forum

Score submission queueing improvement

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +26
Topic Starter
Antiforte
Note: This was originally posted in the Development forums, but I re-posted it here because it felt like the wrong place to post this, and it wasn't garnering a lot of attention.

From the way I see it, osu! queues scores to be resubmitted in "power of two" minute intervals if it doesn't work properly. If this is the case, I wondered why it couldn't just be held in queue and submitted once it detects that a stable connection is established?

Example of (what I think is) the current score submission queueing behavior:
A submission is attempted for a recent beatmap score. If the submission fails, it is queued and scheduled to resubmit in one minute. If it fails again, it is scheduled to resubmit in two minutes. This continues for four minutes, eight minutes, 16, 32, 64, 128. This is kind of an inefficient way to handle the queueing of score submission.

Example of theoretically better(?) queueing:
A submission is attempted for a recent beatmap score. If the submission fails, it is queued and scheduled to resubmit in one minute. If it fails again, it is queued and waits for when a new score successfully submits. Once the submission for a new score does work, the queued scores will be submitted, one after another.

This would benefit those who have unstable connection or lost connection for extended periods of time. Of course, this does not negate any mechanics regarding the dismissal of scores from the queue (time limit, leaving osu!, etc.).

I'd love to hear your opinion on this, whether you're a player with Reese-level fiber optic connections or a player in an undeveloped country with 0.3 mbps speed. We all eventually suffer some form of downtime, right?
Jukkii
I think this a good idea
Bara-
I completely agree. I often get that message, and it's rather annoying, as it keeps popping up every now and then. And since it keeps popping up, it means it keeps failing. If it just submits later when it all goes succesfully, that'd be mch better!
abraker
Who's brilliant idea was it to time out while going in powers of 2 to start with?

Or excellent request btw, I left some invisible stars in case you cant see them
Topic Starter
Antiforte
I like the support here! :)

If you have a better idea, or maybe a suggestion to tweak the procedures I provided, you can post them here.
Pawsu
I think this would benefit the submission system. This is a good idea.
Underforest
agree tbh
Kirinya
I agree.

What is the current score resubmission implementation?

Just recently, I fced something when the score submission API was down. 5 minutes and 15 seconds later, score submission came back online - but my score was never submitted. I was online in multiplayer the whole time - no new maps were started until after 30 seconds after score submission came back online.