forum

[Rule Change] Distance between notes and spinners

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kurokami
This topic is about to change the current existing Catch the Beat rule. Instead of having it only for spinner+note the other case note+spinner should be included as well. Even if the spinners are skinable in Catch the Beat the fruits can still blend into them too much. This depends on the bpm mainly.

This image is taken on 210bpm with 1/4 note distance: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/3962874
Now with 1/2 distance: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/3962884
And here is a screenshot for 1/1 distance: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/3962888

As you see at the first example, allowing such a distance on lower difficulties might confuse new player and cause them to get a miss. There are cases where the fruit is inside of the spinner if they are closer than 1/2. Therefore the most usable distance is 1/1 for lower and 1/2 for higher difficulties. Same applies for the notes after the spinners.

1. Appropriate spacing must be left between notes both before and after spinners. This is to ensure readability of upcoming notes. Suitable spacings are 1/1 for Cup and Salad difficulties, and 1/2 for Platter and higher difficulties. 1/4 could be acceptable in some cases where the bpm is low enough.

Discuss~
JBHyperion
Discussed some things with you in #ctb, basic summary of my opinions:

1. Rule change to encompass both note+spinner and spinner+note distances
I feel having two separate rules for each case when they're effectively doing the same thing is senseless and confusing. To avoid getting bogged down in text, amending the rule seems like the best idea - clearer rules make for less misinterpretation and fewer DQs.

1. Usage of 1/2 spacing on easier diffs at low BPM
Whilst I agree that a minimum of 1/1 spacing on Cup diffs is totally fine to ease readability for new players, I feel 1/2 spacing could be used on Salad diffs at reasonably low BPM without too many problems. However this brings up a subjectivity argument as to "when is the BPM low enough?" etc. that is more fitting for a guideline than a rule, so this kinda goes against my first point of simplifying things lol

1. Usage of 1/4 spacing on any diff
Your discussion states 1/2 is the minimum for higher diffs, but the actual wording of the rule retains the "1/4 could be acceptable in some cases where the bpm is low enough." from the current RC. I went with this in my original draft since it was already there, but honestly I'd rather axe this entirely. 1/4 spacing for note+spinner could possibly be acceptable in some cases, but on spinner+note it's just annoying to play. I vote for a consistent 1/2 before/after on higher diffs.

Would be interesting to see some others' thoughts on this.
Ascendance
I think it's an acceptable change, as maps get dq'd for something that isn't stated in the rules so I think this makes it more fair to mapset owners as well. Plus I hate seeing timelines like this

edit: oh wait I'm not a BN what am I doing here
JBHyperion

Ascendance wrote:

edit: oh wait I'm not a BN what am I doing here
The RC apply to anyone who maps for rank - therefore all these people (yourself included) have a right to discuss them and give suggestions for change and improvement. Every opinion or suggestion, no matter how big or small, can help make for a better mapping and modding community.

If you don't speak up now, don't complain when the changes have already been made ;)
MBomb
Honestly, I'm not really a fan of the whole note-spinner rule, mainly because newer players won't be trying to spin, so it seems a bit strange to think that new players would miss notes trying to catch bananas. However, spinner-note, the spinner can distract newer players, so I understand it that way.
JBHyperion

- Magic Bomb - wrote:

Honestly, I'm not really a fan of the whole note-spinner rule, mainly because newer players won't be trying to spin, so it seems a bit strange to think that new players would miss notes trying to catch bananas.
The issue I have with note + spinner is that for newer players who aren't able to read patterns as easily/quickly, it's easy for certain instances to "blend into each other", especially with certain skins and/or combo colours. In the short reaction window available, this might lead to a player ignoring a note they think is part of a spinner and breaking combo, which is frustrating.

Enforcing a minimum distance between note+spinner will make this far less likely to happen, as the patterns become easier to read and notes/spinner objects become easier to distinguish from each other.
PakaChan
please 10 minutes between spinner and notes ty

edit: from my experience, small distance between note and spinner are frustrating no matter the difficulty or if they are note-spinner/spinner-note
ztrot
please give reasonable input, or just don't bother posting.
Topic Starter
Kurokami
Included here: t/435598 so its time to lock this one.