forum

Does the keys i use affect my speed ?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
EpicThoms
Hey guys ! Before getting into this topic i wish everyone a Merry Christmas :D

So. As mentioned in the title i was wondering if the keys i use on my keyboard are actually affecting my speed :| I've been watching a lot of osu! players since i started playing this game, pro players but also new players, and most of them are using lower keys of their keyboard. I, in comparaison, am using the uper keys of my keyboard (w and e). So i asked myself if the fact that most of the players i watch are using lower keys is because of a habit or because it really is more efficient ?

Thanks in advance, and once again, Merry Christmas :oops:
Nabel_old_1

EpicThoms wrote:

Hey guys ! Before getting into this topic i wish everyone a Merry Christmas :D

So. As mentioned in the title i was wondering if the keys i use on my keyboard are actually affecting my speed :| I've been watching a lot of osu! players since i started playing this game, pro players but also new players, and most of them are using lower keys of their keyboard. I, in comparaison, am using the uper keys of my keyboard (w and e). So i asked myself if the fact that most of the players i watch are using lower keys is because of a habit or because it really is more efficient ?

Thanks in advance, and once again, Merry Christmas :oops:
Normally I use q and w but for maps with fast streams I often change to z and x because it allows me to mash faster(having my fingers hooked instead of mostly stretched, I can also do this using q and w but my hand position is a bit more awkward). but for single tapping I don't notice a difference and I feel like I have more control using q and w(probably because I use q and w since I started playing).
Topic Starter
EpicThoms

xinfuzionx wrote:

Normally I use q and w but for maps with fast streams I often change to z and x because it allows me to mash faster(having my fingers hooked instead of mostly stretched). but for single tapping I don't notice a difference and I feel like I have more control using q and w(probably because I use q and w since I started playing).
I feel exactly the same. I got the impression that i could stream a bit better if i was using, for example, z and x. I haven't tried to use lower keys yet though, but this is the impression i get from watching other players :lol:
deletemyaccount
short answer: no

long answer: it depends on how the individual taps the keys (do they use their wrist? their arm? their fingers? etc).
Topic Starter
EpicThoms

Philantropist wrote:

long answer: it depends on how the individual taps the keys (do they use their wrist? their arm? their fingers? etc).

Oh, i see. So this is more of a habit than anything else ?

And this long answer made me realize that i've never actually paid attention to what i use to tap haha
silento
Personally I've been more accurate and speedy with a lower row of keys since my hand is more relaxed and doesn't lead to tension. Probably the same for a lot of players too.
Nabel_old_1
I feel more confortable using q and w, but for fast streams i move my wrist forward to hook my fingers more wich feels more comfortable using z and x.
DeathHydra
Looking at your rank, it doesn't seem like you have a problem using those keys so I'm gonna say no it doesn't
Endaris
Lower keys are default for any with english keyboard-design and another reason to use them is bigger accessibility.
When going for higher keys like QW you have close to no freedom to curve your fingers unless you play with your wrist being elevated.
That affects the way you tap and can potentially affect your speed even though I can't provide information which way of tapping is the fastest in theory.
Bauxe
It doesn't fucking matter what keys you use. You can be fast with anything, as long as they are close enough to actually press.
Topic Starter
EpicThoms
Well, thank you all for your replies :) I got the answers i was looking for :oops:

Have a nice day/evening !
ZenithPhantasm
Today I switched from my Blackwidow 2014 Tournament Edition Stealth to a Logitech K120 (yes that rubberdome) and my speed increased, I also tap my buttons more lightly now.
-sev
you gotta press s for sanic and f for fast
Vertify

Philantropist wrote:

Bingo.

@Phil
That "etc" though. Do you know people who use their toes? xD
Bunnrei

Kaienyuu wrote:

you gotta press s for sanic and f for fast
oooooOoOOH ez fc xd
deletemyaccount

Vertify wrote:

That "etc" though. Do you know people who use their toes? xD
I personally use my tongue
The Gambler
Also I just tried using sanwas for osu! and my speed went down dramatically. Never doing that again, unless I can get lighter springs.
Pituophis
I used z & x because they are the defaults.