forum

Transition to new sensitivity

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
timemon
Ayo, people.
I have been using 1200DPI 6/11 for over a year. I decided I would try changing my mouse to 800DPI (A lot of people use it so I'm tempted to try.).

I changed my DPI to 800.
What surprised me, though. Was how fast I was able to adjust to the new DPI.
I was playing the game at a competent level 15 minutes after I just changed my DPI. (Not on the same level I normally do, of course)
I don't know much about this stuff, but I would expect my muscle memory to completely screw me over.

How was your experience switching to different sensitivity?
Yolshka
I switched from using 1600 DPI to 800 DPI which is kind of a big a jump. Note that at the time I was also using mouse acceleration so I turned that off too.
It took me days until I could adjust fully, but after that I noticed a significant improvement in my performance.
I am slow to adjust to things. :oops:
buny
Your reading skills are transferred when switching input styles and settings; muscle memory is little importance because you should be good enough to be visually aware of your cursor pathing. I haven't done mouse gameplay since my first few months of osu! but I can still play 5 star maps easily with a mouse instead of tablet.

Muscle memory is important for flashlight though
Bauxe
While not sensitivity, I was able to increase my tablet area about 30%, taking about 15 minutes to adjust.

It really isn't that difficult.
I Give Up
lol I change my dpi/resolution like a million times. Start 1000dpi/720p -> 1 month 1600dpi/720p -> 3 month 2000dpi/720p -> 1 month 1600dpi/720p -> 2 weeks 1200dpi/720p -> 2 weeks 800dpi/900p -> 1yr 400dpi/900p -> 2 month 800dpi/900p might be using this one from now on.

From my experience 400dpi is best but require a really good mouse and even better mouse surface which I don't have. 800dpi is a little bit worse but my aim is now as good as it was before at 400dpi except no more weird cursor behaviour due to cheap cloth pad. It felt easier to learn lower sens than to increase it as well.
KanoSet
whenever i change my dpi only fast jumps would be annoying but that's won't last long and it doesn't happen that often tho
you'll be fine
Infevo
The better you become with your mouse/pen the quicker the adjustment to a new sens/area.
ZenithPhantasm

Bauxe wrote:

While not sensitivity, I was able to increase my tablet area about 30%, taking about 15 minutes to adjust.

Mouse and tablet are a bit different
Vuelo Eluko

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Bauxe wrote:

if someone is good they will quickly catch on to new settings quicker regardless, whereas a newer/intermediate player will be basically shattered by it at first
it really comes down to reading
Endaris
Mouse is always relative movement unlike tablet which is why dpi-changes don't have such a massive influence. It only affects the very border of what you could play as muscle memory starts to matter there(no time to look what you are doing so muscle memory may take over)
I changed my dpi 3 times so far and one time my mouse along with my grip and I got no problems with this.
Bauxe

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Bauxe wrote:

I accidently played with mouse on 1.25x sensitivity and didn't really notice a difference to 1.00x, other than a little bit worse aim.

I wouldn't say they are all that different.
ZenithPhantasm

Bauxe wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

I accidently played with mouse on 1.25x sensitivity and didn't really notice a difference to 1.00x, other than a little bit worse aim.

I wouldn't say they are all that different.
They use a different method of detecting motion so I would say they're very different.
Bauxe
Yes, but increasing sensitivity decreases required movement, similar to how shrinking area decreases required movement.
ZenithPhantasm
Yes but with mouse increasing sensitivity decreases drift, decreasing sensitivity increases drift which takes getting used to. With tablet drift is not a factor. You merely have to rewrite your existing muscle memory with the new one.
FrzR
My transition from 800 dpi to 400 was amazing. After 1 month of training to get used to, I have more control over my mouse and be more accurate. Helped me reach my 4k pp goal this year. The dpi setting was inspired by AmaiHachimitsu and Cptnxn and I am doing well so far, albeit some trouble with DT and other fast nomod maps.
-MuhQ
Went up from pretty much 600dpi to 1400, it was smooth because I went like 200dpi at time, I used 1000 dpi for around 2 months though and going from that to 1200/1400 was bit more difficult, could be because at that dpi I started to notice how unsmooth my mousepad was etc.

Also I use 1920x1080 resolution. And I am moving mouse with my whole arm and not with wrist (at least not much) or something like that.
I Give Up
Someone mucked around with my mouse setting I am actually using 1600dpi not 800dpi all this time... LOL

Changed to 1000dpi only couple songs all good again.
ZenithPhantasm

KukiMonster wrote:

Someone mucked around with my mouse setting I am actually using 1600dpi not 800dpi all this time... LOL

Changed to 1000dpi only couple songs all good again.
So you were only playing 800 dpi before that? Lol
I Give Up

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

I hardly notice much difference switching between 400-800dpi. I was using 400 for a long time tho before I got g402 but sometime after that it changed :D
ZenithPhantasm

KukiMonster wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

I hardly notice much difference switching between 400-800dpi. I was using 400 for a long time tho before I got g402 but sometime after that it changed :D
The difference between 400 and 800 dpi is a 100% increase in sensitivity. I doubt you wont notice it lol
I Give Up
Ur right. It is a big difference and I do notice. Turns out when I changed the dpi to "800" my bro instead of using dpi button he changed the 800 step to 1600 in logitech setting he is computer noob. Coz normally he clicks dpi button twice to get to his setting but because I had it at 800, he clicked it up to 2000/3200? and got confused and messed around with setting. I was using 400 all along before that. mystery solved 8-)
ZenithPhantasm
Im not sure how you notice and didnt bother checking.
I Give Up
Play 400dpi for 1yr then change it to 800/1600/2000 all very fast you can't tell the difference.
vincaslt
I used to play with 1200, then gradually switched over to 700, played like that for a while, then switched back to 900, 1000, and then to 1300 and now back to 1200. I have never had big problems transitioning, but I found it extremely helpful to learn low CPI before playing high, as you gain mouse control.