forum

[Proposal] Catch the Beat ruleset draft (General)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Deif
After some meetings with the rest of the members of the Criteria Council and some deliberation, we came up with some updates on the draft of the general ruleset. Check out the OP for them:
  1. Inclusion of glossary from original document
  2. Redefinition of timing jump to borderline dash
  3. Moved AR=OD to Guidelines and added caveat that OD cannot decrease over difficulties
  4. Clarified combo length guideline by adding NC clears plate
  5. Transfer of hyperdroplet rule to a guideline, should be used only on sliders with simple paths with explanation. Statement of intent for hyper usage on tails/repeats
  6. Gave an example of when STR can be changed, reworded some negative text
  7. Hdash border rule – clarified second object to destination, other issues clarified in Glossary
  8. V1 skins no longer required, will reword once skin update is rolled out to Stable builds
As a reminder: The thread will be locked for further deliberation on the 8th May at 23:59 UTC. Make sure to post your opinion before that date!
ZiRoX
Contribute please
Haskorion
The only thing I can contribute is that the skinning changes were already pushed to Stable (Latest). Don't wait for Stable (Fallback) as this stream is not intended to stay when osu!next comes afaik.
xi-False
Kill me c:
Riari

Deif wrote:

After some meetings with the rest of the members of the Criteria Council and some deliberation, we came up with some updates on the draft of the general ruleset. Check out the OP for them:
  1. Redefinition of timing jump to borderline dash
As a reminder: The thread will be locked for further deliberation on the 8th May at 23:59 UTC. Make sure to post your opinion before that date!

Can we reword this? a borderline dash makes it seem like a note you'd find in a cup or or a salad that you'd dash for when you don't need to in that situation.
Absolute Zero
Please notify me if anything i've said (in blue) is not necessarily true.

xi-False wrote:

Impossible Maps?- From what I know CTB maps are meant to be as smooth as possible and Have generally good flow. But we should be able to make maps as hard as "Odoru Mizushibuki"-Death Dance and have them still be rankable. And the reason why I say this is because in all honesty this does not effect the community very much. The only problem I see going on by allowing this to happen is more players mapping impossible maps. But even then Im pretty sure not everyone is going to do that. Also if you can't play the beat map that's what a full spread of for.
I mean, if you're able to pull it off, I don't see why you can't make a map as hard as that. It's just very hard to make an extremely difficult but well-liked map that doesn't have strange problems with it. The example you've given is a convert and those don't necessarily follow the same guidelines as specifics since they're made for standard, not CtB. We are not going to rank impossible maps, also. I hope, at least. There is no specific "rule" that bars the mapping of these maps, either.

Jumps-We should also allow 1/12 Jumps to be a thing, This sounds really crazy and i know that 1/12 jump are fairly easy and give tons of PP but until we start exploiting the PP algorithm system. The people in charge of handling that job will not make changes. Also For Example Exgon, his map "At the Speed of Light" is really fricken good, but not rankable. it's not impossible either. if all the other ruled applied to his beat map having a full spread and what not. I see no issues with allowing this to happen!(Side note: I also find it really annoying how OSU players brag about how much harder Standard is compared to CTB, that's only because Star difficulty for CTB is broken when it comes to hyper jumps)
1/8, 1/12, and 1/16 tend to be about context! Specifically, bpm. While it may be possible, a series of jumps can be uncomfortable or pretty awkward to play, and the less time there is, the more awkward it gets. This points more at, say, repeated 1/12 jumps, which are generally discouraged because of uncomfortable play. At the speed of light is not as much about the jumps more than the overall playability, I feel. And the 1/16 spinners. Remember that "good" is subjective, too!

Naming-Most recently Ascendance told me they did not allow him to change the Diff of his Beatmap to "Ascendance heaven". This is a pretty big problem, I really enjoy expressing myself through the names of my Difficulties which is part of the mapping experiance. I also don't see an issue with this, it's totally friendly kinda funny and does not affect other players much. yea they won't be able to find it if they type in overdose but the mapper should have more freedom when it comes to Naming His beat map. Secondly Difficulties are made to show progression on beatmap but this is a approval map I'm talking about their is no progression. Lastly i also think Difficulties names should not "Have" to show progression I should be able to call my 1* map overdose and my 7* map Salad just to give the mapper more freedom (Im just using this as an example i really don't want to name my 1* map overdose) I'll go backwards. We have naming conventions because SR is a really inaccurate measurement of difficulty. These naming conventions allow us to put general guidelines and also make it easier for us to sort difficulties. If we just had random names, then it would be very confusing to even judge each diff. The consistency is what makes the system easy to remember in the first place. The first point you brought up was rather not allowing the person to put their username in the diffname. There was no other real issue besides that, as far as I know.
ZiRoX

xi-False wrote:

Don't Nerf Our Maps, Nerf Our Ranking Criteria
What.

xi-False wrote:

Impossible Maps?- From what I know CTB maps are meant to be as smooth as possible and Have generally good flow. But we should be able to make maps as hard as "Odoru Mizushibuki"-Death Dance and have them still be rankable. And the reason why I say this is because in all honesty this does not effect the community very much. The only problem I see going on by allowing this to happen is more players mapping impossible maps. But even then Im pretty sure not everyone is going to do that. Also if you can't play the beat map that's what a full spread of for.
There's no limit to how hard a map can be, as long as the song is calling for it. Anyone with common sense wouldn't make an Overdose for Dango Daikazoku, for example.

xi-False wrote:

Jumps-We should also allow 1/12 Jumps to be a thing, This sounds really crazy and i know that 1/12 jump are fairly easy and give tons of PP but until we start exploiting the PP algorithm system. The people in charge of handling that job will not make changes. Also For Example Exgon, his map "At the Speed of Light" is really fricken good, but not rankable. it's not impossible either. if all the other ruled applied to his beat map having a full spread and what not. I see no issues with allowing this to happen!(Side note: I also find it really annoying how OSU players brag about how much harder Standard is compared to CTB, that's only because Star difficulty for CTB is broken when it comes to hyper jumps)
1/12 jumps are not unrankable by definition. I don't see a problem with that as long as they're used fine. Regarding Star Rating that's something we can't do anything about.

xi-False wrote:

More Jumps-Im not really familiar with Slider jumps but i know for a fact there are no ranked CTB Specific maps with good slider jumps, so if that's unrankable. please, allow us to rank that TwT
Slider jumps are based on a gameplay element that doesn't exist in CtB: slider leniency. In standard you don't have to release a slider perfectly in time, while in CtB you're required to catch that sliderend as not doing so will break the combo.

xi-False wrote:

Naming-Most recently Ascendance told me they did not allow him to change the Diff of his Beatmap to "Ascendance heaven". This is a pretty big problem, I really enjoy expressing myself through the names of my Difficulties which is part of the mapping experiance. I also don't see an issue with this, it's totally friendly kinda funny and does not affect other players much. yea they won't be able to find it if they type in overdose but the mapper should have more freedom when it comes to Naming His beat map. Secondly Difficulties are made to show progression on beatmap but this is a approval map I'm talking about their is no progression. Lastly i also think Difficulties names should not "Have" to show progression I should be able to call my 1* map overdose and my 7* map Salad just to give the mapper more freedom (Im just using this as an example i really don't want to name my 1* map overdose)
The thing with Ascendance's diff was already clarified and he should be able to name it like that. Secondly, you're able to use custom names as long as they properly convey their relative difficulty. And they should, because as you said, we cannot rely on Star Rating completely as it's somewhat broken.
xi-False

Absolute Zero wrote:

1/8, 1/12, and 1/16 tend to be about context! Specifically, bpm. While it may be possible, a series of jumps can be uncomfortable or pretty awkward to play, and the less time there is, the more awkward it gets. This points more at, say, repeated 1/12 jumps, which are generally discouraged because of uncomfortable play. At the speed of light is not as much about the jumps more than the overall playability, I feel. And the 1/16 spinners. Remember that "good" is subjective, too!
Good ZiRoX said they are rankable, if used properly :)

Absolute Zero wrote:

I'll go backwards. We have naming conventions because SR is a really inaccurate measurement of difficulty. These naming conventions allow us to put general guidelines and also make it easier for us to sort difficulties. If we just had random names, then it would be very confusing to even judge each diff. The consistency is what makes the system easy to remember in the first place.

Good point Absolute Zero. Even though this Rule is put in place for Consistency i will have to Disagree with you because. I can not imagen a large amount of mappers to name their Diffs with inconsistency over and over again. but at the same time I can't say for sure. Yes we might get one person be annoying and confuse you but this sacrifice of allowing a few people to do that will be worth it for the majority of people who will name their Difficulties within a reasonable name.

Also im Really Really sorry if i come off as Rude i dont wanna be rude to anyone TwT
BoberOfDarkness
I can make overdose for dango but nobody likes CS8 :^)
xi-False

ZiRoX wrote:

There's no limit to how hard a map can be, as long as the song is calling for it. Anyone with common sense wouldn't make an Overdose for Dango Daikazoku, for example.
-Im not sure if you've played Odoru but, the spacing on that beatmap is Ridiculously hard. no one has FCed it yet in the CTB Community. but i know for a fact you can get an SS on it. im saying For Example, if i were to map "Odoru Mizushibuki"-Death Dance as it is right now, will it be rankable still?, with most of the jump being almost frame perfect.

ZiRoX wrote:

1/12 jumps are not unrankable by definition. I don't see a problem with that as long as they're used fine. Regarding Star Rating that's something we can't do anything about.
-true we cant change the star rating ourselves but in away we can. I believe if we were to allow High Star maps like 15 or 20 to be ranked. that will catch the attention of the people in charge of the Star system and maybe make them feel obligated to change it.

ZiRoX wrote:

Slider jumps are based on a gameplay element that doesn't exist in CtB: slider leniency. In standard you don't have to release a slider perfectly in time, while in CtB you're required to catch that sliderend as not doing so will break the combo.

-Is this unrankable then im not sure.

ZiRoX wrote:

The thing with Ascendance's diff was already clarified and he should be able to name it like that. Secondly, you're able to use custom names as long as they properly convey their relative difficulty. And they should, because as you said, we cannot rely on Star Rating completely as it's somewhat broken.
- I gave my Counter argument to Absolute Zero.
JBHyperion

Riari wrote:

Deif wrote:

1. Redefinition of timing jump to borderline dash
Can we reword this? a borderline dash makes it seem like a note you'd find in a cup or or a salad that you'd dash for when you don't need to in that situation.

Suggestions on an alternative wording? "Timing jump" was just as vague :/

BoberOfDarkness wrote:

I can make overdose for dango but nobody likes CS8 :^)

Nobody likes CS8 because it's inherently unrankable, as it requires editing of the .osu to achieve. Any alterations to this rule are not up for debate, as made clear by the game developers.

xi-False wrote:

ZiRoX wrote:

-Im not sure if you've played Odoru but, the spacing on that beatmap is Ridiculously hard. no one has FCed it yet in the CTB Community. but i know for a fact you can get an SS on it. im saying For Example, if i were to map "Odoru Mizushibuki"-Death Dance as it is right now, will it be rankable still?, with most of the jump being almost frame perfect.

Odoru is a convert map. It is not a specific. It is not intended to be played in this game mode. Further discussion using this as an example is likely to misguide us. CtB criteria should be based on what we want to see in specifics, not converts

ZiRoX wrote:

-true we cant change the star rating ourselves but in away we can. I believe if we were to allow High Star maps like 15 or 20 to be ranked. that will catch the attention of the people in charge of the Star system and maybe make them feel obligated to change it.

Deliberately breaking something to prove how broken it is isn't a solution. You wouldn't beat someone up to demonstrate that violence is wrong. Also, as has been mentioned the Star Rating system is flawed and easily manipulated with the right knowledge. Prevention is better than cure here.

ZiRoX wrote:

It's irrelevant, as ZiRoX explained. Sliderjumps do not exist in CtB, so discussing their rankability is a moot point.
Zak
The only 2 things I really wish to respond to are the argument for "Impossible maps" and difficulty names.

First off, impossible maps should and likely never be rankable, nothing in any game should be 100% unachievable, that's just silly, and I'm fairly certain the game developers have no desire to allow anything that no one is able to do. This does not mean you can't make extremely hard maps, but you're going to have one hell of a rough time getting them ranked, but should you choose try, then good luck.

And no, we do not need to be more flexible with difficulty names, as many people took advantage of it in the past to make difficulty names that made literally no sense for the sole purpose of being funny, not creativity, you still have plenty of freedom with the names, so there's not really any real creativity being disallowed.
Sorceress

JBHyperion wrote:

Suggestions on an alternative wording? "Timing jump" was just as vague :/
Maybe "Borderline Hyperdash" or how about "Near Hyperdash". As Riari said, "Borderline Dash" sounds like a jump where the distance is far apart enough you almost need to dash but actually don't.
xi-False

Zak wrote:

The only 2 things I really wish to respond to are the argument for "Impossible maps" and difficulty names.

First off, impossible maps should and likely never be rankable, nothing in any game should be 100% unachievable, that's just silly, and I'm fairly certain the game developers have no desire to allow anything that no one is able to do. This does not mean you can't make extremely hard maps, but you're going to have one hell of a rough time getting them ranked, but should you choose try, then good luck.
Impossible Maps are just a Phares im using, I don't want Maps that are literally impossible to be ranked. Also how come maps that are Extremely hard, are of greater challenge to get ranked. Is it due to people just not mapping them correctly?

Zak wrote:

And no, we do not need to be more flexible with difficulty names, as many people took advantage of it in the past to make difficulty names that made literally no sense for the sole purpose of being funny, not creativity, you still have plenty of freedom with the names, so there's not really any real creativity being disallowed.
True truueee.
xi-False

JBHyperion wrote:

Odoru is a convert map. It is not a specific. It is not intended to be played in this game mode. Further discussion using this as an example is likely to misguide us. CtB criteria should be based on what we want to see in specifics, not converts
-I'm not sure how to put this but, i guess what I'm trying to say is even though it's a convert map, I would still like the CTB Ranking Criteria to be able to follow the spacing rules and difficulty jumps of Odoru not necessarily meaning i want to follow the rules of the osu-standard ranking critieria. I'm using "Odoru Mizushibuki"-Death Dance as an example of Difficulty. because the spacing of notes CS:size and Slider speed is what makes Odoru hard. maybe a better example would be Blastix by: CLSW

JBHyperion wrote:

Deliberately breaking something to prove how broken it is isn't a solution. You wouldn't beat someone up to demonstrate that violence is wrong. Also, as has been mentioned the Star Rating system is flawed and easily manipulated with the right knowledge. Prevention is better than cure here.
Good point xD
Do you think we can change that in the future perhaps?!

JBHyperion wrote:

ZiRoX wrote:

It's irrelevant, as ZiRoX explained. Sliderjumps do not exist in CtB, so discussing their rankability is a moot point.
Ok I've never used slider jumps. RIP Slider Jumps :(
Zak

xi-False wrote:

Impossible Maps are just a Phares im using, I don't want Maps that are literally impossible to be ranked. Also how come maps that are Extremely hard, are of greater challenge to get ranked. Is it due to people just not mapping them correctly?
That is part of the reason, another is the fact we just don't have anything CLOSE to the hardest we can actually have in ranked yet at all and several people wish for us to just jump straight to things that would end up being like 8+*, and that's just not the right way to go about it, we should make some sort of progression going further and further up as the community grows and evolves more, which also leads to another problem: the size of the community. We have so few modders/mappers as it is and even fewer that are actually qualified enough to actually deem those maps as ready and no one wants to just rank some 8* map just because only a few people went through and said it was acceptable, you generally want a lot more mods on any map and with something hard you usually want more than normal simply because you want to make sure it retains it's difficulty while still being fun instead of well... being difficult just to be difficult.
Topic Starter
Deif
Something that came to my mind while looking for skinning sets, taken from https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Skinning_Catch_the_Beat and https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1815373882 is the usage of the element "lighting.png", which appears on kiai times at the bottom of the screen following the path that the fruits would take while dropping.

That element also seems to be part of the skinnable elements of the catcher, but its usage is optional. A guideline in the Skinning section about this topic wouldn't hurt:

1. Custom catchers can additionally include the element "lighting.png" to complete the skin set. This element is however optional to add and should only be used in non-osu! beatmaps.
Wording can be improved though :p

Also, self-reminder for the next meeting: I was told the definition of "borderline dashes" can be improved since it's currently not 100% clear.
Drafura
Would like to see as a rule :

Using a shitload of spinners in a short period of time in order to manipulate spinner density should be banned from rankings as it consumes a big amount of ressources (memory and cpu). (You know what I mean try to rephrase this one :p)

-------------

Also there's a global rule wich make no sense in CtB:

A maximum of three slider velocities should be used (including 1x). For example, you could have a single map using 0.6x, 0.8x, and 1x; or 0.75x, 1x, and 1.5x; etc. If more than three slider velocities are used, then they should make sense and be intuitive. If slider velocity changes are able to be merged (e.g. close values like 0.8x and 0.7x) while still flowing/working correctly, then they should be.

In CtB you can get 14 different slider speed just by angling your sliders with only one SV used all map long. Actually this guideline should be std specific so it probably deserves another topic.

-------------

About the amount of fruits in the plate:

I remember the case with sliders having a big amount of returns. Maybe in the guideline description you can explain that those sliders should be cut to create a new combo within the slider itself. This will not change the result in term of gameplay. Another option should be to remove them and map something else because they are ugly and uninterresting to play but heh.
Kurokami
We talked about the spinners first and since there is a global rule which forbids two hitobject at the same time there is no need to include it here as well. As for the consecutive spinners, well, it won't hurt including it as it makes no sense since even the plate won't be empty by dividing it.

About the slider velocity rule, the global part of the RC is on the way with the changes as well (I hope). There is no need to worry about it now, just ignore it.

As for the sliders, maybe we can make a rule "Do not have more than 4 repeat on a slider, because its not interesting to play and generates repetitive movement."
Topic Starter
Deif

Kurokami wrote:

As for the sliders, maybe we can make a rule "Do not have more than 4 repeat on a slider, because its not interesting to play and generates repetitive movement."
I disagree with such a rule. Don't forget kicksliders are an important element that can be used in difficulties probably from Platter on.
Drafura
The main idea for the slider returns is about avoiding too much fruits in the plate (more than making nice patterns). For example you have a 15 returns slider (16 fruits in total) but the guideline limits you to 8 fruits in the plate you should create instead 2 sliders of 7 returns with new combos, one on top of the other one, the only difference is that the plate will empty midway to fit with the guideline.

It's more a mapping technique but it could be useful to new mappers to have a tip on how to easily get a rankable slider without affecting the gameplay, and at the same time save explanations by modders.

Could be worded to something like :
[...] If you feel to map a slider having more than the difficulty fruit limit in the plate due to a huge amount of returns, you should split it to tiny sliders having an allowed amount of fruits and new combos in order to empty the plate during the slider.

Kurokami wrote:

We talked about the spinners first and since there is a global rule which forbids two hitobject at the same time there is no need to include it here as well. As for the consecutive spinners, well, it won't hurt including it as it makes no sense since even the plate won't be empty by dividing it.
Yes, I was talking about consecutive spinners. Hitobjects overlap are autobanned by the general rule indeed.
Kurokami
@Deif I did not talk about kick sliders. That is for 1/2, 1/1s. Anything above should be fine since there is no movement at all.
Kitokofox
Okay, time to do a rundown of our current revision.

Deif wrote:

Gameplay

1. Fruit: A large object represented by a hitcircle, slider head, tail or repeat.
  2. Drop: A medium-sized object represented by a slider tick.
  3. Droplet: A small object representing a slider body. Missing these will reduce your accuracy, but unlike the above, will not result in a combo break.
  4. Banana: An object found during spinners. These award bonus points, but do not contribute to accuracy and are not required to obtain max combo.
  5. Jump: A spacing between two objects that requires the use of dash to catch both.
  6. Hyperjump: A more exaggerated spacing which cannot be caught by normal dashing. During play, hyperdash will be triggered between the two objects, characterised by a coloured outline on the first object.
  7. Borderline dash: A spacing between two objects which requires dash between the opposing borders of the two objects to catch both. The spacing is not quite large enough to create a hyperjump.
  8. Trigger distance: The minimum spacing between two objects at which a hyperdash is generated between them.
[/notice]
What about the Wiggle sliders that kick back and forth? Not sure if that's important enough to mention, but it's always there so why not.

Deif wrote:

Rules

1. Your map must theoretically be possible to SS. This means it must be possible to catch absolutely all fruits, including droplets.
  2. Borderline dashes must not be used in direct conjunction with hyperjumps. This is because such patterns require especially precise movement and force an unreasonable restriction on accuracy required to catch them.
  3. Each map must use at least two different combo colors which must not blend in with the map's background/storyboard/video. This is so hit objects are always visible to the player.
What happened to our rule of spinners being too close to regular fruits? I also propose that Guidelines and Rules be merged into one category. they are both the same in any case.

Deif wrote:

Skinning

Rules

1. Custom catchers mustbe included in both v1 and v2 skin format. This is to ensure correct display on all skins. The required filenames are "fruit-ryuuta.png" (v1), "fruit-catcher-idle.png", "fruit-catcher-kiai.png" and "fruit-catcher-fail.png" (v2).
  2. Custom fruits must include all necessary elements and be colored in a scale of grey colors. This is to ensure that your images are clearly defined and of acceptable quality. The needed elements can be found in the osu! wiki https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Skinning_Catch_the_Beat#Fruits. Additionally, it is recommendable to use transparent elements for the overlays.

See the draft of the difficulty-specific ruleset here: https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/435598
I additionally think that fruit skin elements should be regulated in a way that they don't "lie" about their hitbox (too big or too small) as I have seen a few skins that have fruits bigger than the actual hit boxes, and it can be frustrating to the player. also, somewhere in here, there's a typo of "mustbe"

Drafura wrote:

Would like to see as a rule :

Using a shitload of spinners in a short period of time in order to manipulate spinner density should be banned from rankings as it consumes a big amount of ressources (memory and cpu). (You know what I mean try to rephrase this one :p)
Agreed, as well as the spamming of other mapping elements that provide "Free combos" ... Not like it'll happen, but it's good to close ends.

Drafura wrote:

A maximum of three slider velocities should be used (including 1x). For example, you could have a single map using 0.6x, 0.8x, and 1x; or 0.75x, 1x, and 1.5x; etc. If more than three slider velocities are used, then they should make sense and be intuitive. If slider velocity changes are able to be merged (e.g. close values like 0.8x and 0.7x) while still flowing/working correctly, then they should be.
I can agree with this, too. I also want to point out t/245521 so we can expand on this and create a slider speed limit so we don't outrun our catcher with sliders.
JBHyperion

Kitokofox wrote:

What happened to our rule of spinners being too close to regular fruits? I also propose that Guidelines and Rules be merged into one category. they are both the same in any case.
This is incorporated in the difficulty-specific ranking criteria - t/435598 - Basically each difficulty will now have it's own "rule" on how much time must be left between spinners and objects.

Rules must not be broken under any circumstance. Guidelines may be broken under certain conditions. I feel it's very important that we keep this distinction of what should "never be done", and what "may work in certain situations, but should be avoided generally unless you really know what you're doing (and have good reason to do so)".
Kurokami

Kitokofox wrote:

Okay, time to do a rundown of our current revision.

Drafura wrote:

I can agree with this, too. I also want to point out https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/245521 so we can expand on this and create a slider speed limit so we don't outrun our catcher with sliders.

Kurokami wrote:

About the slider velocity rule, the global part of the RC is on the way with the changes as well (I hope). There is no need to worry about it now, just ignore it.
Drafura

Kitokofox wrote:

create a slider speed limit so we don't outrun our catcher with sliders.
I don't think SV limit is a good thing. Technicaly you can put any SV and map a slider without any movement. However the way the sliders are mapped is the point wich needs limits (using droplet hyperdashes for example as discussed before).

Adding a limit to SV is too restrictive in term of map design and mapping creativity. I experimented many times working with slider shapes in CtB and when you want to get more control on how droplets are generated having a high SV helps a lot. Even making the same droplet shape generation for two similar sliders is pretty hard at low SV.

I think there's a lot of potentially fun patterns to make with high SV wich have never been mapped before.
Kurokami
Thank you for your feedback guys. We'll check every suggestion and deliberate in a short period of time if the changes are viable or not.
Topic Starter
Deif
After the last meeting with the rest of the members, these are the changes that were took into consideration and were approved. Check out the OP for them:
  1. Borderline Dashes were renamed to "Edge Dashes" and the definition was reworked.
  2. Added a rule about the allowed size of the skinning elements.
  3. Added a guideline to have additional skin elements added.
Most of the other suggestions belonged to the general ranking criteria, which affects all game modes whatsoever. There's no need to add them to the Catch the Beat ruleset to avoid double information.

As a reminder: This will be the last 2-week period to recieve feedback from the community. After locking the thread on the 29th May at 23:59 UTC the ruleset will be discussed one more time with the last recieved comments and ammended by the osu! staff afterwards.
Topic Starter
Deif
Alright, the time is up! Thanks everybody for the effort in this proposal. I hope to see it amended soon, but we need to wait until the high staff approves it.

As there was no further feedback, it's safe to proceed to the next step towards the final approval!
CelegaS
In General -> Rules
"Borderline dashes must not be used in direct conjunction with hyperjumps. This is because such patterns require especially precise movement and force an unreasonable restriction on accuracy required to catch them."
It's Edge Dash now :D

"Hyperdashes should not be used when the destination of the hyperjump is located near the left or right border of the play field. This creates an uncomfortable movement as the catcher is forcibly stopped upon reaching the border of the playfield. Try to leave at least 16 osupixels of space between the end point of the hyperjump and the border of the play field, respectively at x:16 or x:496 at most."
This kind of stream is okay then?
Topic Starter
Deif

CelegaS wrote:

In General -> Rules
"Borderline dashes must not be used in direct conjunction with hyperjumps. This is because such patterns require especially precise movement and force an unreasonable restriction on accuracy required to catch them."
It's Edge Dash now :D
Nice catch! It's fixed now.

CelegaS wrote:

"Hyperdashes should not be used when the destination of the hyperjump is located near the left or right border of the play field. This creates an uncomfortable movement as the catcher is forcibly stopped upon reaching the border of the playfield. Try to leave at least 16 osupixels of space between the end point of the hyperjump and the border of the play field, respectively at x:16 or x:496 at most."
This kind of stream is okay then?
That kind of stream is still okay. Since hyperdashes will lead the catcher to the middle point of the next note and there's no hyperdash or sharp movement in there, it should be safe enough to play.
ztrot
After reviewing this set of rules everything looks good to go! Mind you the catcher skin v2 rules will have to be amended once animation support is enabled. More file names will be required but that is only if you want your catcher animated, so that can be amended at a later time. Looks good I support this proposal as well.
BoberOfDarkness

ztrot wrote:

After reviewing this set of rules everything looks good to go! Mind you the catcher skin v2 rules will have to be amended once animation support is enabled. More file names will be required but that is only if you want your catcher animated, so that can be amended at a later time. Looks good I support this proposal as well.

I support this too but who cares
Haskorion
Why should animation support not be enabled?

They have been animatable since implementation.
Just check one of OsuMe65's recent skins where he has animated catchers: t/399690

Paste them into a beatmap and you will see that the animation plays.

EDIT: Or do you mean like beatmap side animation support as in being able to set a framerate?
Zak
I'm pretty sure there isn't any real animation supported for catchers, just being able to have 2 different catcher images for kiai time and failing, not actual animation.
Haskorion
This just means you didn't even try to animate the catcher.
The simplest way to check if something can be animated is just to temporarily add "-0" to any image. If it gets used it should be animatable.

I even made a video:

http://puu.sh/pja0J.mp4

As you can see the simple catcher changes colours in all states.
ztrot
yes but there will be more states added, if support and assets are created of course.
Loctav
As of today, this set of rules counts as amended. As of the big amount of changes, only beatmaps submitted past this amendment are going under this new set of rules. Every beatmap submitted prior this amendment will get treated and handled under the previous set of rules.

This legacy regulation expires in 6 months from today on. Everything that is not bubbled within the next 6 months will also be treated under the new ruleset then.

Adjustments to the ruleset, when we get the new catcher animations, can be done when we have them.
Monstrata
Custom fruits must include all necessary elements and be colored in a scale of grey colors. This is to ensure that your images are clearly defined and of acceptable quality. The needed elements can be found in the osu! wiki https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Skinning_Catch_the_Beat#Fruits . Additionally, it is recommendable to use transparent elements for the overlays.

---

fruit-drop-overlay.png is this element necessary? It's included in the fruits table on the wiki, but the additional notes say "If image is included, the scoreboard will not use it". Which kinda implies that the image doesn't need to be used. (Using "If" implies theres an option not to use it).

Also: Additionally, it is recommendable to use transparent elements for the overlays.

Move that to guideline. Anything that is "recommendable" isn't an objective rule. You'll confuse people into thinking transparent elements are necessary because its been placed under a "ruleset" instead of a "guideline".
Kurokami
fruit-drop-overlay can only be seen in-game. The scoreboard is using the fruit-drop.png. Yes, its necessary because if you happen to use a custom shape, the one from the standard skin will overlap it which looks really ugly.

Uhm, Guidelines are just as strong as Rules but they might be broken under special circumstances. We used "recommendable" because to use different color you need to know more than just basic skinning as using a wrong colored one might end up just being ugly again and hiding the glow of the Hypers. Which is obviously not recommended at all.

Also, this is already finalized. :c
show more