forum

osu!mania critisism is so unfair

posted
Total Posts
show more
-Konner-
I don't see what everyone's problem is. The arguments between osu!mania and sm are so pointless.

Which is why you should only play auto converts with 4K mod.
princesswell
Just play and have fun.
Kamikaze
what are osu!maniacs
don't do autoconverts kids
Bobbias
First off: complaining about how an outside community sees osu in osu's forums is hilariously pointless.

Second: osu! has a reputation for having a bad community (have you ever looked at the rest of the forum, or #osu? it's enough to make me gag on the stupidity sometimes) Osu! was generally seen as a complete joke in terms of actual rhythm games by most outside communities.

Third: There are legitimate problems with osu!mania, so it's not much of a surprise that people would hate on it. Nothing is more annoying than seeing a game you consider flat out bad pick up a growing community while your own game of choice seems to be slowly dieing out (stepmania has been around a long time now, and has seen it's community dwindle over the past years).

In short: this thread was completely pointless. If you want to complain, feel free to head over to FFR and see what happens (hint, this is not a good idea).
Valedict
as a serious response

I mean, I have NEVER seen an osu!mania talk badly towards a Stepmania player as the occasional rude one does to us, and I have never seen any osu!mania players who dislike Stepmania to the point of anger.

you don't know where most players come from nor can you make the assumption that every player who is mean 2 u :( is from Stepmania

considering you're the only one who thought making a thread like this was a good idea means you don't know this community well enough to justify it being made

you also seem to be getting irrationally mad at "stepmania players" and that's silly given how often other players from other games come here and complain about how bad osumania is
BilliumMoto

Bobbias wrote:

If you want to complain, feel free to head over to FFR and see what happens (hint, this is not a good idea).
ily
Guilhermeziat
OSUMANIA FUCKING SUCKS HAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHA
Kreator014
^^^^^^^^ me irl
Ayaya
osu so bad, cosmetics ftw tho :)
akuma123
Osu!Mania > Stepmania :v

:run:
Frustration
mania is bad and you should feel bad
Fullerene-
yeah i agree tbh

stepmania is a festering shithole of people with mental health issues and elitists that can't accept anything with LONG nTOes

remove stepmania, thank you for bringing this to the attention of the osu!!!mAbnia community :D
Redon
waaah osumania sucks but i'll still come here every time and play it
Vulkin

-Kamikaze- wrote:

don't do autoconverts kids
*does converts*
Tidek
There are 3 kinds of people:

- Stepmania fa*s
- LR2/O2jam fa*s
- osu!mania fa*s
- and space time lovers
Aqo
I play osu from time to time and enjoy it when playing good charts but the game has its flaws that keeps me from playing it as much as other games.

If you want to defend osu, here are its upsides:
1. very easy to use map editor
2. built-in irc client + multiplayer with servers
3. map uploading server
4. ability to spectate other players

All of those are things that other rhythm games tend to lack and I'd love if they had them.

However osu has downsides in other aspects such as:

1. very limited skinning
2. default and cap map settings that lead to bad habits and hurt improvement rate
3. low mapping standards
4. immature community

All of those downsides sometimes make osu frustrating to play or talk about with others, but if you simply ignore all the annoying people and only play with friends, ignore all the shitty maps and only play the good ones, use logical map settings and try to play well, and find a decent skin, then osu can feel like a pretty alright game that's fun to spend time on.

So there you go. Here's a fair criticism. Now quit 4K because it's shit, come play 7K and join LR2. we have cookies, you'll be overjoyed.
Redon

Aqo wrote:

3. low mapping standards
I think you misspelled "literally non-existent"
abraker
osu! is just more player friendly. It's like having autoaim in shooter games. Thats why it's taken as a joke. Where the players come from, stepmania, o2jam, or LR2, you dont get the friendly game mechanics mania has.

In a nutshell:
Imagine playing shooter game with no gui and a shooter game with gui and autoaim.
Hestia-

abraker wrote:

osu! is just more player friendly. It's like having autoaim in shooter games. Thats why it's taken as a joke. Where the players come from, stepmania, o2jam, or LR2, you dont get the friendly game mechanics mania has.

In a nutshell:
Imagine playing shooter game with no gui and a shooter game with gui and autoaim.
what are you even talking about
did you forget to turn off auto mod?
OperaMini0

Hestia- wrote:

he's probably talking about mashing being easy, clearing being easy and the way that long notes work.
Feerum
Osu!Mania is so fun c:

Just ignore the "yolostepmaniaisbetterandosumaniaisshit" ppl and you will have fun ^-^
abraker

OperaMini0 wrote:

Hestia- wrote:

he's probably talking about mashing being easy, clearing being easy and the way that long notes work.
Yea, I probably exagerated it a bit too much.
Tidek

OperaMini0 wrote:

Hestia- wrote:

mashing being easy = you will get shit score anyway
clearing being easy = HP10 is so easy ;<
Long notes = atleast they are better than Stepmania holds LMFAO /me runz

just having fun of this thread
Valedict
stepmania is best
puxtu

Tidek wrote:

- and space time lovers
and you are one of them
Bobbias

Redon wrote:

Aqo wrote:

3. low mapping standards
I think you misspelled "literally non-existent"
See, the funny thing is that we have standards. They're just the wrong standards. It makes me sad to see good maps forever stuck in the graveyard because of the absurd rules we have for ranking maps here. Having a full difficulty spread doesn't mean that every difficulty in that map is going to be good quality and fun to play. Neither does requiring hitsounds. Neither does the modding process for that matter. There are dozens of unranked beatmaps that are more fun than the majority of ranked maps out there that nobody plays because if your map isn't ranked, 95% of the community will never know it exists.
Tidek
Ok, serious now

@Bobbias

To be honest, most of people who are complaining about what you called "ranking standards" dont have a single map ranked and they have no idea how that process look like. I can agree that 2 years ago ranking process was very restricted and it was impossible to rank something harder, but unfortunately those people still live in past, at the moment ranking really hard stuff isnt that problematic like it was 2 years ago (of course, its still not perfect). Just look on standard mode and some new ranked mania maps.

It makes me sad to see good maps forever stuck in the graveyard because of the absurd rules we have for ranking maps here.
Most of very good maps are stuck in graveyard not because they are unrankable or something (because they are EASILY rankable these times), but cause of that mappers are too lazy to push map forward into the ranking process and they prefer to complain on forum that how the ranking process is bad here instead of push map forward, its funny lol. (rest of maps are dump/overmap stuff, but there isnt a lot of them)

Having a full difficulty spread doesn't mean that every difficulty in that map is going to be good quality and fun to play.
What do you mean here? If mapper is scared that easier difficulties wont be as good as his the hardest difficulty, then ask for GD? There is a lot of options.
(for me its more being a lazy ass, because I dont believe that if you can map good hard diff then you cant make anything easier same good)

Neither does requiring hitsounds.
Well, agree, But since we have some tools that makes doing it a lot easier and faster, then I dont care honestly lol (unless its a marathon map)

Neither does the modding process for that matter.
Modding process isnt necessary thing in a ranking process, for example t/382232 Its all depends of quality of map.
OnosakiHito
Saying that certain standards are wrong but doing nothing against it is redundant, Bobbias. Nevermind how obvious it might be for an experienced person. Coming from Taiko, I can actually understand yours and other people's feeling in this matter when certain standards in osu! interfer with the gamemode you like and might even disturb its evolvement. It's especially a problem for older people like us, who come from older communities with possible more refined standards in certain matters, which can sometimes even lead to heated discussions. But that doesn't mean that you can't treat these problems and request certain changes or find a middle way in some way. Especially for someone who is -as I heared- so well known in the mania community like you, Bobbias, who probably has a lot of experience as well, should it be possible to help this community and lead it into an approximately right direction.

So instead of taking it as it is, people should treat the problems. Taking action. Else, if this isn't possible, I would just refer to what Aqo said.
Aqo

Tidek wrote:

mappers are too lazy to push map forward into the ranking process
20 modding queue posts and 5 personal requests and no mods

#lazyness
[Crz]Player
osumania dongs

E: my 101st shitpost here
Tidek

Aqo wrote:

Tidek wrote:

mappers are too lazy to push map forward into the ranking process
20 modding queue posts and 5 personal requests and no mods

#lazyness
I dont want to know which queues and which ppl you were requesting lol
Bobbias
just wanted to respond to a few choice comments:

Tidek wrote:

Ok, serious now
Having a full difficulty spread doesn't mean that every difficulty in that map is going to be good quality and fun to play.
What do you mean here? If mapper is scared that easier difficulties wont be as good as his the hardest difficulty, then ask for GD? There is a lot of options.
(for me its more being a lazy ass, because I dont believe that if you can map good hard diff then you cant make anything easier same good)
I'm referring to the many players who actually don't understand mapping particularly well. It's very common for new mappers to believe that they're making good maps when they're making something only barely rankable after various mods. It's common that whichever difficulty they focused on ends up being the best in their map.

Osu!mania has been out for what, a bit over 2 years now? 2 years is hardly any time for a community in a game like this to develop it's overall understanding of the subtlties of making charts for music games. And it's very apparent even in many of the 'experienced mappers' here.

Neither does the modding process for that matter.
Modding process isnt necessary thing in a ranking process, for example t/382232 Its all depends of quality of map.[/quote]

True, but not having mods makes it very hard for a map to get BN attention. Not to mention how few mappers could actually make something that deserves to be ranked as is.

OnosakiHito wrote:

Saying that certain standards are wrong but doing nothing against it is redundant, Bobbias. Nevermind how obvious it might be for an experienced person. Coming from Taiko, I can actually understand yours and other people's feeling in this matter when certain standards in osu! interfer with the gamemode you like and might even disturb its evolvement. It's especially a problem for older people like us, who come from older communities with possible more refined standards in certain matters, which can sometimes even lead to heated discussions. But that doesn't mean that you can't treat these problems and request certain changes or find a middle way in some way. Especially for someone who is -as I heared- so well known in the mania community like you, Bobbias, who probably has a lot of experience as well, should it be possible to help this community and lead it into an approximately right direction.

So instead of taking it as it is, people should treat the problems. Taking action. Else, if this isn't possible, I would just refer to what Aqo said.
Much of my issues are with the ranking criteria or ranking process design, and are with decisions already made which I disagree with. I voiced my disagreements in threads while those issues were discussed and was denied, usually with little in the way of proper explanation. Since then I've taken to pointing out the issues publicly because there's no other real option for me. I can't make loctav or peppy change their mind by 'doing something' other than trying to point out where their decisions are causing problems.
nebbii

Tidek wrote:

mashing being easy = you will get shit score anyway
You can play certain parts semi-precisely and use your super strategic mashing strats to mainly non-rainbow 300 parts that would usually need skillful precision for super cool S ranks!

Tidek wrote:

clearing being easy = HP10 is so easy ;<
With the hp refilling back up within seconds leaving no punishment at all! please replace or remove this abomination of a hp bar

Tidek wrote:

Long notes = atleast they are better than Stepmania holds LMFAO /me runz
comparing shit with trash!

abraker wrote:

In a nutshell:
This actually sums it up really well :D
_Kemo
My personal feeling is that mashing is also easy in o2jam.

At least osumania has a relatively tight judgment standard, although still easier than LR2/IIDX.
OpenSource
osu mania defense is unfair
ReTLoM

[Crz]Kemo wrote:

My personal feeling is that mashing is also easy in o2jam.

At least osumania has a relatively tight judgment standard, although still easier than LR2/IIDX.

you think so ? i can easy pass lvl 35-40 converts in osu but i die to almost all of them in O2jam if u play on HX and the Song has high BPM than u die easy and fast + very low HP regen. the fact is if u mash in o2jam u will lose faster HP than missing in o2jam because a Bad (50) let you lose more HP than a miss
Tokiiwa
i like osumania lol
Bobbias
In O2Jam on hx (life drain is different for each difficulty), It's very punishing to miss, especially if you miss an LN. What Kemo means by mashing is mashing the correct pattern with bad timing. The BPM must be quite high before the timing windows in o2jam become anywhere near as strict as timing usually is in o!m, so it's easy to hit all goods in o2jam and still be 'mashing' by o!m standards.

The difference I'm pointing out is that while some people think of mashing only as being unable to hit a pattern at all and just flailing at the keyboard to pass, some people consider anything less than very accurately playing the pattern to be mashing.
ReTLoM

Bobbias wrote:

some people consider anything less than very accurately playing the pattern to be mashing.

ahhh ok i understand now ty for pointing it out
Cuppp
Look its this thread again. Starts off with some stupid topic then derails to hating/defending the game and 2009 memes.

Literally every week its the same thing.

jej :arrow:
show more