forum

Best Mods to Pick up Early?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ron_mario
Hi! I'm currently around rank #80,000 and I was looking to start playing some mods. I know mods are usually played by people with much better ranks, but I thought it couldn't really hurt to play some mods on easier maps around 4.5*. Does anyone have any opinion on the best mod to start with? I know DT is not very useful when it comes to improving skill other than speed, HR helps with acc and reading skills, and HD helps with following the beat, but wich one is the best to start with? Any answers are appreciated! :)
-sev
Easy
Endaris
HD won't ruin you. HR might ruin you. Easy is easy.
Topic Starter
ron_mario

Kaienyuu wrote:

Easy
Hmm... So you'd just play the EZ mod on harder maps?
Sayorie
PF
Topic Starter
ron_mario

Arthraxium wrote:

PF
lol...
silmarilen
EZ and HD are probably the best mods to play if you're not at extra level diffs yet. EZ is a bit of a special case tho. You don't need it, but being able to play it may give you an advantage on certain kinds of maps (usually the more technical maps). The problem is that, despite it's name, it's hell and tbh, it's hardly worth it unless you're the kind of person that likes to set gimmicky scores.

HD is mostly to teach you to listen to the music and be patient with pressing your buttons, instead of trying to play whack a mole (which too many people do nowadays tbh).

You can play DT, since it doesn't really change anything about the map, just speeds it up, to become faster. I personally wouldn't wait too long with it (like i did, and now i still have trouble with most 200+ bpm), but i wouldn't focus on it too much either because that would cost you the ability to play slower maps.

You should stay away from HR until you can already consistently fc 5+ star maps and get good acc on them (only a few 100s, 99.5% acc or something). And you should play it for the accuracy, not for the AR. If you feel like you're starting to put HR on maps because otherwise the AR is too low you've taken the wrong road.
Xyrus_old_1
I'd recommend HD if you can get 99% acc on AR8-9 maps, there isn't any point to learning HD if you currently have problems reading the maps with nomod. If you do decide to learn HD, just play either AR8.0 or 9.0. Playing 7 or lower is a bad idea to start out with as you have to wait longer between seeing a circle and the beat that circle represents actually happening. It will probably take you a month before you can read HD properly as you have to get used to memorizing the positions of the circles then aiming for them, as well as reading the difference between whole, 1/2, 1/4 notes, etc. with just the time the hit circle appears and disappears as a guide.

DT is also fine and is probably the best choice if you can't get good accuracy yet, just keep the AR and OD 2 levels below what you play nomod.

EZ is also fine to pick up, just prepare to suffer as your brain adapts to the higher level of density in the map...along with lower CS (the mod was originally implemented back when CS6+ was popular, so it doesn't really work as an "easy" mod anymore).

As far as I'm aware, it's never too early to play FL, but like EZ, it changes the map completely and you need to memorize instead of read.

HR is a waste of time until you can handle AR10 OD10, if you play it now, you'll find you reach a point where you can't progress because of the jump from AR8.4 and OD6 to AR9.8 and OD8.4.

silmarilen wrote:

You should stay away from HR until you can already consistently fc 5+ star maps and get good acc on them (only a few 100s, 99.5% acc or something).
Bear in mind this ^ refers to more difficult maps. I can easily 99% FC 5.0 - 5.5 TV sizes with 99+% acc, however I cannot FC the more difficult maps in the same range, nor can I read any higher than about AR9.5 properly or even get good acc on most OD9 maps

Edit:-

Khelly wrote:

I don't think it's applying to technical maps because then you'd never touch hr ever.
Yeah, not sure why I wrote "technical"...I meant higher BPM, AR and OD
Yuudachi-kun
I don't think it's applying to technical maps because then you'd never touch hr ever.
Barusamikosu
Just play everything and have fun
StephOsu

Barusamikosu wrote:

Just play everything and have fun
FrzR
NoMod
mizuki-chan
DT is fine on many maps below ~bpm 180 i think.
chainpullz

Khelly wrote:

rekhichem
I recommend HD , it does not realy change the map itself + it's nice to start early with it to master it faster, as long as you're aiming for a high accu.
Lagel
HD
-Makishima S-
HDHRDTFL or no balls
StephOsu

[Taiga] wrote:

HDHRDTFL or no balls
you forget the PF mod
Hibiya-chan
HD is <3 <3 <3
winber1
auto
semaphore

silmarilen wrote:

You should stay away from HR until you can already consistently fc 5+ star maps and get good acc on them (only a few 100s, 99.5% acc or something).
oh what the fuck have i been doing
Rosten
Early on you should probably play Hidden or nomod honestly. Hidden won't screw you up like HR or DT will, plus if it helps you learn to pay more attention to the music it'll help your acc.

Play EZ if you like hating yourself.

"You should stay away from HR until you can already consistently fc 5+ star maps and get good acc on them (only a few 100s, 99.5% acc or something)."

Is that even possible.
Yuudachi-kun
He'a just being a retard - 98% on od9 is enough.
Endie-

Khelly wrote:

anything below 99 is a discrace
Yuudachi-kun

Endie- wrote:

Khelly wrote:

anything below 99 is a discrace

You would love to see my 70% 6.97* fc
Rosten
I mean... Really. How many people who aren't in the top 1k can consistently FC 99.5% 5* songs? I can't even consistently 99.5* most 3*...
Yuudachi-kun

Rosten wrote:

I mean... Really. How many people who aren't in the top 1k can consistently FC 99.5% 5* songs? I can't even consistently 99.5* most 3*...
I can't consistently 95% most things on any diff
Rosten

Khelly wrote:

Rosten wrote:

I can't consistently 95% most things on any diff
More evidence that cookie isn't actually human.
Yuudachi-kun
What
StephOsu

Rosten wrote:

Khelly wrote:

What
Barusamikosu

Khelly wrote:

What

Rosten wrote:

Fixed the order for you Steph
StephOsu

Barusamikosu wrote:

Khelly wrote:

What

Rosten wrote:

Fixed the order for you Steph

Khelly wrote:

What
show more