forum

Help with mouse settings?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Zero_078
I've been trying to not play osu! for 4 years but I guess I'm too addicted to stop playing this shit.

Decided to play osu! again after having got a 2nd hand Logitech G502 from my friend. The problem is that I'm confused about the dpi thingies. I know some who use low dpi like 400-800 and some who use 2000 or more. What are the advantages and drawbacks of high or low dpi settings? Anyone can recommend on what setting I should use? I'm currently using 2400 dpi, no enhance pointer precision or whatever it is called, windows setting is 6/11, game resolution is 1920x1080 and osu! sensitivity is fixed at 1.0x as I'm using Windows 8.1. I'm fine with changing settings because I just started playing again after a long time. Btw, I'm using my notebook (paper) as a mousepad, should I buy a proper one? Is a mousepad worth the money?
Yukitemi
1st of, yes you need a mousepad, I can't imagine how to play osu on just paper. Dpi thing goes for speed-accuracy. More dpi > more speed > less accuracy. So if you can hadle high dpi then try it. Also there is a "mouse drift" where your mouse drift away from your pad. High sencitivity and large mousepad can help with that.
FieryLight
Lower DPI is recommended since you just have to move physically faster instead of physically more accurately (which is more difficult). 400-800 DPI are good choices. Since you use Win8.1, you should use letter box mode or full screen to get less input lag. I don't use a proper mousepad but I do advise it and I should probably get one soon.
Topic Starter
Zero_078
@Chelsea: when I need a new mousepad, I rip 1 page off my notebook, tape it to the desk and tah dah XD maybe I should afford one

@FieryLight: is 400dpi too low for fullscreen 1080? I tried 400dpi and had to move my whole arm instead of keeping my wrist still and moving just my hand
LoGo
400dpi is probably way too low for 1080p , around 1k should be enough for similar result as lower resolution with 400dpi, i'm using 1024x768 and 400 dpi, probably could play 1440x1050 but that would cause too much mouse drifting which i already experience on 1024x768... D:
And yes, you need a mousepad, i would suggest thicker ones, i tried one relatively thin and understood that under higher pressure it just bends? and makes weird cursor movement...
shiyuri
<deleted>
shortpotato
yes
Topic Starter
Zero_078
thanks for the reply guys. maybe I'll stick with 1000 and keep training :3
KanoSet

Zero_078 wrote:

gl.. and yes.. a black mousepad would be much helpful
p.s: i hate your profile pic.. way u do zis
Topic Starter
Zero_078

KanoSet wrote:

Zero_078 wrote:

gl.. and yes.. a black mousepad would be much helpful
p.s: i hate your profile pic.. way u do zis
Tutturu~~~
the mouse drift is hard to get used to. do you guys move your arm or just your hand when you play?
KanoSet
hand/rest for me
and mouse drift is hard to get used to but you'll soon or later.. in your own way
chainpullz

Zero_078 wrote:

Tutturu~~~
the mouse drift is hard to get used to. do you guys move your arm or just your hand when you play?
That mouse drift the only thing keeping you from a dank 250pp koigokoro fc? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
KanoSet

chainpullz wrote:

That mouse drift the only thing keeping you from a dank 250pp koigokoro fc? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
mfw when i almost fc'ed it but 90% acc.. :lol:
Sayorie
Your settings are fine. Just find your own preferred dpi.
Update your mouse drivers/software, to make sure you're playing at 1000hz polling rate.
Also, a lower dpi means that you really have to buy a big-ass mouse pad.
Also, I hope you don't use the additional weights, because G502 is the heaviest mouse I have ever held even without those.
Topic Starter
Zero_078

Arthraxium wrote:

Your settings are fine. Just find your own preferred dpi.
Update your mouse drivers/software, to make sure you're playing at 1000hz polling rate.
Also, a lower dpi means that you really have to buy a big-ass mouse pad.
Also, I hope you don't use the additional weights, because G502 is the heaviest mouse I have ever held even without those.
2nd hand mouse so nope, no additional weights. And I think an A4 sheet is big enough XD Maybe I'll consider a SS QcK+
efuru
Make sure that pointer precision is unchecked... when I found out I wasted a week on this game playing with pointer precision on I just switched to tablet
Wuxo
1. 800dpi
2. 2.5x sensitivity
My settings ^^
ZenithPhantasm
500 dpi 1.0x
Endie-

chainpullz wrote:

Nah. Koigokoro 2 ez with mouse
ObamaChan
I play with 2950 dpi and windows 7/10 lmao
meedow shom
1st dpi:try and try and try try the dpi that fits you and your mouse physical properties. since logitech g502 is really heavy without weights, and i recommend higher dpi for that (but you can just always find the one that fits YOU :) oh and don't forget to set in-game sensitivity to 1x and just play with the dpi settings. you can always switch profiles on the g502. and use raw input in osu (unless you already disabled the acceleration setting in the logitech gaming software)
2nd mouse pad:of course buy a good mouse pad that is not cheap nor extremely expensive..just don't do the mistake that i've done. which is buying a colourful mousepad..it really irritates the life out of my acc.

that profile picture is just weird as fuck though