forum

Changing main finger + Pain on top of my hand.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-MuhQ
SoI went from index to middle finger as my main and in my new hand posture I just raise my hand little bit with wrist and my hand is more tensed than normally I guess, its not too different with my old posture, pic related, its my hand and the posture.

I did the change in second previous Sunday when I had some 6 hours DT session (which is normal I do that almost every weekend) with breaks and flexes etc. so I started to use middle finger as my main finger because I can just straight up tap faster with it and kinda react faster and I felt good with playing like that, at the end of my DT play session I felt some pain (as far as I remember it was only in wrist) and because I was doing well I didn't maybe stop right away, but played maybe 1 hour more with small pain and then stopped.
I think the wrist pain was just due to my new slightly different hand position and just playing a lot, I believe it was just normal "healthy" pain.

Then I took few days break and the pain was gone from my wrist, so no problem with that, I played little bit at the week and I'm not sure if I had any pain, I can't remember, but last Saturday I started to have some pain (just enough that I didn't feel good playing anymore) on top of my hand in the middle up near middle finger, I guess its called handtable or something?

So I didn't play that much on Saturday and I skipped playing on Sunday and today I started playing little bit and it still starts to hurt especially if I play with middle finger as a main. It doesn't hurt that much though, actually just little bit, I'm gonna play some and see if it starts to hurt more or no and if it does start to hurt more I then will keep longer break, maybe until next weekend.

I didn't have pain in that part of my hand ever before (do you think this pain is "healthy pain"?) and I could smash hard and have nothing but "healthy pain" related to gaining stamina and stuff.

TLDR; Have you experienced pain in top of your hand in the "middle up" and what did you do about it?

And also do you know any flexes that could help regarding this random weird pain on middle top of hand?

And do you guys think that this position is okay and I could get used to it or is it bad and I should go back go the old one? Or do you have any good positions to recommend for tapping with middle finger?

Sorry for long and messy post, English is not my main language.
I Give Up
Last time I tried to main index I got rsi.
NotQuiteMelvin
To be honest pain is completely normal and is a part of the "osu experience" lol, but single tapping with the middle finger is indeed more painful, especially on DT maps, so I would say it's pretty normal, that's why I rather alternate or use my index instead, even though my main is the middle finger
buny
no and if i did i would play more
Topic Starter
-MuhQ

a loli wrote:

no and if i did i would play more
To ensure that RSI? Sounds like good idea kappa... I ask all of this because I want to play more but I don't want to get RSI or something..

KukiMonster wrote:

Where did you have the pain then?
f i z i k
I had the same pain when I played faster maps with my fingers only, probably overused them. Went away after I took a couple months break. Start using your wrist more or don't play maps that are too fast for you
ZenithPhantasm
Take oxycodone. Ezpz 300 bpm
RaneFire
If the pain is on the back of your hand, put some ice on it while taking a 30min break. Then wrap tape around the back of your hand and your palm, and try again. It's caused by the tendon being in a state of tension all the time, where it raises above the level of the skin normally. The tape will help keep it down.

You already have a towel in the picture, so there shouldn't be any pain at the base of your wrist.

If the pain is in your finger, swap fingers temporarily. I do this quite often, since I also made the change from index to middle. Middle is faster though, index is probably more accurate... I think... Hard to tell.
I Give Up

-MuhQ wrote:

KukiMonster wrote:

Where did you have the pain then?
It was sharp pinch.

I don't know why people tell me middle is faster. I wanted to switch coz with index I can just open client and single tap any bpm up to 270bpm without warmup. But with middle I have to warmup for years and still struggle to single tap anything faster than 250bpm or slower than 160bpm accurately. I can also never accurately single tap anything below 120bpm with middle. I don't understand this game :S
buny
it's preference
ZenithPhantasm

RaneFire wrote:

If the pain is on the back of your hand, put some ice on it while taking a 30min break. Then wrap tape around the back of your hand and your palm, and try again. It's caused by the tendon being in a state of tension all the time, where it raises above the level of the skin normally. The tape will help keep it down.

You already have a towel in the picture, so there shouldn't be any pain at the base of your wrist.

If the pain is in your finger, swap fingers temporarily. I do this quite often, since I also made the change from index to middle. Middle is faster though, index is probably more accurate... I think... Hard to tell.
Can you explain why one of my hands can click far faster than the other hand?
RaneFire

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Can you explain why one of my hands can click far faster than the other hand?
Nope! I only know my own body :P

Suppose I should substitute "my" in a few places in my previous post.
Topic Starter
-MuhQ

RaneFire wrote:

It's almost in the same spot as in Kukimonsters picture just little bit above.

I still had the pain lately and I just skipped from playing thursday and yesterday and tried to play today and I feel little pain again, though now I just wrapped some plastic around my hand and it feels little bit better now, so this should block the tendon from raising to the level of skin now? Though I could use something better, what kind of tape would be good for this? What about bandage, would that be good? I have that.

RaneFire wrote:

No pain in finger. I also feel that same pain when I click with index now. Did you experience some pain like this too then since you changed finger too? And if yes, did that take long to go away?
RaneFire

-MuhQ wrote:

Though I could use something better, what kind of tape would be good for this? What about bandage, would that be good? I have that.
I use athletic tape because it's more comfortable, although the pain only really comes back if I'm really playing hard, which is almost never nowadays. So I hardly have to use it.

-MuhQ wrote:

No pain in finger. I also feel that same pain when I click with index now. Did you experience some pain like this too then since you changed finger too? And if yes, did that take long to go away?
Well generally if you get pain in your finger, you should stop immediately. For me, since most of the pain comes from single-tapping very fast with a wrist action, I find that switching tapping fingers takes a lot of strain off the injured one. My streaming technique is rather easy on my fingers by comparison, so I have no problem continuing after switching. This is probably just me though, since some people get bad RSI from streaming.

Sometimes I am fine the next day, other times it takes 3-4 days for my finger to get back to normal. As long as you don't overdo it the recovery time will be short. Overdoing it will cause long-term injury.
Topic Starter
-MuhQ

RaneFire wrote:

I use athletic tape because it's more comfortable, although the pain only really comes back if I'm really playing hard, which is almost never nowadays. So I hardly have to use it.
Ok I guess I should buy the athletic tape and try it since even this plastic wrap seems to be helping little bit. The pain comes back? That doesn't sound good though.

RaneFire wrote:

Well generally if you get pain in your finger, you should stop immediately. For me, since most of the pain comes from single-tapping very fast with a wrist action, I find that switching tapping fingers takes a lot of strain off the injured one. My streaming technique is rather easy on my fingers by comparison, so I have no problem continuing after switching. This is probably just me though, since some people get bad RSI from streaming.

Sometimes I am fine the next day, other times it takes 3-4 days for my finger to get back to normal. As long as you don't overdo it the recovery time will be short. Overdoing it will cause long-term injury.
I said I don't have pain in fingers..ever. Just below fingers on the back of my hand.

Also: " It's caused by the tendon being in a state of tension all the time, where it raises above the level of the skin normally. The tape will help keep it down."
So will this go away if I keep using the tape or what? I mean I think my hand was tensing up when I used index as main but I still never got this problem.
And the tape will help keeping what down? the tension? or the tendon?

Sry for many questions and thanks for helping!
The Gambler
Try a jackhammer. This one is rated for 1000 hits per minute
http://www.cat.com/en_US/products/new/a ... 46546.html
RaneFire

-MuhQ wrote:

I said I don't have pain in fingers..ever. Just below fingers on the back of my hand.

Also: " It's caused by the tendon being in a state of tension all the time, where it raises above the level of the skin normally. The tape will help keep it down."
So will this go away if I keep using the tape or what? I mean I think my hand was tensing up when I used index as main but I still never got this problem.

Sorry, I misread. I have a weird index finger tendon though, so I'm not sure if this applies to you. My index finger tendon bends sideways under stress and hits my middle-finger tendon which is quite painful after a while. That's why I don't use it to single-tap, because it hurts a lot sooner.

The tape will essentially brace your hand so you can't put that tendon in a state of tension, at the cost of a little bit of mobility.

I can't tell you if it will go away if you keep using the tape, but it should help. It's just tape, it's meant to be temporary.

If you are still experiencing pain days later, you should probably search for possible problems with your posture or technique.
Topic Starter
-MuhQ

RaneFire wrote:

-MuhQ wrote:

Sorry, I misread. I have a weird index finger tendon though, so I'm not sure if this applies to you. My index finger tendon bends sideways under stress and hits my middle-finger tendon which is quite painful after a while. That's why I don't use it to single-tap, because it hurts a lot sooner.

The tape will essentially brace your hand so you can't put that tendon in a state of tension, at the cost of a little bit of mobility.

I can't tell you if it will go away if you keep using the tape, but it should help. It's just tape, it's meant to be temporary.
Okay I think I will actually go to the doctor and see what he says and if he can't help then maybe give a break until my hand doesn't hurt at all and try play again.. It's so fucked up that I can't even single tap with index anymore because it starts to hurt... I just played a bit and my whole hand started to feel fucked up.. Gotta go mouse only now lol..

Edit:

RaneFire wrote:

If you are still experiencing pain days later, you should probably search for possible problems with your posture or technique.
The funny thing is that all I changed was the main finger and that's it, so my posture is quite the same. Maybe I need to let my hand heal and go back to Index as a main even though I can react and tap slower with it..
Yolshka
If your hands hurt stop playing immidiately!!!!!!!
mouse or tablet !!!!!!

EDIT : doesn't matter which one.
Topic Starter
-MuhQ

ShadyAngel wrote:

If your hands hurt stop playing immidiately!!!!!!!
mouse or tablet !!!!!!
Eh please read the thread first, I play mouse but its the other hand that hurts lol... And I stopped whenever it starts to hurt and I will go see the doctor tomorrow.
Topic Starter
-MuhQ
Doctor confirmed kind of an early stage mild rsi (or something like that) that can be cured by just not playing for 2 weeks and changing back to the old playstyle because with that position my hand was often tensing for long time... So guess I'm going back to index..
buny
doctor just doesnt want you to pass his rank

play more
The Gambler
How about being comfortable switching tapping fingers on the fly? Might decrease accuracy at first but saves you from tensing your fingers. Rrtyui is known to switch tapping fingers on the fly, along with FunOrange and SapphireGhost just to name a few.
E m i

a loli wrote:

doctor just doesnt want you to pass his rank

play more
post of the year
Pituophis
I had this. I just played through the pain. It went away.
show more