forum

Playing tablet with full area

posted
Total Posts
show more
TakuMii
If you use a bigger area, you will have less margin for error because circles will cover more tablet area and will feel bigger. You'll have more consistency with your accuracy with a full area.
There are a few older CS6 beatmaps that I can play with HR (HR is +1, making them CS7) that I can't imagine playing with a higher mouse DPI/tablet area. it's probably possible but you'll have quite a bit more difficulty playing them.
Loves
IMO as long as your area isn't less than half your tablet, it's K.

Big area just means you need to move more but you might get better aim for smaller circles but slower jumps.
Topic Starter
Kalas_old
Ive tried to play with full area for 1 hour or so and it was awful.
Then Ive made my area about 0.5 - 1cm bigger and I also had some troubles there.
I think I will just stay at my very small area now, until I probably have the feeling I would be better with a larger area.
MMzz
Play whatever you feel is comfortable. I worked my way up to full area slowly, increasing my area by small amounts every few days. You can't just jump into it. There are technical ups and downs to each area size, so stick to what you know you can perform well with and you will develop your skills from there regardless.
TakuMii
I feel like it's a waste of effort and money if you use a tablet area smaller than half-size (which would be approx 400-450 dpi). You can get a good mouse for half the price of even the cheapest Wacom tablet, and your accuracy (with the same amount of effort) wouldn't be any different.
buny
^that's not really a reason to use a bigger area, though.

you should always use the most comfortable settings, regardless if you're not using everything you've got.
GoldenWolf

YayMii wrote:

There are a few older CS6 beatmaps that I can play with HR (HR is +1, making them CS7)
no
HR multiplies everything by 1.4
cs6 * 1.4 = cs8.4
cs5 + HR is cs7
TakuMii

GoldenWolf wrote:

YayMii wrote:

There are a few older CS6 beatmaps that I can play with HR (HR is +1, making them CS7)
no
HR multiplies everything by 1.4
cs6 * 1.4 = cs8.4
cs5 + HR is cs7
I stand corrected. I blame the osu!wiki.
Regardless, this information further proves my point. Bigger area=more accuracy, that's no question. Comfort is something different though.
Almost

YayMii wrote:

Regardless, this information further proves my point. Bigger area=more accuracy, that's no question. Comfort is something different though.
Comfort is more important than accuracy- if you are uncomfortable while playing, you are more likely to make mistakes.
winber1
you can literally make the uncomfortable into the comfortable. it really depends on how desperate you are on "getting better"

which by the way is only possible if you practice, not by settings.

I started off with really small area. Most people were like small area sucks; I myself have tried numerous different sizes from around 2x2.5cm to full tablet area. and in the end, you can just look at my userpage for what I ended up with. it's some random medium area setting.

In a sense, I pretty much forced myself to make this "uncomfortable" setting into a comfortable setting. I used to think small area was the most comfortable and I said to hell with what other people think, but I decided to give different areas a try. I've literally tried full tablet area for like a good 4-5 days, and it was utterly horrible. I never got good at it. But this medium tablet area seemed to work pretty well and i got used to it quickly, so i just stuck with it.

YayMii wrote:

I feel like it's a waste of effort and money if you use a tablet area smaller than half-size (which would be approx 400-450 dpi). You can get a good mouse for half the price of even the cheapest Wacom tablet, and your accuracy (with the same amount of effort) wouldn't be any different.
Well many people buy a tablet just for osu!, which is essentially already a waste of a tablet lol like me :(
Kanye West

winber1 wrote:

you can literally make the uncomfortable into the comfortable. it really depends on how desperate you are on "getting better"
iirc this is how lewa learned to use full area, with lots of wrist pain.
buny

YayMii wrote:

I stand corrected. I blame the osu!wiki.
how did that prove anything?

your argument is completely one sided, since you're only viewing it from a full-on full area tablet user perspective.

also you can make the uncomfortable comfortable, it's called adapting
MashiroSymphony
I play with probably one of the most smallest ranges and for me it works.

But like others mentioned full area gives u more control and higher hitchance but if u are not comfortable on it why bother using it.
Iluya
Optimal size to use the Tablet is for me, when i dont have to move my Hand, but only my fingers to position the pen. It really depends on your way you move your pen. I dont like playing with my arm, especially as i move my whole body while playing (sitdancing ftw!) ;)

The big advantage in playing with a tablet (compared to the mouse) is the movement memory you get. You just know where to put the pen (or how to move) to get a specific position on the screen.

So i ended up with something ~1/3-1/2th of my area.
Amelia
My hand shakes too much, so i need a big area to play or else i fail everything.
sCam
I'm doing better at hrock with a smaller area. I started with full, then made it smaller every month or so. Just practice, and get used to what ever area you have. It's all about prefence. also, dworry about accuracy, once you get good, you'll know how to get good accuracy.
[dead]
i use the largest area that i can use comfortably and that is what i recommend because you have to be comfortable and you will have better accuracy
Yuudachi-kun

sinhowell wrote:

i use the largest area that i can use comfortably and that is what i recommend because you have to be comfortable and you will have better accuracy
This doesnt matter after 3 years

Shut up
winber1
i don't think a batch of grapes cares about what you think about it
Yuudachi-kun

winber1 wrote:

i don't think a batch of grapes cares about what you think about it
I don't think I care if he doesn't care
Jellyfish McGub
hitchance? dafuq? play more and your "hitchance" will be 100%
KalaKuha123

Kanye West wrote:

Because full area offers greater control on aim. There's a larger positional margin of error for hitting small circles on a large tablet area. Downside being the wrist pain and being able to jump fast.
I'd say this is complete bs, I can jump fast with full tablet area :)
dung eater

KalaKuha123 wrote:

Kanye West wrote:

Because full area offers greater control on aim. There's a larger positional margin of error for hitting small circles on a large tablet area. Downside being the wrist pain and being able to jump fast.
I'd say this is complete bs, I can jump fast with full tablet area :)
if your area was smaller and you moved your magic pencil as fast as you do now, you would move the cursor faster - jump faster

does this make sense?
Dexus
Having been a person who played full area for years and recommended it, I have switched to using a smaller are and can say its worth sticking to an area that you can reach comfortably using your fingers. Using a bigger area will require you to use your elbow or shoulder in movements, but the distance you have to cover for certain jumps becomes more difficult to reach as you progress. Playing with a small area using just your fingers reduces the amount of errors and greatly raises the "limit" on how fast you can move around. I also found combining wrist and fingers caused more problems than it helped as it would strain me on jumps. Accuracy in tiny cs just takes getting used to be is totally doable with a small tablet area. The speed of a smaller area greatly outweighs the accuracy of a larger area.

also Ive noticed force proprtions on the drivers, for wacom, has lately been calcuating it based on the work area, screen - taskbar. To be on the safe side you should manually calculate your tablet area.