forum

Absent Legend: Interview with Natteke

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ulysses
Absent Legend: Interview with Natteke

Natteke, unexaggeratedly speaking, is one of the most influential innovators of mapping. Players, mappers, administrators, whosoever, are somehow affected by him as his active participation and contribution to all the respects of this game is of great cruciality to the evolution of osu!. In addition to all the objectivities, he is a convivial, obliging, lovely and loyal friend. However, he has been inactive since few months ago. We all miss him with a wish for his triumphant return. Today, I had the privilege to meet and interview Natteke in London, investigating the reason of his exit and his voice to the community.
<~>

O: nold_1702; N: Natteke

O: What are the reasons why you put osu! aside?
N: I was a student back then, having a lot of spare time. Now, I am working, so I do not have enough time to spend on games!

O: Which of your creations give you most satisfaction and pride?
N: Definitely ‘Ama no Jaku’, it is not entirely my work of course, it has a lot of guest difficulties. The song is really cool and I had the most amount of fun mapping it out of any other maps I made.

O: Who are the most influential mappers to you?
N: It would be a long list for different eras. Let’s see. For 2009-2012, tieff, alace, lesjuh, happy30 for sure. After that, Skystar, fanzhen, NOLD, Patchouli.
O: I am flattered that I influenced you.
N: I used to have a long list of like 30 mappers that influenced me and I borrowed small thing from everyone, yeahyeahyeahhh was my mentor!

O: Who do you think share the most similarities with you in terms of mapping?
N: At the moment? No one really, but used to be Reiji-Rj, La Cataline, EvilElvis, Vass_Bass, Damnae. But they all evolved their own styles now. Oh, also James influenced me a lot.
O: Indeed, James, he has influenced almost everyone.

O: If you were to acquire a chance to travel to the time where you just started mapping, what suggestions would you give to yourself back that time?
N: ‘Start copying other mappers sooner’
O: It sounds interesting!
N: By trying to emulate other mappers, you actually end up coming with your own stuff. It is like genetic evolution, organisms replicate with small differences and it creates diversity in the long run. Same applies to mapping.

O: Then, would you consider your style as solely ‘repetition of others’, or do you think you have a peculiar mapping style which is only belongs to you? Though, your style constitutes unique perfection to many mappers, me, for instance!
N: I cannot really judge my own mapping. It’s best to be left to others, I’d like to think that I added some things to the patterns that I borrowed. In my mapping, I carry a legacy of the mappers that I love.
<~>

We lost an apt innovator, but instead of feeling shame about the fact, we should be happy with him. His revolutionary creations and effort to the community will not cease to exist as his leaving!
Back to real life, his hospitality has made me feel the warmth of England in winter. We went to a pub to ‘buy drunk’, after having dinner we two drunk guys started this interview (yes, the conversation is drunk). We took selfies to end the amazing evening. Whilst taking the train back to my city, he asked me whether I knew the way. Natteke is a really friendly man! We will miss you Natteke!

Here are the selfies:

<~>

List of Natteke's 100fav+ Maps

Black Sun Empire - Dawn Of A Dark Day (Receptor Remix)
07th Expansion - Eiji Kuinbii
Tatsh feat. Tsukiko - Floating Darkness
07th Expansion - lastendconductor
Nico Nico Chorus - Leia
Bon Jovi - It's My Life
Infected Mushroom - Becoming Insane
IOSYS - Homicide Moon
Yuduki - Dear You (Vocal Version)(THIS IS CLASSIC!)
Sum 41 - The Hell Song
Syuiro - Ama no Jaku(NATTEKE'S FAV OUT OF HIS 50 RANKED MAPS)
The Qemists - Dem Na Like Me (feat. Wiley)
Meramipop - Wind Climbing ~Kaze ni Asobarete~
Tujamo & Plastik Funk feat. Sneakbo - Dr. Who! (Smooth Remix)
SUPER STAR -MITSURU- - THANK YOU FOR PLAYING
Noisia - Stigma
Various Artists - osu! Stream Compilation(ANOTHER CLASSIC)
Mind Vortex - Arc
Lon - Nijigen Dream Fever
-Atri-
nold is back?
Faust
" And after that Natteke proceeded to mug the shit out of me and take off with all my money >:C "
There I finished it for you.
Liiraye
^lol

Nice read :) would love to see more maps of you both but it it seems I shouldn't hold my breath
Topic Starter
Ulysses

Faust wrote:

" And after that Natteke proceeded to mug the shit out of me and take off with all my money >:C "
There I finished it for you.
he actually paid my beer haha!!
Leader
I miss you and your maps, Teke ;_;
Lust
This was a great read! Nice that you could have met the legend
Ephemeral
do one for la cataline and I think my brain would explode

cool concept and execution, by the by!
Nathan
cool interview :>
ac8129464363
that was great, thanks :d
Shohei Ohtani
shout-out to the Graveyard Price

or he can be the graveyard queen and I can be the king B)
OnosakiHito
That was actually a nice read.
Myxo
Cool. ^^
OzzyOzrock
let's not forget natteke's very influential taiko diffs like https://osu.ppy.sh/s/16164 8-)
ecdonald
wooow this is very nice! thanks :)
Cyclohexane
Kinda makes me regret not planning anything when I went to London a while back. But this was cool to read.

I enjoy hearing from the folks that have moved on from this game from time to time
Monstrata
Good read!

I didn't know Natteke was Rafi Fine.
Liiraye

Monstrata wrote:

Good read!

I didn't know Natteke was Rafi Fine.

LOL how do you see that m8

worst possible insult you can get
Voxnola
;_;7 Salute Natteke
The colors live on

Ephemeral wrote:

Akiyama Mizuki
natteke <3
Natteke desu
nattuke ♥
Giralda
wow ♥
CSLM
nice <3

Ephemeral wrote:

yeahyeahyeahhh

Ephemeral wrote:

GL with that.

Natteke I'll never forget the good times we had together on this game. Mapping, talking about maps, the community, mapping techniques, sounds, AND EVERYTHING. I'm glad we got to grow together as mappers <3

Our combo colors will forever live on, even if people don't know it!

ILY bro, one day we'll spark something up again :D <3

This would be something cool to do with some other maps that I would enjoy :D
Liiraye

yeahyeahyeahhh wrote:

txt

woah he's alive!
Luvdic
Natteke I love you, please notice me!

Why?? I cant stalk you anymore Whyy???
Konomi_old_1
Will you do more interview like this? It's really cool!
Vuelo Eluko
toasting in epic bread
yeahyeahyeahhh

Nube wrote:

yeahyeahyeahhh wrote:

txt

woah he's alive!
hello