forum

Winter 2016 Anime First Impressions

posted
Total Posts
show more
Kyonko Hizara
Norn9: Norn+Nonet: None of the characters are likable and the pink haired bitch already makes me wish death upon here lol. There was very little development in this episode.

Boku Dake ga Inai Machi: This has the potential to become super interesting, and it already is showing to be. I think that the concept of it is very unique, but that's probably just tired me talking right now, I doubt anyone else thinks the same. I get hit with the feels and then the end of it, just oh man.
xxdeathx
Girls beyond the Youth - I wonder if it's gonna be like Saekano which was great..too early to tell

Boku dake ga Inai Machi - Interesting, but they kept a lot of things in the dark.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Active Raid: Kidou Kyoushuushitsu Dai Hakkei: For something with decent looking animation and decently detailed backgrounds, this had some awful execution of action scenes, semi confusing setting setup, and an annoying mc.
EneT
Only series I'm looking towards is Prince of Stride, but I haven't watched it or watched any other anime yet so we'll see. Other than that I'm only looking forward to the upcoming movies this Spring: Code Geass, Persona and Kizumono.
Justykanna
Will submit a form when all of the anime I planned to watch have aired an episode. I just like doing it all at once.

Divine Gate: Great, another anime with students with magical powers at a school. The last two I have watched have completely disappointed to me after so much potential (Mahouka and Magical Warfare) and this one starts out the same way: potential. We'll see if I can last this one through - though any falter and I'm dropping it. Only thing that really bugs me so far is that the characters look like they have a completely different art style than that of the backgrounds and it looks really funky.
Kyonko Hizara
Divine Gate: It starts out pretty generic and none of the characters seem too interesting as of now. The characters are copy paste personalities, but hey that's so common in anime now anyways. I wasn't extremely disappointed in this so I think I will try for at least another 2 episodes before I decide if I will drop it. The art isn't terrible either, but some of the scenes don't feel connected together.
DakeDekaane
blissy, isn't this Winter season?

Myriad Colors Phantom World: Boing. I don't know what's up with these super adolescents anime nowadays, characters and animation look appealing (black girl best looking one) and so, but personality-wise they feel somewhat dull. May drop it anytime.

Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu Fine. I don't care about the Saekano feeling this gives me, but it looks like it will be more endurable to watch and less prone to drop after first episode. Male MC looks somehow awkward (not because it's not the typical male MC we see nowadays, the style just looks odd). Also, all those references lmao.

Prince of Stride: Alternative As a Madhouse production, I gave this a shot, and didn't disappoint me (animation wise) and will keep watching just because that, characters and plot feel okayish (OxT OP yay). This will be probably the first sports anime I watch in years, lol.

Ansatsu Kyoushitsu: I know this opinion will be biased as I loved the first season, so I'll just mention it and put it in green.

Edit:

Boku Dake ga Inai Machi: This is just amazing. It literally catches you on the first episode. It is a bit colorful for the atmosphere, but not something that could ruin the experience. I just hope this quality and pace keeps the same.
xxdeathx
GATE season 2 - hell yeah our military squad in an alternate universe hyped show is back. Although that super NSFW scene at the beginning was quite out of the ordinary.

Divine Gate - it looks like it could be fun but there's too much stuff going on for a clear narrative
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi

DakeDekaane wrote:

blissy, isn't this Winter season?
Yeah..... Fixed. Sorry about that.

Koukaku no Pandora: There is a lot I wish was better in this show like better animation, less repetitive jokes, and much more, but the mc's stupid reaction to everything charmed me for a bit. Even though the charm will probably wear off in another episode, I'll stay a bit.
Sallad4ever
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju : I've been interested on Rakugo since Joshiraku so this anime really is a pleasant surprise for me. With the setting of showa era and the jazzy soundtrack, I totally gonna watch this anime. Though this anime won't be for everyone, what with the heavy cultural aspect on it
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu: Making a game when all you have seems to be a scriptwriter..... this is not going to end up well. Oh well, characters were slightly amusing, so I'll stay on for another ep. However, I've pretty low hopes for the show.
Navizel
Sekkou Boys - Unfunny a e s t h e t i c s

GATE S2 - Same quality as the last season which I liked. Here's to hoping it would be better than the 1st cour.

Assassination Classroom S2 - Same quality as the last season. Nothing interesting yet. Still not good but not enough to be bad. Never really found this as a really interesting anime to be honest.

Dagashi Kashi -
Kyonko Hizara
Dagashi Kashi: Can't quite grasp what the concept of this is yet. But the purple haired girl is my waifu. It seems like it could turn into a good casual watch. The characters don't seem completely unlikable but I am not fond of the Coconut dude.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
GATE S2: Same as before.

Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R: I can't describe how stupid I felt to try watching this show. So much terrible logic, fake science, lackluster singing, amazingly stupid parodies and what not.
Haruto
Myriad Colors Phantom World : KyoAni <33. it feels like im watching Kyoukai no Kanata but with diffrent Characters. the story concept are cool imo. it is funny and addicting. idk why KyoAni's Anime always addicts me to watch more <3. Characters are cool too with their unique Ability haha. Definetly gonna Look forward on this Show cuz its KyoAni \:D/

HaruChika
: uh its cool. i just dont like the intro they've made :c its like they are telling backwards the story. but other than that the anime is Good enough to impress me :). i'll look this show forward because its addicting too :)
edit : oops wrong color haha
Navizel

Haruto wrote:

HaruChika
: uh its cool. i just dont like the intro they've made :c its like they are telling backwards the story. but other than that the anime is Good enough to impress me :). i'll look this show forward because its addicting too :)
Looking forward but red? what?

Haruchika - So uninteresting. The mystery isn't particularly engaging. It's like a failed attempt at combining Hyouka at Hibike.

Prince of Stride: Alternative - Hey it's a show with HanaKana. The concept of the sport is interesting. It's based from an Otome game and the fujoshi fuel is obvious but it's only mild. It has potential so I'm not dropping it yet. I just hope they would make the start of the run more interesting than the visuals before the running starts.

Norn9: Norn + Nonet - Dropped halfway due to how bad this is. Characters are too bland. The story is uninteresting. It's your typical otome game adaptation.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Tabi Machi Late Show: Slideshows about how to make pasta and your history of making pasta is not exactly what I call entertaining

Divine Gate: A complicated mystery/drama happening in a magical school with different factions and races.... The problem is most of the show is pretty boring. There is a slightly dark theme constantly echoed, raising my curiosity, but not worthwhile to spend so much time to find out the mystery.

Bubuki Buranki:While not the worse use of CG, it still looks pretty bad. However, I really want an action series this season, so I'll give it a shot.
DakeDekaane
Active Raid: Kidou Kyoushuushitsu Dai Hakkei: Clumsy and annoying side characters, they made me cry because they were so bad. Still, I know the Sentai genre a bit and I have some hopes on it, so I'll stick with this one (I'm such a masochist).

Reikenzan: Hoshikuzu-tachi no Utage: "The overpowered guy" anime of this season maybe? This has the potential to be actually good, sadly they still leave a considerable amount of doubts about the setting, failing to attract people.

Haruchika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru: Pretty visuals, but that's all. Not my stuff, I guess.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Boku Dake ga Inai Machi: Maybe, it is just me, but this was one slow drama. I was bored for most of the show, and then someone dies, yet I still didn't really care. I didn't like any of the characters, and everything that happened felt very mellow and typical to me. I probably watched too many over the drama series to care about a single murder case.
A Medic
Dagashi Kashi: It has an interesting art style that I don't commonly see in all too many shows nowadays, the first episode was fairly all over the place and it had some funny moments. The (girl) MC is has a fairly interesting personality, and it seems that the other characters might be interesting as well. I look forward to watching this show.

Gate S2: Same great shit as S1, can't wait to see what this season brings.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Dimension W: A few small changes from the manga, but overall a decent action series with decent art, exactly what I needed from this season.

Sekkou Boys: I actually found this sort of funny, but I don't want to stare at sculptures, nor listen to their music.

Ooyasan wa Shishunki! Low budget short filled with suggestively perverted jokes, not what I care for.
DakeDekaane
Dagashi Kashi: Watched out of curiousity, since it has received some good comments. Didn't expect anything at all, but I passed a good time while watching it. Not spectacular, but not bad at all. Drawings are kind of refreshing in a time where big pupils are the trending stuff. Characters seems to be interesting in some way, for being a comedy.

Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R: For someone that already watched the OVA, both design and characters were quite better there, this seems to give more focus on the idol/singing stuff, which would ruin a bit the mahou shoujo side of it, considering they are being treated separatedly. Also, that CG is totally an alienating experience, not bad, yet not fitting.

Dimension W: Hi Solty Rei. Art is good here.

Schwarzesmarken: More Muv-Luv stuff. As much as it's nonsensical about the alien invasion (haven't seen the source material yet), drama like this is always welcome.
Kyonko Hizara
Dimension W: What is this, an actual good series? I love the art style of it and the scenes go together very fluidly. Also that main dude is pretty cool.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Hai to Gensou no Grimgar: A fairly typical living your life in an RPG world story. I don't really like the dull backgrounds, but the action was nice. I'll probably stay another ep and see if it gets better.

Nijiiro Days: A fairly cliche romance show with nothing special.
Kyonko Hizara
Schwarzesmarken: Muv-Luv af. It seems like it is worth to keep watching at least a few more episodes, but the plot right now isn't too clear aside from big aliens.
Navizel
Bubuki Buranki - Visuals are good and the CG is not bad but the story and pacing sucks. They basically killed the mother without any proper build up which made it look forced. And then suddenly, time skip. They also showed almost every character for a brief moment for whatever reason and they didn't even give a proper backstory.

Yami Shibai S3 - Not scary anymore. Last season was also a disappointment, unfortunately.

Active Raid - Are you seryes?

Aokana - I think I'd rather wait for the visual novel translation. Fuck you Gonzo.

Mahou Shoujo Nante Mou Ii Desukara - How to get a police to knock on your door: The Animation

Ooya-san wa Shishunki! - Unfunny short about a loli landlord (no pun intended). Also, How to get a police to knock on your door S2.

Ugh, too much red again. Not sure if I'm too picky or they're really just mediocre.
Justykanna
Fantastic for me to start picking up anime in this season when my college semester's about to start. I make such good decisions. xD

Active Raid: I honestly like what I see so far. It's a nice change from your every day mecha in large suits to something closer to human-sized (I'm not sure why I'm so amused by that). As long as this anime doesn't end up being "monster of the week" (or I guess enemy in this case... just a generic title), I think I'll like it. My only problem so far is that the girl that we see to start out with seems like one of those annoying types. Bit of light humour involved in this one, which is nice. We'll see where this goes but I'm happy with what I see.

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash: Oh hey, another MMO-type anime (or so I assume... they never did make it clear). I love these... when they're not done in a terrible fashion (I'm looking at you Log Horizon 2). Pretty standard setup so far but I'm intrigued to watch the growth that goes on with these characters. Only thing I'm not a fan of at all are the fact that all of the backgrounds look so out of place.

Phantasy Star Online 2: I'm already not a fan of the whole school-scene type anime that I've been seeing lately and the fact that the game takes up the little screen time that it does kinda bothers me. The plot doesn't feel like it's much of anything either. The action scenes also look pretty unclear as well, as they seem to change the lighting when something happens (near the start and near the end), which makes things hard to see. So I don't think I'll be watching this one further.

Schwarzesmarke: Turns out this one is a Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse spin-off, set thirty years earlier. Muv Luv Alternative's start was pretty decent (and brutal), but after that, I didn't enjoy much of what it offered passed the first two episodes. Anyways, it looks pretty nice and even though the (BETA part of the) plot seems to be pretty generic, I would be willing to watch this one through if it doesn't get boring real quick. My question here lies within: what's the overall plot going to be? Focused on the two sides in this war, the BETA or just the characters we are seeing here. I want to know more and I won't have as much patience here as I would with any other new anime.

Thanks for your hard work on this thread, blissfulyoshi. =)
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
You're welcome JustyKanna, but admittedly I haven't done much yet. I'll probably have v1 of the chart up soon.

Mahou Shoujo Nante Mou Ii Desukara: I don't like the manga, but screwing up the punchline for the first 2 jokes and making a medicocre series feel even worse is not a great way to start a show.

Durarara!!x2 Ketsu: The cast has gotten huge. While not a terrible episode, I feel it is going to get confusing quickly.

Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut: Not a bad apaptation of the ln, just not a very good one. Animations are nice and clean overall, but the action scenes lacked dogfighting and instead replaced it with much cheaper flashes of lights. In addition, they cut out a lot of stuff in the intro, creating a weird intro. I'll stay for a bit, but I really don't expect much, esp since I didn't care much for this ln.
xxdeathx
Aokana - Actually it wasn't that good but it certainly does have a lot of moe characters, with all the eroge adaptation hype behind it on osu. Though since it's an eroge, the only thing I'm thinking while watching the show is that the main character is gonna be having ecchi times with all of the girls later on... :)

Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut - Generic girls-only magic school battle harem LN adaptation of the season, guys! Although this is the first one I've seen where the duel (revenge for falling into the bath) gets interrupted. The main character designs are quite attractive and I have high hopes for the opening and ending songs.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Schwarzesmarken: As others have said, it is yet another Muv Luv spinoff with a lot of plot lines happening. It doesn't look that great so far, but there is potential.
[ Bloodfallen ]
Musaigen no Phantom World: Seems to be pretty good atm
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Aokana: Not the best looking show this season, but the main girl seems quite amusing, which I guess enough to convince to try watching a vn, since the adapted plotline is not expected to be that great.

Dagashi Kashi: Brain hurting jokes with lackluster animation is not worth watching
Navizel
Dimension W - Subpar dubstep songs aside, the anime is one of the few new series this season with interesting story. I just hope Studio 3Hz will not screw this up.

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime - It's on the same level as the last season. Still a good series.
Kyonko Hizara
Akagami no Shirayuki-hime 2: "Episode 13" so it was meant to be all one long season? Still good tho.
Rio-
Here we go...

Ansatsu Kyoushitsu S2 - Continuation of the last episode of the first season... The graphics are improved a little bit, expect nothing less for other thing like story and character i guess.

Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm - It actually pretty good imo. The animation aren't that well but at least the adaption is more than i've expected

Dagashi Kashi - well... I'm just watching this out of curiousity "why this get hyped so much?", and i'm quite disappointed that it wasn't something i thought it will be. Still a good watch for this season i guess and i'll try reading the manga too if i have time

Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri 2 - I like its first season, and ofc the 2nd season aswell...

Haruchika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru - same as Dagashi Kashi, but i'm more disappointed with this more than that. 3 episodes rule is a must for this, but fhana song here is good as always tho'

Musaigen no Phantom World - "KyoAni does really taking a sharp turn for this...". I can still follow the plot (in denotative meaning) so i guess i'm neutral for this...

Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu - What is this? Saekano v2? I'm still kind of curious about what will happen next, but maybe the first episode wasn't feel that special at least for me

*Still waiting for Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!, and maybe watch other anime from this season if i have time... But for now, maybe only this (bad grammar is bad)
KirmiShinigami
Boku dake ga Inai Machi: Just watched the first episode, and apart from character design, I love it! I honestly cannot wait for more episodes, and the revival thing seems to be interesting aswell! Only thing I did not like was, as I said before, character design and drawing.

SCHWARZESMARKEN
: It seemed like an interesting anime, all with the East europe, Stasi etc(I am interested in this period of history), but it does not seem very promising to me. The character design looks waayyyy too colorful for this moment of time, and for anime made in that period I'd except design similar to Monster.
-Atri-
Ao no kanata no four rhythm: Asuka is my waifu so don't kill me
xxdeathx
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! - I thought dying after pushing some stranger out of the way of a speeding truck would be the most cliche trick in the book, but their twist on this was hilarious. Kazuma and Aqua make an interesting pair. Never mind that the premise is pretty much No Game No Life's, watching them get acquainted with the world was hella fun. It's left a solid first impression, and I'm definitely looking forward to the rest.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!I was suprised how well this was animated, but while I found the first few jokes amusing, the episode sort of went downhill after a while with weaker execution of ending jokes and a extremely drawn out quick scene rotation.
Rio-
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! - I read the light novel a little, and the adaption are better than i've expected (+1 for Amamiya Sora voicing Aqua Best Girl). The Animation design doesn't look quite well compared to other series airing this season, but that is the thing that make the "RPG-themed" anime unique (like DanMachi, Log Horizon, etc). The starting story is good too and I definitely looking forward for this.
show more