765354678965756587659786 maps you wont even play ever.
Yuudachi-kun
Just playing a map once isn't enough - you have to identify which maps are of high enough quality and difficulty to actively improve upon or try for fc on then add it to your collections.
Deva

Khelly wrote:

Just playing a map once isn't enough
sight reading says otherwise
Barusamikosu

Khelly wrote:

Just playing a map once isn't enough - you have to identify which maps are of high enough quality and difficulty to actively improve upon or try for fc on then add it to your collections.
It's not about improvement I just like playing new map. If I want to get a good score on a map or use it to improve I will save it anyway

HK_ wrote:

Trying new maps is not the same as having 98765354678965756587659786 maps you wont even play ever.
I have 98765354678965756587659786 I will eventually play if I don't quit the game first
Deva
o well thats your thing hf
Endaris
Considering Baru already played more maps than you own...
Yuudachi-kun
And still has no aimmmm
Barusamikosu

Khelly wrote:

And still has no aimmmm
:(
Xyrus_old_1

Barusamikosu wrote:

Khelly wrote:

And still has no aimmmm
:(
My aim too... :cry:
Topic Starter
Serenus1
Going from the context of the post, I'd assume he means what you can learn from playing any and every map, as opposed to only playing maps that focus around a certain area, e.g. stream maps, jump maps, etc. in order to improve on those areas in particular.

e.g. does playing any map, regardless of whether it has s strem or not improve your streaming?

That's how I read it anyway.
That's actually what I ment.That's actually what I ment. An example would be "Will I be able to play Dragonforce/xi/Demetori Maps if I just random play through millions of maps?" It's just an example but thats something that bothers me while playing osu!. I don't mind playing more, but would you define playing more as in "Play more [Insert weakness here] maps" or "Play more in general"?
Xyrus_old_1

Serenus1 wrote:

An example would be "Will I be able to play Dragonforce/xi/Demetori Maps if I just random play through millions of maps?" It's just an example but thats something that bothers me while playing osu!. I don't mind playing more, but would you define playing more as in "Play more [Insert weakness here] maps" or "Play more in general"?
You will eventually learn to read harder and harder maps by playing harder and harder maps, for which F2 is ideal, so long as you narrow down the pool, i.e. "star>x.x".

When trying to increase the speed at which you can stream and aim, you'll want to focus on high BPM maps. Personally, I use whatever BPM I can manage to play normally (few 100s from overstreaming, no understreaming), then add 10. I also focus on DTing triplets at even higher BPMs, but I can't say for sure if that's helping my streaming or not.

As for stamina, you want to focus on playing deathstreamy maps that are made up of short bursts and slider, like Goreshit maps. Pure deathstreams are also good, just pick one with a BPM you can play.
Endie-

Khelly wrote:

I can perfectly "identify which maps are of high enough quality" by just playing them once.

OT: Simply playing more is the best solution to learn how to play.
Yuudachi-kun

Endie- wrote:

Khelly wrote:

I can perfectly "identify which maps are of high enough quality" by just playing them once.

OT: Simply playing more is the best solution to learn how to play.
I never said that wasn't the case - I said you have to do that THEN decide to keep playing those maps