ThoomyyxD wrote:

No Display epilepsy warning?
It's not flashing lights intensive.
Kibbleru
that was fast o/
Raiden
holy shit congrats!!
Monstrata
SB looks so busy xP Parts like 03:50:681 - where you use two different fireball patterns at the same time just look messy imo... Too many things happening on the screen to really appreciate the separate effects. You could try changing the size/reduce sprite density of the vertical-moving fireballs, or something to create a difference.

Also, no epilepsy warning? Strobing heart and the underworld monarchy title parts (00:30:004 - / 06:48:309 - ) look a lot like potential triggers. Flashing light's aren't the only trigger, and there are subsets of that definition too.

Unused hitsounds:

drum-sliderslide4.wav
drum-sliderslide7.wav
normal-sliderslide.wav
normal-sliderslide2.wav
normal-sliderslide7.wav
normal-sliderslide8.wav
soft-sliderslide4.wav

Ranking Criteria wrote:

Storyboard images must be at a reasonable filesize and dimension for their usage. For most uses (e.g. full-screen images), the maximum is 1366x768 pixels. For widescreen storyboards 854x480 is preferred as it matches the internal resolution of the SB editor. For 4:3 aspect ratio images 640x480 is preferred.

The maximum dimensions for tall or wide scrolling images are 640x1440 and 1920x480 respectively. This is for the sake of gameplay performance, image loading time, and filesize.
heart_hr.png has a dimension of 960x960 which is too large for a non-scrolling image. (Well, it's too large for any image).
t_backdrop.png and t_backdrop2.png as well, are too large. (1200 x 1428)
Okoratu
confirming the hitsounding things,

spinner-osu.png is not showing up in any current skin the additional notes say it's an obsolete element in the spinner set and i'm kinda confused because it makes no sense to make an obsolete element mandatory

play-skip.png, play-warningarrow.png are also missing in the playfield set, i think you should add these

the sb image dimensions technically violate the RC, yes.

should have paid more attention to folderstructure before bubbling this, sorry.
Irreversible
Hey Charles,

unranked for the issues above, I've checked them and they are valid. Please fix those up. About the thing with the SB though, I'm not quite sure how to understand it because (with clarification by monstrata), it should be fine to have it that big. So it shouldn't be a problem?

Okoratu wrote:

Okoratu wrote:

I can't hear most of the hitsounds even if i set music volume to 60% and leave hitsounds where they are.
The beginning and some other places feels weird to me due to audio feedback being really really similar to the actual audio
this is a placeholder
is this like a thing^^^

Yes it is a thing, please make your hitsounds more audible - 00:31:020 (4) - notes like this are just not audible, and need to offer proper feedback, please add a more dominant hitsound here, or change the custom completely, this one blends in way too much.

If you have trouble finding the BNs after this DQ, you can call me back as the map and the SB is really well done.
Monstrata
I checked the spinner-osu.png and it showed up on my skin. Generally modding assistant isn't good at checking this, and slider-point10/slider-point30 stuff because you can't actually see them in editor.
Okoratu
i didn't use modding assistant i testplayed the map and the image wasn't showing when spinning, but ok when it's used in skins then it can stay lol (it also wasn't showing after spinning it just said CLEAR)
Monstrata
Oh, it shows after you finish spinning.
Topic Starter
Charles445
Sliderslides take 55 bytes in the package, 4kb in the extracted folder, that's minor to the level of "unused osb"

Image resolution rules are to stop people from putting huge image files in there / huge SB load images / hard to load pictures.
In this situation png storage takes care of filesize, as well as downscale to fix the load.
Image loading time is very short, as well.
The only thing that would change is literally shrinking those images to 50% and then the scale factor multiplied by 2 for some things.
Filesize wouldn't change, SB load wouldn't change... It's a waste of time, really.

Disagree on the hitsounds, most can hear them just fine. I've only gotten feedback on them being quiet from you two, actually.

spinner-osu not showing up to some people sounds like a bug. Not something I can fix, so...
play-skip doesn't mess with the storyboard. The player can have whatever picture they want for it, it's not important.
play-warningarrow doesn't mess with the storyboard, not concerned about it.

---

In short, I think these 'fixes' would be a waste of time.

Ideally, we can go back to approved and not worry about this crap.

If that's really not okay, then I can push an update that will make the osz smaller by 385 bytes (less than a kb), as well as make some pictures 50% smaller but scaled twice as large in the storyboard code, accomplishing effectively nothing. Seriously this map loads super fast, this is not a problem.
Monstrata

If you don't like the rules, voice your opinions more loudly in the ranking criteria council. Complaining about the rules' inefficiency here accomplishes nothing. If we allow you to rank a map with clearly unrankable elements, it's just a bad example to other mappers who think they can forego the ranking criteria because a slider that is 1/2/3/... 500 pixel off screen is still just as playable etc..
jonathanlfj
The hitsound rule is something that just have to be followed, there is not much to say there (clearly I didn't check for that xD)

The storyboard rule on the other hand, does not have to be strictly followed; if you have been here long enough you'd know that many exceptions have been made on storyboard image dimensions to improve the amount of details in them. I stand with Charles on this one

Oh and maybe enabling epilepsy warning in the mean time, better safe than sorry
Topic Starter
Charles445
It did work 4 years ago but that's another story.

Man today is full of fun isn't it?

Anyway since it seems like you've got your mind set, I'll delete the 7 files and reformat the storyboard to make you happy.
Fortunately it won't take a recompile.
I'll post when I'm done.
Hula
So, whilst I appreciate the effort that's gone into hitsounding this, like it's extremely complex and nice, the level of complexity doesn't do anything to enhance the playability. It actually reduces it, keysounding objects means that you get absolutely 0 feedback from hitting it, because your hitsound sample will match that of the sound the object's mapping, so you get no feedback on whether or not you're late or early.

Another thing is, your claps aren't loud enough/obvious enough, they match the music too well. Also, your hitfinish (bass drum) hitsound is really lacking.

01:59:834 (1) - In this section with your drum hitnormals, this is a good use of matching music and still getting feedback, it's less important for your hitnormals to stand out as much though. Though, arguably they're too similar to the actual music.

I haven't tried it, but i think increasing your clap and finish volumes will benefit the hitsounding greatly, cos you're not a composer, you're a mapper in osu! Hitsounding isn't meant to be discreet.

Your hitsounding in the kiai at 02:42:885 (1) - has decent volumes though. The start seems to suffer and the calm parts.

Just my two cents. Impressive hitsounding mind you, but remember playability.
Shiguma
Storyboard works completely fine on my crappy 5 year old laptop, I do not believe it needs to be changed.

However, although I personally don't agree with needing to increase the volume of the hitsounds mentioned, they are quite quiet. I can easily see why one would say they can't hear them. If I put music at 50 and effect at 100 they're easy enough to listen to. I would just increase the volume 1.5x - 2x for the quieter hitsounds if I were you.
Shiguma

Hula wrote:

So, whilst I appreciate the effort that's gone into hitsounding this, like it's extremely complex and nice, the level of complexity doesn't do anything to enhance the playability. It actually reduces it, keysounding objects means that you get absolutely 0 feedback from hitting it, because your hitsound sample will match that of the sound the object's mapping, so you get no feedback on whether or not you're late or early.

Another thing is, your claps aren't loud enough/obvious enough, they match the music too well. Also, your hitfinish (bass drum) hitsound is really lacking.

01:59:834 (1) - In this section with your drum hitnormals, this is a good use of matching music and still getting feedback, it's less important for your hitnormals to stand out as much though. Though, arguably they're too similar to the actual music.

I haven't tried it, but i think increasing your clap and finish volumes will benefit the hitsounding greatly, cos you're not a composer, you're a mapper in osu! Hitsounding isn't meant to be discreet.

Your hitsounding in the kiai at 02:42:885 (1) - has decent volumes though. The start seems to suffer and the calm parts.

Just my two cents. Impressive hitsounding mind you, but remember playability.

I don't really agree with the hitsounds "matching" too much. They volume just needs to be increased, imo.
Topic Starter
Charles445
Map's updated, it should be good to go now.
An epilepsy warning would be a real problem, it' takes forever to go away (dog's already coming by then)
I'm throwing around volume ideas but tbh I really can't see where anyone's coming from with that.

LFJ and I are juggling epilepsy warning ideas.
Topic Starter
Charles445
Added epilepsy warning, looks like poop but could be worse. It shows up when the map is loading which is good, wish it would go away when the map was done loading though.
Whatever, ~limitations~
Secretpipe
Good luck for rerank Charles!
jonathanlfj
Everything that has been mentioned in the original post has been addressed I believe

Except for the hitsound volume thing which Charles argues is a design choice, tbh I can hear it perfectly fine with default volume settings so I'm gonna go ahead and rebubble this

Okoratu
welp i cant asdf
Topic Starter
Charles445

Okoratu wrote:

welp i cant asdf
Wait really?
Huh I thought they got rid of that rule? I mean jonathanlfj was qualifier, right?
It's been too long I have no clue how any of this shit works
Okoratu
i meant
i can't hear hitsounding well LOL
Topic Starter
Charles445
Applied KD to the people helping out since it gets disabled when the map's qualified (I think)
peppy
The hitsounds are fine volume-wise? I think people are saying they can't hit them because they blend in too well. Try adjusting music volume to 0% and listen.
Hula

peppy wrote:

The hitsounds are fine volume-wise? I think people are saying they can't hit them because they blend in too well. Try adjusting music volume to 0% and listen.
cheers mate
Loooctav
Hehe I knew that you had to active the Warning hehehehe HEHEHE, ok thoomyy stap, looveees
Monstrata

peppy wrote:

Are you telling Charles to listen at 0%? Or the people complaining about hitsound volume.

Last edited by Monstrata on 2 minutes ago, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Starter
Charles445

peppy wrote:

Volume wise they're quite loud yes, the blending is an interesting situation as it seems to only affect some.

Ideally for people who are having it blend / can't discern the individual sounds, when they start drifting off beat due to lack of feedback they'll start to hear the sounds again. Then hopefully when they recognize what the hitsounds actually sound like, they can start listening for that in the music.

Not sure if it's asking too much of the player to listen through the blending in these specific cases, but my options are pretty limited, barring redoing the entire map's hitsounds...

I can turn up the volume in these cases, but that will make it too loud for others.
I think it would be fine for people to simply lower their music volume until it is comfortable? Now that changing effect and music volume is so easy thanks to the dials update.
Shiirn
The issue with the hitsounds being soft is actually not due to any bug, but due to how pitch and frequency is interpreted - if everyone can remember the Online Offset map, remember that the sounds become softer when they're perfectly aligned, because... i'm not entirely sure. Something about pitch frequency, but it happens with sounds that are very similar in pitch and volume. By lowering one or the other you're basically forcing one to take over the other. The problem then becomes that the hitsounds are too similar to the samples used in the map itself and thus kind of skimps on audio feedback for the player. But that's an issue I don't care to really think about, it goes into philosophy rather than technical rules - "Are hitsounds required to be different from the music to provide feedback for the player? if so, are keysounded maps fundamentally unrankable, as the player performs the most important instrument in the music?" etc etc etc
Topic Starter
Charles445

Shiirn wrote:

The issue with the hitsounds being soft is actually not due to any bug, but due to how pitch and frequency is interpreted - if everyone can remember the Online Offset map, remember that the sounds become softer when they're perfectly aligned, because... i'm not entirely sure. Something about pitch frequency, but it happens with sounds that are very similar in pitch and volume.
Yeah I think that's a case of one area of the audio spectrum getting capped out super hard, lowering everything else in normalization.
I specifically avoided that in this set (it happened a couple of times in development with one of the clap sounds, hehe)
In the New Astronomas map you can hear the normalization struggling to keep up with how loud the hitsounds are, actually, it's fascinating.

I think the audio levels in this set are fine as a base setting..? I don't think it would be too hard for people experiencing this to turn down the music volume a little bit, like peppy demonstrated.
Zero__wind

jonathanlfj wrote:

well then lets enjoy this while we can
well then lets shoot a star while we can
Loooctav
I'd like to suggest another name for the diff (I know that it doesn't matter but...) because it is not a marathonic song.
I would not call this a Marathon, maybe something like UnDErtAlE or something related to the game, to me Marathon is the paraparaMIX as 35 minutes, or the Renard Marathon that has 18 minutes aprox.

I'd recommend something like it, but if we are rights, the name doesn't matter xD
Topic Starter
Charles445
I think the word Marathon fits the situation the storyboard presents. 'Undertale' wouldn't quite fit the theme, surprisingly... its context is elsewhere. It would also be a little redundant seeing it in three places, hahaha

okay onto the real reason I'm posting

soft-hitnormal9 increased by 0.6 DB.
Verified this with Irreversible, this one will work! (yay)
Before and After
May not seem like much from the picture but it is incredibly noticeable ingame.

drum-hitnormal increased by over 1 DB, and some normalization to stay louder longer.
This one wasn't too difficult to hear but for safety it has been made louder (it's almost clipping now, haha)
Before and After

Redownload to get them, or if you want to save peppy some bandwidth the changed sounds are in this zip.

I believe the map still technically has 1 bubble because this was a really minor change.
Nathan
Topic Starter
Charles445
Thanks.

Let's wait for Irreversible, we gotta make sure it's all working for them.
Irreversible
the hitsounds are back from underworld /O/
OzzyOzrock
hype
show more