forum

WebM support?

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +57
Topic Starter
Avail_old_1
In-game video support for the WebM format?

Reasons why I'm requesting this is cause it has really good compression and quality.
720p ED of an anime, less than 10mb
720p OP of an anime (with a lot of action), only 13mb

It's also fairly easy to encode:
ffmpeg -i filename.mp4 -ss startingtime -to endingtime -an -vf scale 720:-1 -c:v libvpx -b:v bitrate -y outputname.webm

-i specifies input file
-ss specifies the starting time (where to start encoding, f.e. if it's an anime episode that's 20min long, and the ED starts afterwards, you can specify -ss 20:10.600 if it starts then)
-to same concept as -ss, but this one is for when to end it
-an makes it encode without audio, since we already have the .mp3 of the song
-vf scale specifies heightxwidth, we leave one of the two as -1 so it doesn't lose aspect ratio
-c:v libvpx specifies to encode it as vpx, or, webm
-b:v specifies bitrate (must append K to it)
-y specifies the new file's name
QuadPiece
I stand for this. I've used WebM for almost a year now and I just love it
Nathanael
Uhh.. t/97868 ?
Topic Starter
Avail_old_1

Nathanael wrote:

Uhh.. t/97868 ?
That one's two years old, the last reply was a year ago
Vathlauss
Support as soon as I get more stars!
Nathanael
Well I guess we can let this thread run instead of letting it remain on that thread with multiple requests.
deadbeat

Avail wrote:

Nathanael wrote:

Uhh.. t/97868 ?
for what it's worth, thread age it completely irrelevant in feature requests. bumping old requests is more desired than creating duplicate threads
QuadPiece

deadbeat wrote:

Avail wrote:

for what it's worth, thread age it completely irrelevant in feature requests. bumping old requests is more desired than creating duplicate threads
This one has already surpassed the old one in terms of stars though. Also it's a bit more specific than "Larger formats compatibility"
deadbeat
the fact that this has more s.p is also irrelevant since the OP could of easily supported the idea in the pre-existing thread
QuadPiece

deadbeat wrote:

the fact that this has more s.p is also irrelevant since the OP could of easily supported the idea in the pre-existing thread
Hmm, well I won't argue with you deadbeat-sama~
IppE
Instead of just doing -b:v whatever you should also use the -crf command in which case the bitrate specified in -b:v becomes the maximum allowed bitrate instead of the average. This is far more effective because it allows the encoder much higher flexibility with the bitrate.

Plus, x264 will compress better in 9/10 cases anyway, using VP9 or H.265 would actually gain significant improvements in terms of compression (in the future when the encoders and decoders for each format are actually properly matured)
abraker
Bump, why not WebM?
fb39ca4
Because H.264 compresses better and most computers have hardware decoding for it.
I hate to hijack this WebM thread in support of H.264/MP4, but I have agree with fb39ca4. WebM is optimized for online streaming as a superior replacement to gifs, which is irrelevant to osu!'s upload/download video distribution. Furthermore, H.264 is the better codec (compared to V8/V9) in terms of quality as well as decoding speed, due to hardware support in most modern chipsets.

I do not think the other thread is relevant anymore, as it has devolved into discussion about audio formats. Although WebM and MP4 are container formats that include audio streams, Osu! does not utilize the audio stream, and all videos must be muted before adding them to the beatmap. Thus Osu! will continue to use mp3 as it's audio format, which is fine by me (supporting free downloads of higher quality music would be an unwise decision for peppy). Also, there appear to have been some misconceptions in the other thread:
  1. The "trick" of renaming MP4 to AVI is a hack that will not work on many machines.
  2. H.264 in AVI is possible but requires some hacks which not all players support. All players that do support it also support MP4. Also putting H.264 in AVI means you cannot utilize hardware decoding, which is one of the main benefits of using M.264.
  3. MP4 does not require paying royalties as an end user. I'm not exactly sure how peppy is currently doing video decoding so licensing may or may not apply. However, this is a pro for WebM as it is license free.
  4. As a comparison of container formats, both MP4 and WebM are better than AVI, which after 26 years has still not fixed problems related to aspect ratio, video stream compression methods, and large overhead filesize
  5. See point 2
In conclusion, both MP4 and WebM are much better than AVI, and H.264 is mildly better than V8, so either one of them getting support in the future would be great. I've still added stars to this thread instead of starting another thread just for MP4/H.264 because the moderators would probably get pissy.
Dexus
WebM is a container which isn't what should be looked at. I would be more in favor of supporting VP10 once it becomes available. VP8 is outdated and at the very least I would want HEVC, but I believe there are licensing issues.

On a side note: video playback is irrelevant. I think it would be cool if the videos played in the menu background, but aside from that I don't think many players would bother with having the background visible during gameplay at least. It's cool and shows off a bit for new players which AVC does it's job fine.