forum

Osu and DirectX 12 / Vulkan?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SubSpecs
Like the tittle states, what is your opinion?
Personally I think it would be a hassle, and unnecessary, then again, lower ping/latency and higher fps.
But like I said, it would be a hassle.
kretelos
I don't know much about what improvements will DX12 bring, but I don't think it'd be very important for osu! since it's not a very demanding game.
Topic Starter
SubSpecs
Well I think it would be just splendid.
Trying to stream osu at 60fps is a problem, because It for some reason causes shutter lag, limiting osu to 120fps helps a little, but doesn't make the issue disappear.
I stream other games just fine, and I just upgraded my pc just for osu ;_;
Everything on low, Vsync off, fps limit 120, fullscreen and windowed, basically anything, but still the problem persists. OpenGL doesn't help BTW.
Kert
Check if you have a GPU that supports hardware video encoding
Right after I bought R9 290x and chose AMD h.264 coding engine as an output in OBS Studio the stutters dissapeared completely and the latency didn't increase at all
If you have nvidia there's shadowplay or something for the same purpose too
Topic Starter
SubSpecs
Well, for some reason it does not lag now...
I had the latest AMD drivers, but today AMD launcher said there was an update available and I updated it.
Now no more lags. Dunno, maybe prev. driver bug :/

But still, I want to hear your opinions on the matter of DX12 :)
fb39ca4
They would likely help for reducing latency, but much of the userbase cannot use these APIs, so it wouldn't be worth supporting right now.
Espionage724
DirectX 12 is a definite no, for any game imo. Why would you want to use an API that's only available for a single (horrible) OS? Vulkan makes much more sense for being cross-platform and offering the same concept (bare-metal rendering).
FrzR
I don't think DX12/Vulcan would make much of a difference for osu! What osu! really needs is a more stable OpenGL release. The occasional lag spikes are still persistent in the latest builds at least on my system.
Wuxo
DirectX was in the game for long time, and for most people it didn't worked so well. So peppy made you can choose between DirectX and OpenGL until DirectX's total removal from the game.

Well, Vulkan (Yes, it's spelled Vulkan, not Vulcan) would give more stable game, and might add up few frames, but I don't think peppy will add Vulkan just for few more frames.
[ Airym ]

FrzR wrote:

I don't think DX12/Vulcan would make much of a difference for osu! What osu! really needs is a more stable OpenGL release. The occasional lag spikes are still persistent in the latest builds at least on my system.
yeah thats right, i made the upgrade from notebook to desktop, and now i got stuttering in osu! with my system
Upskirt
OpenGL will be used.

DirectX is being dropped because osu!lazer is to run native on the other operating systems.

Vulkan would be a nice alternative but I don't believe it's plausible in the scope of development since it's a whole new API.

Vulkan API Wikipedia

What a necro
-Makishima S-
Since Lazer will be multiplatform, Vulkan is out due its problems on nix systems.
Also too much problematic API for C# app. It is way easier to make a C++ software with vulkan support than C# and keep good performance.