forum

What are your thoughts on One Punch Man?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Ochinchi-sama
I haven't seen much anime when you compare me to people like you so I can't fully understand. Could you tell me an anime based on comedy that you considered funny in a clever sense and was memorable because of that humour?
Green Platinum
Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei
Ochinchi-sama
O_o That was actually next on my list, believe it or not. Hearing a description of it from a friend made the comedy sound silly so I started having doubts about watching it too soon. "A photoshopped face in the animation every episode" is what I've heard. Since it's coming from you I guess I'll watch it soon then.
Green Platinum
It's satire. The photoshopped face isn't really the comic style the series takes at all
Navizel
Overrated. Funny at times. Tatsumaki a QT.
Ochinchi-sama
Seeing as it's a Shaft anime, just knowing the title is enough to tell me that it is going to be satirical, unless the director suffered a short phase of depression. I just have a lot of trouble with trusting friends when it comes to anime; I had to experience the opening of Boku no Pico to figure out I was tricked the hard way. Well, goodbye mr despair is on the list now.

OT: Yeah, one punch.
California
I really enjoyed it and thought it was very funny at first, but as I kept reading/watching it the anime got pretty stale. Gags are recycled and everything's dead in a few seconds.
Meah
OVERKILL !
Senia-
It's pretty fun I guess and Tatsumaki is cute as a button
Topic Starter
Tbh

[ Gray Space ] wrote:

It's pretty fun I guess and Tatsumaki is cute as a button
I ship Her and Saitama
Green Platinum
What I saw of Tatsumaki was so mediocre
CodeS
One of my favorite of the season, mostly because I've been following the Webcomic since some years now.

Also Tatsumaki a QT x 2
Masato96
I like the anime so much. It's super-funny anime 'till your stomach want to explode when you laugh but in the same time the action fight scene is the best part. I'm sure this is the anime of the year.
Green Platinum

Masato96 wrote:

I like the anime so much. It's super-funny anime 'till your stomach want to explode when you laugh but in the same time the action fight scene is the best part. I'm sure this is the anime of the year.
What else have you seen this year?
And what anime comedies have you seen?
CodeS

Masato96 wrote:

I'm sure this is the anime of the year.
Best in the Parody genre for sure.
Ochinchi-sama

Green Platinum wrote:

Masato96 wrote:

What else have you seen this year?
And what anime comedies have you seen?
Green platinum questions.
It's super effective!
Camimaou
Need a second season where it is based on the ranking of the heros, and Saitama's. :(
EneT

Kamisole wrote:

Need a second season where it is based on the ranking of the heros, and Saitama's. :(
Go read the manga.
Masato96

EneT wrote:

Kamisole wrote:

Go read the manga.
I'm sure the production will make second season based on the popularity of this anime. That's my theory though. Hopefully.
Ochinchi-sama

Masato96 wrote:

I'm sure the production will make second season based on the popularity of this anime. That's my theory though. Hopefully.
I don't think the studio, Madhouse, has ever made a 2nd season for an anime with an unfinished manga. Either I'm making shit up, Madhouse decides to make a 2nd season, or some other studio will plan to animate it which will take an awful while.
Sanxu_old
Went in skeptical expecting it to just be the title gimmick dragged out for much longer than it should without anything else to make it worth watching a la Food Wars. Ended up being pleasantly surprised as the MC actually had a personality and character development, and the other characters weren't completely irrelevant decoration either. Really good show. It taking the piss out of a genre I have a general distaste for was nice too.
Ochinchi-sama
Nice sig Sanxu
Nordast
Pig God
I don't believe in life anymore.
Ochinchi-sama
Read manga up to date. I'm loving the latest arc, but similar to the sea king incident, all the buildup will probably be just another saitamanticlimax. I just hope the anticlimax is done well. And this mangaka is a God. It's funny comparing particular pages to the ones in the original webcomic.
Doomsdaddy
One of my favorite animes to date. I've not read the manga/webcomic, I like anime more to be honest (nothing against manga-fans though, and yes I have tested to read one manga-styled thing, I think it was DBZ or something).

Story-wise there are a plenty of animes I like more (even though I know it's meant to be a parody of sorts), but the fights/style though. Those are probably the best I've seen. Plus it was funny in my opinion. A plus-side is that it didn't have any real "fan service", usually it just feels out of place if fan service stuff happens in any anime, lol.

Voice acting was good, I felt like each voice suited the owners great. Especially Tatsumaki's voice fit her well, lol.

Overall, the anime is about a 8.5/10 for me. The reason it's not a 10/10 is that I like story-driven and perhaps darker animes possibly with some romance - even if that makes me sound unmanly, lol - (e.g. Mirai Nikki/Future Diary, Death Note) more, but it was a very entertaining anime regardless and I liked it for the humor and fights/style. Characters were well done too, I felt chills during Mumen Rider's little speech against the Deep Sea King.
Green Platinum
^ Mirai Nikki is an example of good romance and a story driven series? What the fuck are you smoking? You need a rewatch pronto.
Doomsdaddy

Green Platinum wrote:

^ Mirai Nikki is an example of good romance and a story driven series? What the fuck are you smoking? You need a rewatch pronto.
I'm smoking only the dankest stuff. Want some?
Draakje45
Pretty awesome ending for an anime like one punch man. The guy had to think of something and actually was able to come up with a sort-of-good ending.
I think it's supposed to be more of a comedy than anything else. If you're coming for the action, it will probably be a bit too repetitive. I liked the idea of a supremely strong super hero though. Not like they were trying to hide that he could not possibly die in any case, for a change. All in all not the best anime, but something I could enjoy for the fall for lack of good anime this fall. In terms of fighting, god eater is 1.000 times better ofc.
Green Platinum
The comedy is greatly enhanced in the anime than the manga I hope you know.

The anime is just superior in all aspects for this series.
chaee
Can't bring myself to watch it because I'm a hipster fag. Too much hype 4 me
Hidden-

chaee wrote:

Can't bring myself to watch it because I'm a hipster fag. Too much hype 4 me
I actually LOLed and spat pepsi at my screen.
Edz
Really nice animation, amazing music and all that jazz but the nature of Saitama makes character development near impossible which kills it for me.

Still a pretty cool anime though
Intone

Edz wrote:

Really nice animation, amazing music and all that jazz but the nature of Saitama makes character development near impossible which kills it for me.

on the opposite hand, I found the way Saitama dealt with rejection of his ambition/goodwill/strength by the general public very interesting. It was one of the few times he showed any strong feelings towards anything, and his character development as he dealt with this time and time again created an interesting plot dynamic.

I will be excited to see what is in store for season 2. One of the best things I liked about this anime was how well they balanced humor and "feels". It was a very enjoyable watch, though admittedly, the storyline doesn't move in as meaningful a direction as I would hope.
Ochinchi-sama
I am entertained here
EneT

Intone wrote:

Edz wrote:

on the opposite hand, I found the way Saitama dealt with rejection of his ambition/goodwill/strength by the general public very interesting. It was one of the few times he showed any strong feelings towards anything, and his character development as he dealt with this time and time again created an interesting plot dynamic.

I will be excited to see what is in store for season 2. One of the best things I liked about this anime was how well they balanced humor and "feels". It was a very enjoyable watch, though admittedly, the storyline doesn't move in as meaningful a direction as I would hope.
That's because the original creator never intended for the web comic to go anywhere and only created it as a oneshot to help improve his skills in becoming a manga artist. But then it became popular.
ruarifinn
I was hesitant at first, but so many friends told me I had to watch it. It was a great start but the jokes wore off pretty quick as they were recycled, the art and animation was amazing but it could have been so much more
Apex_old
untitled
Topic Starter
Tbh

Green Platinum wrote:

that had me laughing so hard ^ :lol:

Apex wrote:

7~8/10

Fight scenes are 11/10, but the fighting gets repetitive for an action anime. The characters need working. They feel shallow and soul-less.

Saitama is also way too pure, if any-one has that much amount of power they would grab anything they want and become evil. I cannot fathom how everyone and every government just sat and ignored a walking catastrophic weapon without doing anything.

This show also tries to be deep by complaining the bureaucracy of the Hero Association, but fails to delve in any deeper of political context.
But I guess their ignorance to his power just adds to the comedy :D
BigEarsMau
Just finished all 12 episodes last week. Maybe I should give out my thoughts about OPM.

Personally, I really enjoyed it. I love how the anime acted as a parody/satire of shonen animes in general by making the main hero, Saitama, as an OP-as-fuck protagonist but also showed him the struggles of being too OP. Story is simple yet easy to understand, the comedy is executed very well, and the characters are diverse and unique (including the weirdly designed heroes and villains). The animation by Madhouse is spectacular and the fight scenes are fucking amazing.

The only problems I encountered with this show is that some of the characters (like Genos, Sonic, and Mumen Rider) have that "Tell, don't show" backstory element shoved to their faces and that some characters (mostly the heroes) are poorly developed and lacked depth. Also, there are some plot holes that are yet to be answered and the ending, despite being straightforward, is a bit underwhelming.

However, like I said before, I enjoyed it. I give this anime a 9/10

Just wish that Madhouse make a season 2 of this
Aomi
came for genos stayed for genos <3
show more