forum

Sub-gamemodes

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +45
Topic Starter
abraker
You know how there is this thing called keymodes? While they are part of mania, why not split them up into sub-gamemode categories with their own rankings?

peppy wrote:

Why not ranking boards for each country for each key number for each unique mod combination for each state in each country for each period since the last lunar eclipse.
Wait, wait, hold on to your peppies, I'm not done! While a gamemode is defined by a certain set of rules, a sub-gamemode is defined such that the way you play is different while still following the gamemode's ruleset.

While mania noticeably has its own sub-gamemode genre, the standard gamemode has its own subgenre too, we just don't see them as often because they are not rankable... yet. Tag2/4 maps, Jubeats type maps, etc. Since they are not your typically accepted maps, they currently fall into the gimmick category. Hey, but what about this gimmick map category request then? Well anything else without a definable sub-genre, troll maps, or others can be part of that gimmick category.

FAQ:
  • BN and QAT are split up for standard, CtB, taiko, and mania now, so what would happen when sub-gamemodes are implemented?
    I see BN and QAT split up among the sub-gamemodes as well, but not as strictly as gamemodes. In sort, standard BN and QAT would be effective within Jubeats sub-gamemode and Tag sub-gamemode since in terms of mapping, it's not that much different. It should be up to them to decide whether they know how to deal with the mapping or not. Some 4k mania modders have no clue how to map 7k, and therefore don't.

Will these sub-gamemodes maps have just a map leaderboard without pp or will it be like the 4 main modes?
    The main reason why the ranked TAG maps has their PP disabled is because they required more than one finger/hand to aim at the notes. The PP formula is only applicable to single cursor aiming, and therefore those maps made it largely unfair to the overall gamemode philosophy. With the introduction of sub-gamemodes, the rank tables should be split up as the skill in one sub-gamemode is not applicable to another due to the way you play is different (mostly due to the required different input devices). That also means that that someone would need to make new PP formulas for the sub-gamemodes.

I am not sure what taiko and catch the beat sub-gamemodes there are, but I think this is a good start.
Rilene
Nice.
Bara-
YES YES YES YES YES
They need ti make SB-maps rankable (Jubeat for example)
ALL OF MY YESSES!!!!!
Rilene
I can map jubeat style but that was like 5 year ago, on iBoogie which is the jubeat simulator on Apple device.
I miss that mapping style, it would be nice for it to be here but there are something which concerns me, copyright.
Bara-
Or some certain SB tools, like Jubeat, Love Live SIF, Osuka etc.
Topic Starter
abraker
I think this is the second topic to have a forum cover.

Oh uh bump? Let's get this feature request going!
snexe
I'll have to think about this and wreck my own thread for this one.
- Marco -
You should explain better imo, who will approve this? BN, QATs? Also will these sub-gamemodes maps have just a map leaderboard without pp or will it be like the 4 main modes? :D
Topic Starter
abraker

- Marco - wrote:

You should explain better imo, who will approve this? BN, QATs? Also will these sub-gamemodes maps have just a map leaderboard without pp or will it be like the 4 main modes? :D

- Marco - wrote:

You should explain better imo, who will approve this? BN, QATs?
Huh? You should study up on BN and QAT roles. The better question would be regarding BN and QAT categorization. We have them split up for standard, CtB, taiko, and mania now, so what would happen when subgame modes are implemented? Well glad you asked! I see BN and QAT split up among the sub-gamemodes as well, but not as strictly as gamemodes. In sort, standard BN and QAT would be effective within Jubeats sub-gamemode and Tag sub-gamemode since in terms of mapping, it's not that much different. It should be up to them to decide whether they know how to deal with the mapping or not. Some 4k mania modders have no clue how to map 7k, and therefore don't.

- Marco - wrote:

Also will these sub-gamemodes maps have just a map leaderboard without pp or will it be like the 4 main modes?
The main reason why the ranked TAG maps has their PP disabled is because they required more than one finger/hand to aim at the notes. The PP formula is only applicable to single cursor aiming, and therefore those maps made it largely unfair to the overall gamemode philosophy. With the introduction of sub-gamemodes, the rank tables should be split up as the skill in one sub-gamemode is not applicable to another due to the way you play is different (mostly due to the required different input devices).
- Marco -
oh, thanks, i like this :D
Bara-
I would like to see it, and I would like to help in the ranking process of these maps :D
IamBaum
I kinda can't believe that this will actually be implemented (at least anytime soon), but i'd love to see that, therefore take a star from me :3
LastExceed
Since I am a mania4k only player I can't really judge your suggestions on the other gamemodes (although it sounds like a very good idea!), but HELL YES THIS DEFINITELY NEEDS TO HAPPEN ATLEAST TO MANIA! It's frustrating to reach the top10 of my country ranking and then being unable to get higher because I don't play 7k. Your explanation pretty much hit the nail on the head:

> Some 4k mania modders have no clue how to map 7k, and therefore don't.

It always bothered me that people who aren't familiar with mania think that different keynumbers don't make that much of a difference, even though I'd say its about as different as standard and ctb. We really, REALLY need key-specific leaderboards, at least for 4k and 7k (why are 5/6/8/9k less important? For the same reason we have a 4k mwc and a 7k mwc but not a 5/6/8/9k mwc; they're the most popular ones).

Therefore, take all my stars \ö/
Topic Starter
abraker
With the "gimmick" category now live, I'd like to still remind that this is to allow ranking of unrankable maps due certain peripherals having a clear advantage otherwise. This means allowing the ranking of TAG4 or 7k, 8k, etc maps where more than 6 keys need to be pressed, Jubeat type maps, etc by putting them in their own category.