forum

Poll 28: How did you hear about the game?

posted
Total Posts

How did you hear about the game?

A friend introduced me to the game.
44.09%
I read an article about the game.
1.20%
I watched a celebrity/streamer play the game.
12.14%
I stumbled upon a YouTube video of the game.
23.16%
I read about the game on a social media outlet.
2.80%
I came from another video game community.
8.55%
Other
8.07%
Total votes: 1252
Polling ended
Topic Starter
Nyquill
Its 2016, and osu! is now bigger than ever before! In the past, people were drawn to the secrets of circle clicking through word of mouth and peeking over a friend’s shoulder. Today, many prominent figures and sources helped grow the community into what it is now.

What we want to know is, how did you learn about the game? Were you awestruck at how good someone was at knocking numbered disks out of the sky, or did you chance upon a recommendation by your favorite connoisseur?

Whether or not your case is listed in the poll, let us know the specifics (author, celebrity, etc.) in the thread. The results of the poll will be featured in the last weekly of the month!
byfar
face bo o k
Endaris
Oh wow, an actual poll.
Someone introduced me to it from another video game, can't remember who it could been. Took me years to actually start playing after that(Historical graph ftw) but yeah I never removed osu! from my HDD since then.
XPJ38
Had to pick Other: I watched a video of osu! on Youtube that was not coming from a celebrity/streamer.
Hitoshirenu Shourai
I was just sitting in IRC chatting with friends and suddenly a friend was like "hey there's this new rhythm game wanna check it out" so I was like "okay sure" and here I am almost 9 years later still coming back. Love y'all~ <3
Deimos
Other: was searching for OPs/EDs or other japanese songs on YouTube and found a random osu video, lol
CXu

XPJ38 wrote:

Had to pick Other: I watched a video of osu! on Youtube that was not coming from a celebrity/streamer.
I think a lot of people probably just stumbled upon it on youtube or something. Might wanna add that as an option.
Topic Starter
Nyquill

CXu wrote:

XPJ38 wrote:

I think a lot of people probably just stumbled upon it on youtube or something. Might wanna add that as an option.
Yup! Just did that. Feel free to revote!
those
I watched this

The M
My brother showed it to me but it looked way to difficult for me so I didn't played it.
A year later were some friends talking about it and they said that there are 4 modes and explained them .So I decided to download it (and play taiko mainly)
N0thing
here it was multiple things. I saw the game from: LoL player, Youtube videos (not from celibrities) and from a friend. I then decided to test my damn old laptop. And it worked. Idk what was first, so I just chose other. :)
xxdeathx
Boxbox's League of Legends stream

Flosd

big black, scarlet rose, airman, luv letter, six trillion years overnight tragic love story, gigantic otn
Rilene
I simply tried an alternative to beatmania IIDX ok PC then I found this.
Andrea
My best friend in real life Jak64 introduced me to the game.
Mahogany
I was posting on a league of legends forum during my second attempt to get into that game and there was some dude who was full of shit bragging about how playing osu is how he got some quad kill or something because of reflexes.

I didn't care about the guy's actual post, but he included a video of his osu gameplay, and I realized it was a rhythm game, and I had loved rhythm games from my childhood because I used to have DDR and a dance mat. However, most rhythm games I'd tried to play were too complicated for me to learn and get into. Even now I still can't play Mania.

And I was like dude whatever I need stuff to play, and this game looks really interesting. So I downloaded the game, played casually Mouse only for about 3 months before getting a tablet and playing hardcore for the better part of 6 months, before I peaked out and stopped playing seriously.

What's more is that attempt to get into league was only like 1 week long, and I wouldn't have found the game otherwise. How different my life would have been if that one dude hadn't posted that one troll topic about osu, on that one specific week I was playing league and posting on those forums. Most of my online friends are people I've met through this community, so it's safe to say this game has changed my life.
Stefan
I blame the YouTuber HerrDekay and his Groundhog pass for my existance here.

Inb4 every german is for the same reason here.
Renevant
Lilypichu's stream
TakuMii
Played this game way back in 2008:

I was looking for a PC simulator for this game a la Stepmania, and found osu!. I was initially disappointed with how practically none of the maps had actual storyboarded stories... but I ended up coming back a few years later because I enjoyed the gameplay.
Espionage724
Saw a friend playing the game pretty consistently on Xfire and thought nothing of it for a while, but then I eventually decided to check it out. A little disappointed I didn't start sooner :p
HappyRocket88
I regret the day I had the opportunity to leave the game. Now I'm here... forever. XD
Sonnyc
Ouendan and EBA of course.

Edit: I wonder why there is no category for this :<
Natsu
Some friend show me the game and told me osu! is good to improve aim in FPS XD and here I'm :oops:
M a h o u
It was kind of a combination of the first choice and the second to last choice.
freedg
I was in a class and someone came into the room and started playing the game at an open computer. I thought it looked fun, googled the name and I'm still playing it today.
Kreylon
Pretty much bored with every game I had on PC and the game runs pretty much OKAY on this wooden PC of mine (though I get a massive drop of frame rate when I lost connection ==) ;3 Kappa. Also, stumbled upon WubWoofWolf's gameplay on YouTube which made me checked the game's website ONLY! Then I started playing when I'm done with all the FPS, MOBA, VN, RPG genre. Not particularly done but pretty much bored. Yeah ;p
BeatofIke
I discovered osu! back in 2010 via YouTube video on some forum thread. At first glance, the game looks very lame so I didn't bother playing it. Then a year later, one of my twin brother's online friends convinced him to try the game and he eventually gave it a try. He then re-introduced me to osu! but........due to the fact that mutli-accounting is prohibited in this game, I had to find a way to buy my own laptop computer just to give this game a try without any future problem. To my surprise, my parents bought me a new laptop for my 21st birthday (how convenient was that omg XD) and I was able to finally make my account and started playing osu! The game was fun, addicting, and very challenging. Well, here I am a little over 4 years year still playing osu! haha.
Gaia
I was browsing through guitar covers of Wareta Ringo until i came across this video > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAl9JrP5HkE and i was fascinated at how cool the game looked, so I downloaded and failed miserably XD
then about half a year later my friend Anoharu reintroduced me to this game again so here I am :3
Underforest
My history was different

I bought the game "Osu! Tatakae Ouendan!" for my Nintendo DS, I wanted to know more about that game. So I opened Google, but I was too lazy to write all the title, so I just writed "osu" and here I am. XD

Actually, my DS with that game was sold.
Anyway, this game is not bad thought. :)
Starrodkirby86
It was an article on Bemanistyle back in 2007 that led me here. But I actually don't remember that moment specifically. I only was able to just connect the dots when crawling through their web archives and matching the dates up. Back when I was totally an Elite Beat Agents junkie and was obsessed with making simfiles on StepMania...
show more