forum

thnikk's Osu! Keypads [Development]

posted
Total Posts
show more
Otonashi
Hi Thnikk! I've sent you a message on Etsy, also I am wondering if you plan to restock the Led Keypads (r2)?
Topic Starter
Thnikk

iShinoa wrote:

Hi Thnikk! I've sent you a message on Etsy, also I am wondering if you plan to restock the Led Keypads (r2)?
I was shooting for the end of the week, but I may have to push it back to Monday. You can follow/favorite my shop to get notified of updates or you can follow me on twitter where I sometimes remember to post.
SmallerMoonstar
I have a question, are you able to switch the switches on the keyboard without using a soldering iron? Like the osu! nono keyboard. Thanks in advance!
The Gambler

SmallerMoonstar wrote:

I have a question, are you able to switch the switches on the keyboard without using a soldering iron? Like the osu! nono keyboard. Thanks in advance!
Pretty sure the nono is soldered on the PCB. I'm also assuming Thnikk's keypads are handwired, not using a PCB.
KanoSet

The Gambler wrote:

Pretty sure the nono is soldered on the PCB. I'm also assuming Thnikk's keypads are handwired, not using a PCB.
The Gambler

KanoSet wrote:

-snip-
Only shows the switch covers being swapped, not actual SIP sockets. There was a Massdrop keyboard that had socketed MX switches but it was long ago since that drop ended.
SmallerMoonstar

The Gambler wrote:

KanoSet wrote:

-snip-
Only shows the switch covers being swapped, not actual SIP sockets. There was a Massdrop keyboard that had socketed MX switches but it was long ago since that drop ended.
Yeah, not very good with keyboard terminology, so I kinda don't know this stuff :P But I meant if the keyboard could do something similar to the demonstration in the video
The Gambler

SmallerMoonstar wrote:

Yeah, not very good with keyboard terminology, so I kinda don't know this stuff :P But I meant if the keyboard could do something similar to the demonstration in the video
*Deep breath*

If you're a regular on this forum, you might be able to know what we are talking about. In any case, give this site a look.
SmallerMoonstar

The Gambler wrote:

SmallerMoonstar wrote:

*Deep breath*

If you're a regular on this forum, you might be able to know what we are talking about. In any case, give this site a look.
So from my understanding, and what you said, I can effectively "swap out" the switches by taking out the springs and such on the nono keyboard but not the entire switch itself? Also, does this mean that Thnikk's keyboard allows for the swapping of entire switches? If that's what happens when a keyboard is handwired. I was planning to get either the hnikk's keyboard and switch out the switches for Cherry MX Browns since he doesn't have it as an option.
ZenithPhantasm
It doesnt really matter if you swap it by popping the covers or SIP given every MX clone has the same exact housing other than color and material.
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Update 1/18/16

GUH, LOTS OF ORDERS. TRYING TO MAKE NEW RGB KEYPAD. NEW ANIME SEASON. DYING.

Keypads will be back up on Wednesday.

Switches can't be fully removed without soldering and you currently would have to remove the hotglue (very easy with rubbing alcohol) to open the switches, but I'm working on a way around this to make the same solution used on the nono keyboard available on my keypads. Expect to see it when the r3 RGB(W) keypad comes out ;)
ZenithPhantasm
Or better yet. You could 3D print custom housing that are easily removable without the need of special tools.
XDD_old_1
I want to get one of these, however, I want to know what everyone thinks about 125hz polling rate. That's an 8 millisecond delay. Is that a significant delay if I'm aiming to get to a really high rank?

I can't really afford any of the 1000hz ones (LED, RGB models). They cost 70 dollars including shipping as I'm from Australia and that's just a bit too much for two buttons.
KanoSet

XDD wrote:

I want to get one of these, however, I want to know what everyone thinks about 125hz polling rate. That's an 8 millisecond delay. Is that a significant delay if I'm aiming to get to a really high rank?

I can't really afford any of the 1000hz ones (LED, RGB models). They cost 70 dollars including shipping as I'm from Australia and that's just a bit too much for two buttons.
add few bucks and get a full mech keyboard from a local store.. it's a way better option
cooler master storm is the way to go
XDD_old_1
Does anyone here happen to know the polling rate of the official osu! nono keyboard?
KanoSet

XDD wrote:

Does anyone here happen to know the polling rate of the official osu! nono keyboard?
nope, sadly
totekingsg1
Got mine at home like 30min ago, and I'm already playing with it.

People complains about the polling rate. Do I actually feel any kind of lag? No, I don't. It feels exactly as my mech kb, except that my kb has blue switches, which are noisy as fuck. It is pretty comfortable since it is 10 times smaller than a kb, so I can place my hand much better.

I could chose between different switches, and decided to go for the Cherry MX red. It comes with 2 o-rings included on every key, which make the keys pretty silent.

U don't need to configure anything, u just plug in the keypad into the usb and it works properly. The default binded keys seem to be Z and X, and ESC on the red button on the left side.

I'll be playing with it from now on, need to get used to it.
The Gambler
Since thnikk's keypads have Teensy LC in them for the logic boards, can't you just use the Serial.begin function? I swear 9600 baud is freakishly fast for scanning button states, only hampered by the limitations of HID-USB which is 1000 Hz.
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Update 1/27/16
Thanks to everyone for all of the reviews recently! It makes me very happy to wake up to a new review and I've gotten a lot of them over the past few days :)

Everything is back in stock as of this post except for some of the keypop keycaps. I'm probably going to make an order within the next few days so expect to see those within the next week or so.

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Or better yet. You could 3D print custom housing that are easily removable without the need of special tools.
Shhhhhh, you're letting my secret plans out.

The Gambler wrote:

Since thnikk's keypads have Teensy LC in them for the logic boards, can't you just use the Serial.begin function? I swear 9600 baud is freakishly fast for scanning button states, only hampered by the limitations of HID-USB which is 1000 Hz.
I actually haven't used Teensy LCs for a while. My basic and basic+ models use Adafruit Trinkets (125hz because of USB 1.1) and by LED and RGB models use Pro Micros.
Toshiyuki Doma
I wish you make like that for osu!mania mode. :3
Emub
I got a new computer, and the keypad isn't working with it at all..
The buttons LEDs work perfectly in all modes, but there's no input when I press the buttons..
Topic Starter
Thnikk

arvinkent098 wrote:

I wish you make like that for osu!mania mode. :3
IT WILL HAPPEN... eventually. 4k/Taiko keypad first, but still probably not for a couple of months.

Emub wrote:

I got a new computer, and the keypad isn't working with it at all..
The buttons LEDs work perfectly in all modes, but there's no input when I press the buttons..
This should be fixed by reprogramming the keypad. PMed :P
JakeMood
this is so cool man! ordered one LED keypad. i hope it arrives soon. also im in germany so how long do you think shipping needs?
Topic Starter
Thnikk

xOFlauschiOx wrote:

this is so cool man! ordered one LED keypad. i hope it arrives soon. also im in germany so how long do you think shipping needs?
Thanks! Most international shipping takes 1-3 weeks.
JakeMood

Thnikk wrote:

xOFlauschiOx wrote:

Thanks! Most international shipping takes 1-3 weeks.
Yeah. i ordered it january 24 or 25 cant remember :/ my friends dad ordered it for me because my mother is in turkey :P
[Sean]
Just grabbed one myself. Going to compare it to the osu!store version and see which one feels most at home to me ;)
XDD_old_1
Just got mine today. LED R2 with Gateron Clear Switches.

Shipping took around 3 weeks and cost a hefty 22 dollars. But I gotta say, it's pretty damn awesome. The switches are a significant improvement from my Razer Greens.

Although it did take several minutes to get used to, I found that my accuracy has improved and that I can now play higher BPM beatmaps than before. I've even gained 2k ranks just today.

The scotch sticks very well and the case is quite sturdy. All-in-all, the shipping could be a little bit cheaper, but other than that, it's a pretty well-built and quality product.

Thumbs up to thnikk for this keypad. :D
JakeMood
why is mine still not here ;-; im getting really impatient D: i wanna try it so bad
Keetoxx
Unfortunately you cant pay with Bancontact/Maestro... im very sad.
i0nTempest
LED and RGB version sold out? When will they available again?
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Update 2/25/2016

Sorry for the lack of posts! I've been doing a lot of programming and messing around with some IoT stuff. I haven't been skimping on keypads though, I've rewritten the code for the LED and RGB keypads.

The LED model now supports brightness adjustment! This is compatible with the r2 model, so if you have one and would like the update you can upload the new code.

The RGB model now uses RGBW LEDs. This doesn't make a huge difference. At all. It looks exactly the same but the code works a little differently (in a way that I greatly prefer.) I'm not settled on whether this will be the RGB r3, RGBW, or just simplifying the naming of all of the keypads. These revisions are just meant to differentiate between hardware changes so I'd like to keep it as simple for people as possible.

Keetoxx wrote:

Unfortunately you cant pay with Bancontact/Maestro... im very sad.
Sorry, all payment stuff is handled by Etsy. They do support a decent range (you can view here,) but unfortunately they can't take everything.

i0nNepgear wrote:

LED and RGB version sold out? When will they available again?
Parts are on their way and they should be back up between next Monday and Wednesday.
Cataclysm
I got my keypad within 3-4 days so I don't know how it took you 3 weeks

XDD wrote:

Shipping took around 3 weeks
Elektrey

Symacon wrote:

I got my keypad within 3-4 days so I don't know how it took you 3 weeks

XDD wrote:

Shipping took around 3 weeks
that user is in Britain so that probably has something to do with it.
The Gambler
More competition for you I guess? http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-falcon-8 ... mbled.html
It's sold as a prebuilt, a kit or separate parts altogether.

For $44 this is a really compelling value:

It's even advertised for osu!

Good luck catching up. I though the TechKeys one was legit but this seems even better.

EDIT: I'm guessing this is an Atmel ATMega328 chip installed with V-USB emulation. If this were an ARM chip w/ a dedicated USB-to-serial hardware (much like a Teensy), then this is a REALLY compelling value for money.
Topic Starter
Thnikk
It's definitely more compelling than the techkeys 3 key, but $44 is pretty high. The value is still similar to a mechanical numpad (with the added benefits of LED backlighting with effects and being able to remap keys.) I'm still comfortable with where my keypads are. My basic and basic+ models give people a more affordable option and my LED and RGB are for more flair without being too expensive. Having said that, I do still have some plans for improvement (maybe for the basic and basic+???)

mini update 3/16/16

I'm working on a lot of side projects. Since Project Diva X comes out next week, I resumed work on that from almost a year ago now. I don't know where I plan on going with it, but I'll have a little snippet about it in a future update. Otherwise I've been having a lot of fun playing around with IoT stuff. I have been posting to twitter more frequently so if you want to see what I'm up to you can follow me there (link)

I am happy to have one of my beginning of the year goals completed, but I definitely want to blow through a lot more... after April 15th. If I live past that, everything will be great.
Eidorian
Good help to community ^^
Seynior
Do they work with macbook ? OS system?
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Syaoran wrote:

Do they work with macbook ? OS system?
Yes! They are compatible with any modern OS without any driver installation required.

I say modern because I'd otherwise expect someone to ask if it works on a C64 or something.
The Gambler

Thnikk wrote:

I say modern because I'd otherwise expect someone to ask if it works on a C64 or something.
Pretty sure Commodores don't have USB ports, and I have yet to see an RS232 to micro-USB converter.
SayStrikes
Hello im interested in one of your keyboards, tell me how can i buy you one without a credit card. Such as Rapid Pago, Pago fácil, etc. So you print the bill, go pay it and get the product.
Salutes!
show more