forum

Am I Trying To Advance Too Quickly?

posted
Total Posts
show more
_handholding
In sports training some athletes do 25 mins of normal training then 5 mins of really intense training at the end
Topic Starter
Rosten
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys ^_^

I'll get back to you once I've S ranked all those maps.

Edit: RIP my accuracy
AshbeII

CptBlackBird wrote:

Endaris wrote:

Well. More experienced players like me don't call it "streaming" if you just mash your keyboard at roughly the correct speed. I call that "mashing" instead.
Decent accuracy is an integral part of being able to stream. Doesn't have to be SS but should clearly head towards SS. Or more abstract: A low UR during streams.
UR is short for Unstable Rate and tells you how far your hits were from each in other in relation to the timing.
Meaning that on a fair stream all the hits are very close to each other on the hit error bar(even if they were in the 50 area it would count as streaming).
my sides holy shit
"more experienced players like me"
i can tickle ur sides if u want
Insyni

B1rd wrote:

CptBlackBird wrote:

my sides holy shit
Do you realise the 'more expierience' means relative to the OP? Do you realise that PP does not equal experience?
I second this.

Also, very nice B1rd. I remember when you first started and complained about not progressing, now your rank is amazing. Was your old avi from hellsing?

Also, yes you are trying to advance to quickly. Endaris has very good logic, but may strive a bit too much for accuracy.
Topic Starter
Rosten
I certainly appreciate all the map suggestions, just playing through them and trying to B and A them has significantly improved my streaming ability to the point where I can get over 90% on songs that I'd never thought I could even come close to getting an 85% on by anything barring sheer luck.

That being said, at what point should I try and progress up star ranks? Is it ever okay to just be fine with having a bad acc (85-90%) when moving up to higher star ranks while you get accustomed to the more fast-paced and complex patterns, or should it always just be a smooth curve from difficulty to difficulty?
Endaris
This is up to you. How do you want to play this game? What are you satisfied with?
Personally I would recommend 90-95% as the minimum as that is always a solid B, often A-rank.
Below 90% there is always the implication that you're mashing the keyboard on a regular basis as sliders give you free accuracy.

Aside from that I will just cite thelewa here:
If you have really bad accuracy then just try to really look at the approach circles and really try to get acc that is above 97%, increase this minimum accuracy once you get better at it, capping out at 99%. Going for SS is useless for your general accuracy if you use a billion tries for it, so it's not worth the effort. Eventually something will click into place and accuracy will get easier.
That's what I used to use as an orientation and I think 97% is fair and achieveable with a reasonable amount of effort.
Insyni
Honestly speaking, I used to always play 4-5 star songs and aim for 86-93% accuracy. Now I'm going back and realizing how hard 3.3-3.5 star songs are if you really focus on getting 98-99%.

I may not be gaining pp right now do to this, but I'm learning a lot more.
sayonara_sekai
i played 120-130bpm 3.5-4 star maps for 6 hours straight to improve my finger control and rhythm sense and i improved more than the last 3 weeks playing random 4.5-5* AR9 shit combined.
N0thingSpecial

CptBlackBird wrote:

my sides holy shit
Congratulation you just made yourself look like a complete asshole
Endaris

N0thingSpecial wrote:

CptBlackBird wrote:

my sides holy shit
Congratulation you just made yourself look like a complete asshole
No offense, CptBlackBird and me have a bit of history with each other so I wouldn't mind it too much.
N0thingSpecial

Endaris wrote:

No offense, CptBlackBird and me have a bit of history with each other so I wouldn't mind it too much.
oh if thats the case then nvm
Jellyfish McGub
get 99.99% acc

win
Xyrus_old_1

Rosten wrote:

That being said, at what point should I try and progress up star ranks? Is it ever okay to just be fine with having a bad acc (85-90%) when moving up to higher star ranks while you get accustomed to the more fast-paced and complex patterns, or should it always just be a smooth curve from difficulty to difficulty?
If you're getting less than 95% on most songs at one star level, there isn't much point moving up. You've already found a level that is hard for you to acc. If you have fun going so high you can no longer FC, then feel free.
If you want to improve, find a star level where you can FC most of the maps in 10 tries or less, then move up, if it starts taking you more than 10 tries on most maps, you've found a good level to practice at.

As for the level of accuracy you should be aiming for, you can start off on a lower target, then work your way up to 99+%. I started on 95+% and worked my way up to 99+% on songs I can FC in less than 10 tries, and at least 98% for everything else. Increasing my target has increased the rate at which I'm improving, but I know when to quit if I'm not improving my accuracy or keep failing the same part over and over. I can just come back to those maps later once I've played more.

As for the curve, I've found it's more like a staircase, you get flat stretches where nothing changes, then your ability jumps straight up and you're suddenly getting good results on songs you struggled with before...then back to 0 progress for a while... :(
Yuudachi-kun
I like this guy.
Jellyfish McGub

Khelly wrote:

I like this guy.
i like you too

to suffer is to love, amirite?
Yuudachi-kun

Jellyfish McGub wrote:

Khelly wrote:

I like this guy.
i like you too

Fuck you I'm talking about the Armstrong avatar guy.
Jellyfish McGub
do you think i care who you are talking to?
Yuudachi-kun
Die
Jellyfish McGub
i will still appreciate what you are doing for me when it happens
_handholding

Khelly wrote:

I like this guy.

Jellyfish McGub wrote:

i like you too

Khelly was actually talking about me
Xyrus_old_1

Khelly wrote:

I like this guy.

Jellyfish McGub wrote:

i like you too

Khelly wrote:

He's just suffering because you love me more. So basically, he's in love with me?! :shock:
Caenis
Topic Starter
Rosten

Yuno Nikusu wrote:

hey man you're about to pass me

back 2 pp farming i guess
*SOON*

Totally bookmarking that advice, by the way, @Xyrusd0t0. Often-times when I get frustrated playing maps way above my skill level (Apparently I cannot get enough of failing repeatedly with no signs of progress...) I usually find myself falling back on 3.5-4 star maps to FC, usually finding myself improving a lot faster on these than on anything else, and apparently never noticed this trend before now.
_handholding

Xyrusd0t0 wrote:

He's just suffering because you love me more. So basically, he's in love with me?! :shock:
If this theory is true does that mean OP = tsundere?? o.O
Xyrus_old_1
Good to hear.

Kisses wrote:

Xyrusd0t0 wrote:

If this theory is true does that mean OP = tsundere?? o.O
Confirmed
nrl

Xyrusd0t0 wrote:

If you want to improve, find a star level where you can FC most of the maps in 10 tries or less, then move up, if it starts taking you more than 10 tries on most maps, you've found a good level to practice at.
This is good, but too rigid. The only things you really shouldn't be playing are maps you can't understand, maps you can't follow, and maps you can easily FC.

Understanding means you can intuitively figure out what the map is asking you to do. So order of the circles, their timing, etc. Whether you can read it, basically. Not to say you should be able to read everything you play, but you should never be in a position where you have no idea what's going on.

Following means you can physically keep up with what the map is asking you to do; whether you can reach the circles without flailing, hit the streams without mashing, etc.

Easily FC means in one try, basically, though early on you really shouldn't be FCing much at all. This is more a guideline for when you're further along and start needing to practice your consistency. Maps you can FC in two or three tries are perfect for that, especially if they're long.

@OP: Together, these three more or less equate to what Xyrusd00t said, most of the time. But not always, especially once you have a solid foundation and start playing more complex maps. But you're definitely not there yet. I was pretty far along when the new star ratings were implemented, so I honestly have no idea what sort of maps you should be playing, but 5-6* is absolutely not it. That's the sort of stuff I would play.