forum

Mirror Mod/Mode

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +11
Topic Starter
Hado_Kuro
So, i saw this video and thought it would make a pretty awesome mod, or, if it gets enough popularity, even game mode.
Basically, the mod/mode would add a second cursor (which would mirror the player's primary cursor), and mirror every note in the map (on top of having the original notes) and function pretty much as the video shows, but the user can hit either the original notes or the equivalent new, mirrored notes (still need same note order, just doesnt matter which version of each note). This would not give players any extra score advantage (other than a possible score multiplier) as the second, mirror cursor would hit the mirror/original equivalent of your notes and would also allow for some interesting plays, and every players could have their own, more comfortable pattern progression.
Now, I have a few ideas for/ways to go about this.

1. Do it nice and simply, as an unranked mod, simply for enjoyment of players to make some nice/impressive replays.

2. Still a mod, but have the score multiplier either 1.00x, just slightly above, or maybe between HR/HD and DT. The multiplier depends on how difficult playing the mod is deemed to be after a possible test period.

3. Same as either number 1. or 2. but have an extra toggle as to the note mirror angle (By default either the same as HR, or vertical, as wanted in this thread)

4. Do it as its own seperate mode, similar to standard, but mappers for this mode can set the angle of reflection if they wish, otherwise defaulting to the same as 3.. This advantage of this option is that players using this mode can actually have their own rankings, and the standard rankings are not affected by the implementation of this.

5. Any of the above options but edited so that you must alternate between mirrored and original notes. This would make streams MUCH harder, to effectively counterbalance the ease of jumps. This option could be added as a second click for the mod (similar to SD/PF), or a mod for the mode. If mappers were to map specifically for the alternating, jumps would not neccesarily be easier.

There is also the possibility of having the mod so you can only click the original circles, restoring the difficulty of death jumps, and the mirror ones are there to make reading harder. This could be either the default state of the mod, or a larger score multiplier stage of the mod (like DT/NC, but the second stage is worth more).

Of course, with any of these options, a new mirror cursor will need to be added to the skinning options and would preferably need to be a different colour to the main cursor (in default at least)

Thank you for taking the time to read my request, any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated. :)

[edit] added a couple of explanatory brackets
[edit] added these edit notes
[edit] added option 5
[edit] title
[edit] high score mod stage
Sea_Food
So the mod would make it more confusing to read, but functionally easier as player would have choice of what hitnotes to click. On death jumps this would obviously make it much easier to play. This sounds pretty weird man.
Pawsu
There's a few requests like this
- t/185794/ has the most stars, might not be what you were thinking
- p/47322 Lots of discussion, but is randomly untagged and in completed requests?
Topic Starter
Hado_Kuro

Pawsu wrote:

- t/185794/ has the most stars, might not be what you were thinking
Linked this thread in point 3. It's different to what I was thinking, but was an option for note flip customisability.

Pawsu wrote:

- p/47322 Lots of discussion, but is randomly untagged and in completed requests?
I didn't intend to flip the cursor control direction, but I guess this could be a possible feature, though maybe better for a different request.

Sea_Food wrote:

So the mod would make it more confusing to read, but functionally easier as player would have choice of what hitnotes to click. On death jumps this would obviously make it much easier to play. This sounds pretty weird man.
I suppose jumps would be easier, that's why I had the suggestion for unranked play, but part of this mod's job is to look awesome. And, knowing mappers, they'd probably come up with structures of similar difficulty to certain mods, maybe using the reading difficulty to more advantage than jump distance. Or possibly even come up with a way to map specifically for the mod/mode to make jumps not so easy. Notes must also still be hit in number order, so corner death jumps would not necessarily be much easer.
Bara-
>Airman
>That full jump part now means slowly goes down
no
Topic Starter
Hado_Kuro

Baraatje123 wrote:

>Airman
>That full jump part now means slowly goes down
no
This is why I was not decided on score multiplier, ranked or unranked mode, or whether it should be a mode rather than a mod (with a heavier pp weighting towards stream maps than jump maps)
Endaris
It cannot be a mode when it is entirely based on osu!standard-difficulties. Gameplaywise it has nothing to offer.
The only extra-difficulty is that you have to find the easiest way through the map and think around a symmetrical axis but it adds 0 depth and has nothing that sets it apart from standard-mode in terms of reflecting the music in a nice and enjoyable way and giving the player the opportunity to feel the music in its own unique way.
Topic Starter
Hado_Kuro
Hmmmmm. You have a point. What about getting rid of the easier versions, and having it solely as a mod where you must alternate between to the two (mirror and original) every note or combo? I feel in that case it would need quite a high multiplier to counterbalance the fact that streams are near impossible. Obviously the pp from a play with this mod would be weighted toward more stream-y maps, rather than jumpy ones, so playing things such as airman with it would make the map easier, but not get you nearly as much pp as if you were to play without it as a result of this.

The version where you could hit any note from either mirror or original was to allow each player to play a beatmap the way they felt most comfortable. If this were to be implemented I guess it could even have a lower multiplier than 1.00x as it would make the map much easier, as other have stated.

Do you have any suggestions as to how to add depth? I do feel if this were a thing we could get some very impressive and aesthetically pleasing runs.
Endaris
I don't think it is possible to add depth to this. When there are multiple ways to play the map something will inevitably lost.
If you leave it up to the player's choice then you might as well map nothing at all and just make a storyboard that writes "tap to the beat and wave your cursor in the way that reflects the song for you".
The kind of variety it adds rather leads to the player developing a strategy to find the best way through the map which is not rhythmrelated. Just like EZ in some way just that EZ at least has the component of encouraging tapping entirely by ear cause there's absolutely no time to watch approachcircles.
As a mod I don't see any future for it(it wouldve been unranked and peppy doesnt want unranked mods) and as a mode you'd have to take the idea so far from the original that i wouldn't have anything to do with the original idea anymore just due to how being based on standard ruins any kind of individual concept a new mode would need.

The only thing I could imagine would be something like a mirrorbased Hidden: The hitcircles and approachcircles for the notes that have to be clicked won't be shown, just a mirrored copy. That would mainly pose some kind of reading challenge but I can't imagine it being great and it's also too similar to Hidden-Mod.
Topic Starter
Hado_Kuro
I see your points. Making the mirrored notes hidden would have almost no effect on the difficulty of the map, as the premise of this mod was to have two cursors, a mirrored and an original, so all the player would have to do is get used to reading the mirrored noted with a mirrored cursor and the gameplay would be indetical to standard. I'll probably just scrap the idea here, and take your points into account next time I try to think of a new game mode or mod, hopefully then it will have enough depth to be even the slightest of possibilities.