forum

Please add in a #Singlish Channel for osu

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2,317
Topic Starter
[Suguri]
Nearly everyone in the OSU SG group wants #Singapore pleaase :|
We're a small diverse community. It's nice if we could all have a common channel to talk. We wouldn't be Singaporeans if all of us went to our seperate channels. ;)
There's also a #Malaysia so please, #Singapore :)

EDIT:
#Singlish because it's a mixture of languages all Singaporeans use, kinda like a dialect ;)
Trosk-
Isn't Malaysian the official language of Singapore? Why would you want this channel? Channels are created for different languages, not for different countries. For example, #spanish is for people from Spain plus people from South America. Basically spanish speakers. So, #malaysian is for malaysian speakers. Also, #malaysian doesn't seem very populated.

Abraxos

Trosk- wrote:

Isn't Malaysian the official language of Singapore?

English is taught as a linking language, so most, if not all SG players have a proper command of English.

I understand how it seems to people that having a #SG chat seems redundant since we all can speak the same language everyone does. It can be argued on how this shouldn't be passed, since USA and England and many other countries that speak English don't have a dedicated channel.

It would be nice to have a place to talk about more relevant things about the community I belong to though.
Deimos
USA and England have their own language channel, it's called #english
Topic Starter
[Suguri]

Abraxos wrote:

Trosk- wrote:

English is taught as a linking language, so most, if not all SG players have a proper command of English.

I understand how it seems to people that having a #SG chat seems redundant since we all can speak the same language everyone does. It can be argued on how this shouldn't be passed, since USA and England and many other countries that speak English don't have a dedicated channel.

It would be nice to have a place to talk about more relevant things about the community I belong to though.
^^
Rtyzen

Trosk- wrote:

In case this isn't a joke, no, Malaysian is not a language
plaatinum

Trosk- wrote:

Isn't Malaysian the official language of Singapore? Why would you want this channel? Channels are created for different languages, not for different countries. For example, #spanish is for people from Spain plus people from South America. Basically spanish speakers. So, #malaysian is for malaysian speakers. Also, #malaysian doesn't seem very populated.

80% of singaporeans don't know malay
neonat
SPOILER
2015-06-05 18:15 deadbeat: subforum maybe?
2015-06-05 18:15 deadbeat: channel i'm not so sure
2015-06-05 18:16 deadbeat: channels are generally based on languages, not countries
2015-06-05 18:16 neonat: but the subforums are language specific as well
2015-06-05 18:17 neonat: so the thing is we don't know what we should be requesting
2015-06-05 18:17 neonat: but the main gist is somewhere singaporeans will know to go to know more
2015-06-05 18:17 neonat: somewhere that is quite obvious
2015-06-05 18:18 neonat: and our interaction is quite high, due to the fact that our country is small and easy to travel and meet
2015-06-05 18:18 neonat: but being unable to contact in the first place, it's hard to bring them into the community
2015-06-05 18:19 deadbeat: again, channels are generally language based
2015-06-05 18:19 deadbeat: not country
2015-06-05 18:19 deadbeat: you could try request one, but i'm not really sure how far it'll get

So yeah, channels are language based, so getting one for a community just isn't gonna progress at all honestly. That's how I see it right now.
Ayako

Trosk- wrote:

i speak malaysian too
'
wailord2700

neonat wrote:

SPOILER
2015-06-05 18:16 deadbeat: channels are generally based on languages, not countries
2015-06-05 18:17 neonat: so the thing is we don't know what we should be requesting
2015-06-05 18:17 neonat: but the main gist is somewhere singaporeans will know to go to know more
2015-06-05 18:18 neonat: and our interaction is quite high, due to the fact that our country is small and easy to travel and meet
2015-06-05 18:18 neonat: but being unable to contact in the first place, it's hard to bring them into the community
2015-06-05 18:19 deadbeat: you could try request one, but i'm not really sure how far it'll get

So yeah, channels are language based, so getting one for a community just isn't gonna progress at all honestly. That's how I see it right now.
Change from #Singapore to #Singlish does it count
neonat

wailord2700 wrote:

neonat wrote:

SPOILER

Change from #Singapore to #Singlish does it count
Highly doubt it since Singlish isn't recognised
He Ang CTB
Is it possible to add a feature to Osu! whereby a group of people can create their own private channels? o3o
leepdesu

neonat wrote:

Highly doubt it since Singlish isn't recognised
more like a dialect
neonat

He Ang Erika wrote:

Is it possible to add a feature to Osu! whereby a group of people can create their own private channels? o3o
t/19891
Topic Starter
[Suguri]
Change from #Singapore to #Singlish does it count[/quote]

neonat wrote:

SPOILER

There's even a #Cantonese couldn't the sg community get a channel like #Singlish. It's like a mixture of different SEA languages thrown into a bowl of english words. Plus the majority of Singaporeans would probably go over to that channel :P

No matter how bleak, I'm still fighting for the cause
twirle
I guess it might make sense to have #Singlish. Would be great to have chat channel that we can casually chat about more relevant things happening around in our own local dialect that everyone speaks in on the ground. Singapore is afterall, a multiracial society with various dialects and languages.

Here in Singapore we would usually speak in Singlish or 'Singaporean English'' instead of proper English. Of course, this is not a recognised dialect or language. But it were to be described, it would be something like 'broken english with a mesh of Malay, Hokkien, Tamil, Cantonese, and Teochew'.

Not that we aren't able to speak perfect English, but unless we're speaking to each other about something really serious that needs to be put across clearly or just a foreigner in general and we don't want to embarass ourselves by speaking in what is gibberish to them, we'll then code switch to our actual primary language that is taught in schools, which is none other than English.

Just to make it clear once and for all, English for Singaporeans is not a linking language, it is the language that we are educated in school and are supposed to speak in but we choose to otherwise in favour of the more casual and tremendously amusing Singlish. In front of foreigners, we merely never show the Singlish speaking side of ourselves.

But you could say that since Singaporeans can speak English, why not everyone just join #english or rather #osu and be happy with a global chat channel?

That'll be because you'll probably catch no ball when we sukasuka juz tok to our local ah bengs and ah lians liddat. #english read liao the mod go wtf is dis shit, dey trying to fuck up wo de channel. Tamade, everything swee swee den got this bunch of jokers come and do funny shit. Den everyone all tio banhammer and kena diamdiam. gg lor. we want tok singlish also cannot den zemoban sia, suck thumb sua.

I know the above paragraph looks like partial gibberish, but believe me when I say that we actually speak like that in front of each other.

If I remember correctly, there was an advance party that was brave enough to try to have a Singlish conversation in #Malaysian. They got shot down with silences.

That said, I really hope #singlish gets passed, it would greatly help unite the Singaporean community as to have a chat platform to freely speak our dialect. We do have 30k active users after all and that might justify for some form of activity in #singlish should it get passed.

:? :? :?
Whoops, looks like I went full ham.
You'll never see me type like that randomly on a non-Singaporean forum ever again.

tldr: If we actually speak Singlish in any other channel, we'll get silenced for talking gibberish. Singlish is also a local dialect, hence people might feel that this is an underhanded way of getting a chat channel for their own country. On the other hand, we're all extremely envious that Malaysians have their own channel where they speak Malaysian, so why shouldn't we?
leepdesu

twirle wrote:

That'll be because you'll probably catch no ball when we sukasuka juz tok to our local ah bengs and ah lians liddat. #english read liao the mod go wtf is dis shit, dey trying to fuck up wo de channel. Tamade, everything swee swee den got this bunch of jokers come and do funny shit. Den everyone all tio banhammer and kena diamdiam. gg lor. we want tok singlish also cannot den zemoban sia, suck thumb sua.
so hai knnbccb i rmb i talk like that to a non-sg wah fuck they say i not educated ninabu

twirle wrote:

If I remember correctly, there was an advance party that was brave enough to try to have a Singlish conversation in #Malaysian. They got shot down with silences.
It didn't end well.
kimchi97
Yes i support having a #singlish group chat please make it happen tyvm bye
ATGNKC39
Lim Beh like your idea
neonat

-LeeP- wrote:

It didn't end well.
We all know that was a stupid move
He Ang CTB
I'm not going to be surprised if the Singlish channel ended up becoming a real thing, the actual English-speaking people will spectate our channel and enjoy a good long laugh behind their screens about how foolishly we seem to talk XD

I bet any English speaking audience reading this thread thoroughly will be like: o3o ... So the were speaking part English all the time?!? ........................................... WHAT?!?!?
[ Matcha ]
I wanna eat some dank kfc
neonat
That one time Singlish got on BBC
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33809914
Topic Starter
[Suguri]
Singlish :Eh bro u wan lepak at Jcube we ti qiu and then get sum kfc
English :Hey man, you wanna stop by CapitalMall? We can go play some soccer then go grab some KFC before we leave!

Anyway nice meme never thought of Dank KFC
leepdesu

ATGNKC39 wrote:

Limpeh like your idea
ftfy

Bu77shi wrote:

Anyway nice meme never thought of Dank KFC
mountain jew
Risa
I like this but who is gonna mod the channel
Ayako

Reset- wrote:

I like this but who is gonna mod the channel
reliable people like -LeeP-, Histoire, wailord2700 and Ayako
Karuta-_old_1

Ayako wrote:

Histoire
Histoire
Histoire?

well that aside, maybe you guys can consider as Singapore does have an active community at least in osu! general with #26 country rank
leepdesu

Ayako wrote:

Marcus (handsome) and Neonat
Topic Starter
[Suguri]
What about me :<

In all seriousness I believe those guys can moderate hue
tbh we should pick someone active to moderate I can't believe we got so far
Hype for #singlish
Surono
i jus kan do teh 4L4y engirzh.
Ayako

-LeeP- wrote:

Ayako wrote:

Marcus (handsome) and Neonat

Yes neonat please
Histoire

Karuta- wrote:

Ayako wrote:

Histoire
Histoire
Histoire?

well that aside, maybe you guys can consider as Singapore does have an active community at least in osu! general with #26 country rank
wow
wow
WOW
hehe
ya sia #suppork la

新加坡 boleh
Ayako

handsome wrote:

ya sia #suppork la

新加坡 boleh

walaowey u liddat how peepol undersitand
show more