forum

Easy Bubble Sniping (standard)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Endaris
This queue is for all the mappers who value the quality of their set through all difficulties.

My impression is that many modders and BNs and QAT don't thoroughly check on Easy-difficulties as they're "boring".
However, due to the strong restrictions forced on you while mapping an easy difficulty any wrong step has also strong negative repercussions on the player that are commonly ignored by better players when playtesting as they can compensate for suboptimal or even bad patterns with their considerably higher skill.
The average new player can't compensate and due to their lack of skill and accuracy some things will just feel entirely wrong and unintuitive.
On top of it, the relation to the music is oftentimes obfuscated by loud hitsounds for experienced players due to their pinpoint accuracy. At the same time new players will often experience hitsounds in their actual feedback function instead of an additional layer of representation because they are not good enough yet.

This queue is relatively simple and your map has to meet 3 requirements for me to take a look at it:

1. It has to be bubbled or qualified
2. It has to be an osu! standard map
3. It can't be an approval mapset - if you're mapping an easy diff for approval you should already know what you are doing

I will then proceed to look at the Easy and maybe also the Normal-difficulty and mod it with the main focus on the following points:
  1. Optimal rhythmic design - this means that the rhythmical configuration of the patterns used is as good as the restrictions from the difficulty allow it
  2. Intuitivity and consistency - this means that a well-fitting pattern will be reused at least once for the same musical pattern
  3. Meaningful variation where possible - this means that a well-fitting pattern will receive variations that are easy to grasp for the player if a pattern would get overused. This is not always possible as in some cases any variation already plays significantly worse than the original pattern.
  4. Hitsounds - I will only look at these when the difficulty is already of high quality as changes to the rhythmic design tend to mess up the base you built your current hitsounding on.
I think these are most important to cater to new players even if a map seems more "boring" to a more experienced player if the difficulty is designed with these points in mind.
Topic Starter
Endaris
bump
SuperMIC
I'm curious as to why you're limiting this to bubbled/qualified maps. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone (or rather, there are very few people) who would willingly pop their own bubble over lower difficulty quality.
Yoges

SuperMIC wrote:

I'm curious as to why you're limiting this to bubbled/qualified maps. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone (or rather, there are very few people) who would willingly pop their own bubble over lower difficulty quality.
I would, It's easier to get something rebubbled then it is to get it qualified again after DQ.
MokouSmoke
How about relaxing the rules a bit so that maps with a BN star also qualify for this mod? I think that would give mappers more incentive to post here since it wouldn't involve any rebubbling.
Topic Starter
Endaris

SuperMIC wrote:

This queue is for all the mappers who value the quality of their set through all difficulties.
???
I'm aware there are not many people who would do this but if I had a bubble on my mapset I would immediately take such an offer. If the diff is already good the modder won't find anything major that leads to a bubblepop, right? If he does the quality improves. Win-win for me.
And in most cases the BN who bubbled your map in the first place will be happy to rebubble it as he was already happy with the previous version.

/edit: Star-Icon is worthless and no indicator for anything. The only thing it tells is that a BN takes an interest in the map. That's not enough to consider such maps.
SuperMIC

Endaris wrote:

SuperMIC wrote:

???
I'm aware there are not many people who would do this but if I had a bubble on my mapset I would immediately take such an offer. If the diff is already good the modder won't find anything major that leads to a bubblepop, right? If he does the quality improves. Win-win for me.
And in most cases the BN who bubbled your map in the first place will be happy to rebubble it as he was already happy with the previous version.

/edit: Star-Icon is worthless and no indicator for anything. The only thing it tells is that a BN takes an interest in the map. That's not enough to consider such maps.
I understand. But my question is still about why you're limiting this to only bubbles and qualified maps; it seems (unintentionally) almost as if you're making the assumption that only bubbled maps value the quality of the set. I, too, would gladly like my easier difficulties to be checked for problems. But I don't have a bubble, and there are many others who don't either who I'm sure could benefit greatly from one of your mods.
Yoges
If you want to nerf the rules then maybe instead of icons set the requirement to like idk 40+ SP.
Topic Starter
Endaris

SuperMIC wrote:

I understand. But my question is still about why you're limiting this to only bubbles and qualified maps; it seems (unintentionally) almost as if you're making the assumption that only bubbled maps value the quality of the set. I, too, would gladly like my easier difficulties to be checked for problems. But I don't have a bubble, and there are many others who don't either who I'm sure could benefit greatly from one of your mods.
The idea for this queue roots in the average quality I've seen in Easy-difficulties of ranked maps when picking the November-Charts around 2 months ago.
And bubbled is the last state of a map where things can still be changed. You are probably very aware of the fact that most people don't give a shit about Easy-Difficulties and especially not if the map doesn't even get ranked. For bubbled maps, the chance of getting ranked at some point is naturally the highest.
I don't have an endless amount of time to spend(I wish I had) so I'm setting some requirements that keep me from dying under a load of requests.
Little
lmao
You're clearly not anywhere close to "dying under a load of requests."
Topic Starter
Endaris
I'm aware but that should be my concern not yours :^)