forum

Anime Masterpieces

posted
Total Posts
show more
melloe
I haven't seen a TON of anime, but I have read quite a few manga.
I've watched Clannad Afterstory, Gurren Lagann, Xam'd, Angel Beats, Canaan -- all of which are amazing in their own right. However, including even all the manga I've read (with 1 or 2 exceptions), Miyazaki's films are the only ones I can confidently declare to be masterworks.
The Gambler
Anything from Studio Ghibli :P
Green Platinum
Personally I don't find Totoro, Kiki's, Whisper of the heart etc to be that great.
xxdeathx
spirited away and castle in the sky though
Green Platinum
Gambler said anything from Gjhibli though, Mononoke is the only one I'd even consider to be a masterpiece but it falls short for me.
Hidden-
I'll agree that I don't find all the work from Gjhibli great aside from Mononoke which is a masterpiece like Green Plat said.

Actually, I wanted to make that post to correct the Typo I've made saying that Charlotte would probably be a masterpiece, with not only being the most disappointing thing from Maeda yet but also a really disappointing anime overall.
Arief Santosa
Monogatari Series, Mekakucity Actors
Houtarou Oreki
  1. Steins;Gate
  2. Angel Beats
  3. Another
  4. Log Horizon
Hidden-

Houtarou Oreki wrote:

1. Steins;Gate
  2. Angel Beats
  3. Another
  4. Log Horizon
I agree with Steins;Gate, a bit with Angel Beats. Now, Another, was really good, kind of unique in my opinion, to the point of considering it a masterpiece, I don't know, but it's debatable. For Log Horizon, I would love to see your point of view on this anime and ask you why you think it's a masterpiece, I think it was good, had some good points, but I wouldn't go calling it a masterpiece, so Id like to see your point of view on that one.
Rumby

Rumby wrote:

Here's a list of anime I consider as Masterpiece.

1. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
  2. Code Geass
  3. Puella Magi Madoka Magika
  4. Elfen Lied
  5. Fullmetal Alchemist : Brotherhood
I'm really tempted to put ''Clannad : After Story'' there but I won't since it's just my favorite anime.
Adding Zankyou no Terror/ Ping Pong : The Animation.
186cm
Steins;Gate and Fullmetal Alchemist.

Green Platinum

HiddeNation wrote:

Houtarou Oreki wrote:

1. Steins;Gate
  2. Angel Beats
  3. Another
  4. Log Horizon
I agree with Steins;Gate, a bit with Angel Beats. Now, Another, was really good, kind of unique in my opinion, to the point of considering it a masterpiece, I don't know, but it's debatable. For Log Horizon, I would love to see your point of view on this anime and ask you why you think it's a masterpiece, I think it was good, had some good points, but I wouldn't go calling it a masterpiece, so Id like to see your point of view on that one.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/HoutarOsu
Their MAL may answer some questions
Sharpless
I'm honestly surprised no one has mentioned Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni or Fate Zero. Higurashi is to this day the only thing I've ever watched where I could simultaneously love and hate a character (with a change in perspective about every 4 episodes) and has an exceptional way of telling a story. And although Fate Stay/Night ruined the ending of Fate Zero for some people, it was still fantastically done.
Hidden-

Green Platinum wrote:

Oh... right. I think everyone will do this in the beginning, because they don't have any other anime from the same genre to compare with, so it's easier to consider the few they've seen as masterpiece, but instead of asking people question like that, I should browse their profile in search for MAL profile, that way it would answer my questions most of the time.

I'm a huge total biaised fan of Accel world and he even gave a higher grade than me O: !
Green Platinum

HiddeNation wrote:

Green Platinum wrote:

Oh... right. I think everyone will do this in the beginning, because they don't have any other anime from the same genre to compare with, so it's easier to consider the few they've seen as masterpiece, but instead of asking people question like that, I should browse their profile in search for MAL profile, that way it would answer my questions most of the time.

I'm a huge total biaised fan of Accel world and he even gave a higher grade than me O: !
Yep, I didn't give anything an out of 10 rating till I hit 400 animes watched for this very reason.
Kuroridi
5 centimeters per second.It's a movie but it' an absolute masterpiece for me,not even clannad was able to depress me as much as 5cm per second did.
greedis52
Zankyou no Terror is one of the best anime I have ever watched. The story is great and really well written. Also it has a lot of action and depth.
Zafufu
My opinions aren't anything new....
But I'd put Madoka Magica, Clannad/Clannad After Story, and Eureka Seven in that category.
Senia-

greedis52 wrote:

Zankyou no Terror is one of the best anime I have ever watched. The story is great and really well written. Also it has a lot of action and depth.
I liked it until Five was introduced, especially first two episodes were great. Didn't read all the pages but I'm 95% certain nobody mentioned Kemono no Souja Erin
chaee
Why isn't The Rose of Versailles mentioned anywhere here. That shit is monumental. Educational too
Green Platinum

chaee wrote:

Why isn't The Rose of Versailles mentioned anywhere here. That shit is monumental. Educational too
That would require the people who post here to actually watch anime
chaee

Green Platinum wrote:

chaee wrote:

That would require the people who post here to actually watch anime
Sigh..

Sad, but true.
R e n g e
Two quiet anime: Non Non Biyori, Ookami to Koushinryou.
CodeS

R e n g e wrote:

Two quiet anime: Non Non Biyori, Ookami to Koushinryou.

I love you so much.
Green Platinum
Non Non Biyori is essentially a worse version of Aria. Nothing special about it.
CodeS
One could argue th-

>Green Platinum

Ok nothing to see here.

-------------------------------------------------

To not go 100% out of topic:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Green Platinum
I assume neither of us put Non Non Biyori as a masterpiece though
Hidden-

Green Platinum wrote:

I still gave 7, and there's a lot of garbage that I gave between 3 and 5 that people called masterpiece in here, it could be way worst :P .
Green Platinum

HiddeNation wrote:

Green Platinum wrote:

I still gave 7, and there's a lot of garbage that I gave between 3 and 5 that people called masterpiece in here, it could be way worst :P .
Believe me, I know.
Edz
m8... m8.... Bakuman, Hajime no ippo and Berserk. Ain't nothing Close to those three.
Williemeister
Hajime no Ippo, Bakuman. enough said m8, watch em
Intone
My definition of anime masterpiece would be something that really blew my mind, got me thinking/"feeling", and had very few flaws (art/production/animation/storyline flaws/poor character development/overharem...just a few major flaws I see in today's anime).

I gave these anime a score of 10/10 on myanimelist:
Fullmetal Alchemist
Hunter x Hunter
Darker than Black: Kuro no Keiyakusha
Nodame Cantabile
Stein's Gate
Psycho Pass
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
Nagi no Asukara
Fate Stay Night: UBW
Grisaia no Meikyuu: Caprice no Mayu 0
Hidden-

Intone wrote:

My definition of anime masterpiece would be something that really blew my mind, got me thinking/"feeling", and had very few flaws (art/production/animation/storyline flaws/poor character development/overharem...just a few major flaws I see in today's anime).

I gave these anime a score of 10/10 on myanimelist:
Fullmetal Alchemist
Hunter x Hunter
Darker than Black: Kuro no Keiyakusha
Nodame Cantabile
Stein's Gate
Psycho Pass
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
Nagi no Asukara
Fate Stay Night: UBW
Grisaia no Meikyuu: Caprice no Mayu 0
To be honest, you should either wait to have seen more anime before grading a ten and optimally even grading them at all, because at the moment, 1/6th of your list are tagged as a masterpieces, and it's bias by the fact that you haven't seen a lot of animes, so since those are new to you, you have the impression that they are incredible in every aspect, but if you would watch more animes, you would eventually see that it was kind of a illusion covered by the fact that it was something you've never seen.

EDIT: btw, the reason I'm saying that, is that it affect their global rating on MAL, it's not a lot but if everyone would be careful on that, it would create a slightly more accurate rating in my opinion.
elliwz
I really recommend higurashi no naku koro ni for anyone who likes mystery, horror and pychological anime. I haven't watched enough anime to say that it's top 1%, but it has to be damn close