[Taiko] Wii Tatacon to USB Converter

posted
Total Posts
show more
Corin
Damn your soldering is really neat :D
Nice job!
BBB
Hey there yo, just a little bump to let you know there's still interest in this project ;)
Espionage724
I'd be interested in this as well; just have to go pick-up another Tatacon (regrettably sold the Wii and PS2 ones I had).

A quick idea on the latency; can the converter do 1000Hz polling rate? Not sure what the device itself has to have as a requirement, but you can force polling rates on most USB devices with a custom driver/service in Windows, and possibly a program in Linux.

On a slightly different matter; how would this adapter compare to wusbmote?
danny9011osu
How is it now?
tobuei

Espionage724 wrote:

On a slightly different matter; how would this adapter compare to wusbmote?
I tried wusbmote with my Hori tatacon and it doesn't seem to work, the wusbmote is recognized as a game pad which osu! doesn't have support for in taiko mode unfortunately and also when i got to configure the wusbmote controller from the devices panel i get no button inputs from the drum. but i do get button responses from the nunchuck buttons and stick. I haven't played around with the config tool yet though so ill see how that goes

*Edit
The config tool is actually a command line tool for configuring the adaptor and has only been tested in linux but apparently works in windows and OSX as well, i have only done basic arduino stuff before so this stuff is over my head and i couldn't be arsed trying to figure it out at this point and wouldn't really know where to even begin (probably at reading the full product description before i buy things).

to the OP I should also mention i am still interested in the converter just exploring different options in the meantime
Topic Starter
montymintypie
GRUMBLE GRUMBLE this is the second time the forum has neglected to email me replies >:( I thought others had lost interest, and kinda forgot to check manually :(

I think the 20ms lag is in the controller itself and the way hits are registered - they seem to be capacitive switches, which are never really instant. I'm not happy with 20ms lag, so I'm somewhat stalled at the moment. I would love to be proved wrong.

As such, I've put my progress thus far on GitHub, (hopefully) ready for others to take a crack at. If you have an Arduino, you can buy a $2 nunchuck adapter from eBay (search "Arduino nunchuck") and play around - the important stuff is reading the status of the switches via i2c.

Sorry for disappearing for 2 months, I gave up and forgot people still wanted updates :(

If you want to take this further and are having issues, please PM me, I will be happy to assist where I can.
Topic Starter
montymintypie
Happy new year, taiko players!

Over the past few months, with some excellent help from tobuei and Sand (seriously, thanks guys) I have made a new version.

Features
  1. 1ms response time. Delay is completely imperceptible
  2. Sweet LEDs (can be turned off)
  3. Responds so fast you can bounce your sticks and get multi hits. Can be turned off with Debounce feature.
  4. Tested working on official, Hori and knockoff controllers
  5. Windows, Linux, Mac compatible + cross platform Chrome app for configuration
  6. Config app allows future firmware updates to add more features
  7. No drivers required!
  8. Open source
Updated price estimate is $20USD shipped anywhere.

I have made an order for 20 boards to start with, and they will arrive about a month from now.

I won't get payment from anyone until they arrive, but they're coming!

abrian
Thanks for your effort you have put in this project!
Can't wait to see it actually comes out
Bauxe
Woah I thought this died. Will 100% be purchasing one!
R2Zero
I'd definitely start taiko mode if I had one of these. Im totally interested in buying one!
buraitopengin
Hello there, I'll definitively buy it once you release it ;)
OnosakiHito
Why this isn't in the Taiko subforum? I would have never seen it if I didn't check the Development forum because of boredom. lol
For users like me, this is very interesting. I'm having a tatacon, but I rarely play it due to way too huge input lags. I can expect this to work even my outdate tatacon, right? As in, this works for the old and new versions of TNT's tatacons?
Topic Starter
montymintypie

OnosakiHito wrote:

Why this isn't in the Taiko subforum? I would have never seen it if I didn't check the Development forum because of boredom.
It made sense for it to be in development initially, but now it's ready I should post there! Should I move the thread or just post a link to it in the taiko forum?

OnosakiHito wrote:

I can expect this to work even my outdate tatacon, right? As in, this works for the old and new versions of TNT's tatacons?
If Taiko no Tatsujin can see it, it should work with my converter! :D
Bauxe
Might be best to have a post linking here in the Taiko forum. The correct section is here however it would be of interest to many taiko players.
Catgirl
I don't have a Tatacon but seeing that this is a thing, assuming it works as well as you described I'd love to try using one!

When will orders be open? :^)
Topic Starter
montymintypie

Catgirl wrote:

When will orders be open? :^)
As soon as I receive working boards! China is the only way to make it affordable, but they're not fast ;)
GabCM
I will absolutely buy one as soon as you open some orders! Can't wait!
xtrem3x

Luna wrote:

Is this really lagless?
If so, take all my money
Topic Starter
montymintypie
Bad news everyone - my supplier is having some unexpected delays sourcing some parts for the boards. Updated estimate is now late February.

If I'm lucky and they manage to send the boards before Chinese New Year, I will get them mid February. Will keep you updated as this progresses.
buraitopengin
no problem pal, as long as you keep us informed, it's all good ;)
Muf mi Taemin
Great, now I need to buy Tatacon :lol:
Dia_Haze
Thanks so much for all of your effort!!!
hiandbye
How long will you sell these? Should I buy one now because it will be my only chance? Cause I won't be able to afford a Tatacon for quite a while.
Topic Starter
montymintypie

hiandbye wrote:

How long will you sell these? Should I buy one now because it will be my only chance? Cause I won't be able to afford a Tatacon for quite a while.
I will sell these for as long as possible! If I disappear/get abducted by aliens/die, anyone with enough funds can make batches themselves from the files on GitHub :)

There will be supply delays early on as I work out what the demand is like, but these should be alleviated by the second or third batch :)
Korrui
hey its me again i was just wondering if you got them in again. its been a while since i have talked to you so i just wanted to check up on their status
Topic Starter
montymintypie

AnimeGod2205 wrote:

hey its me again i was just wondering if you got them in again. its been a while since i have talked to you so i just wanted to check up on their status
Still waiting on them to ship. Chinese New Year slowed things down somewhat, combined with the extended delay in sourcing parts.
Korrui

montymintypie wrote:

AnimeGod2205 wrote:

Still waiting on them to ship. Chinese New Year slowed things down somewhat, combined with the extended delay in sourcing parts.
Dang, they havent even shipped yet? so many delays
furntree
Ahh this is the converter of my dreams. 100% Confirmed for one once they get in! :D :D
Topic Starter
montymintypie
Great news! They've finally shipped to me! Expect them to be here in 2 weeks :)
Korrui
Yussssssssss finally
Korrui
Cant wait for them
Topic Starter
montymintypie
Still waiting for the parcel, but while I wait, I got hard numbers on latency.

Using my scope, I had 1 probe connected to a piezo mic, and another to the LED of the converter. This LED updates at 1KHz, the same rate as the USB update rate.

I then smacked the drum 50 times, and recorded the delay between the moment the piezo started to respond, and when the converter registered a hit. An example measurement:

After 50 hits, here are the results:
Average: 1.802ms
Median: 1.77ms
Std Deviation: 0.44454517
Min: 1.1ms
Max: 2.78ms

Rounding the max value up, I can confidently say that there is an absolute worst case 3ms lag. And average lag of 1.8ms. This is imperceptible. Lagfree = confirmed!
Korrui
Sounds good.
Topic Starter
montymintypie
I've been prototyping a case.

This is an early prototype so the case doesn't fit properly and looks bad, but would there be interest? It would be 3-5 USD delivered, or cheaper if bundled with the converter. The source is also open so if you own a 3D printer you can make it yourself.

Pictures inside the spoilerbox...
Bauxe
I'd like a case when I buy one yeah, would be nice.
Korrui
I'm happy that I was able to help you and give you the thought of doing cases for them. Given any thought to making them in different colors?
Topic Starter
montymintypie

AnimeGod2205 wrote:

Given any thought to making them in different colors?
Any colour, so long as it's black...

I'll see if I can do colour choice. No confirmation yet.
Korrui

montymintypie wrote:

AnimeGod2205 wrote:

Given any thought to making them in different colors?
Any colour, so long as it's black...

I'll see if I can do colour choice. No confirmation yet.
Haha ok
Obama Taichou
Can't wait till I can get my hands on this. Got a taiko game for Wii for Christmas two years back and couldn't play it since the game is region locked.
Korrui

Obama Taichou wrote:

Can't wait till I can get my hands on this. Got a taiko game for Wii for Christmas two years back and couldn't play it since the game is region locked.

Lol I hate region locked stuff.
show more