forum

What dpi should I play with?

posted
Total Posts
show more
sottovoce
Play how you like, but most of the top mouse players use a lower DPI. Doomsday uses 1500, but I think most use 800 or less.
ZenithPhantasm
Anything lower than 1600
Infevo
terms like "low dpi" and "high sens" really aren't meaninful and don't express anything other than a subjective idea of sens perception.

Your "perfect" dpi depends on:
  • technique, grip, style
    anatomy of your hand (size, flexibility)
    resolution, window resolution
    preference
    windows settings, osu! settings (multiplicators)
disregard one of these factors and your whole statement becomes useless.
KanoSet

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Anything lower than 1600
Topic Starter
Amnesian
thx all for advice, going to try get used to 1500 dpi.

Infevo wrote:

terms like "low dpi" and "high sens" really aren't meaninful and don't express anything other than a subjective idea of sens perception.

Your "perfect" dpi depends on:
  • technique, grip, style
    anatomy of your hand (size, flexibility)
    resolution, window resolution
    preference
    windows settings, osu! settings (multiplicators)
disregard one of these factors and your whole statement becomes useless.
I don't have pics of my hand showing my grip and have no clue what you mean by technque and style. I hold my mouse up against my palm.
My resolution of my screen is 1920x1080, osu! is the same as my screen. I'm going to ignore preferences since I will get used to whatever I'm going to try.
No osu! multiplicator settings and I'm using raw output.

If this info helps you Infevo, please suggest a dpi.
Infevo
this info shouldn't be supposed to help me but rather you. and as long as i lack just one of the factors i will not be able to even think about giving you any constructive help. neither do i think that anyone else would be qualified to do so. you're the only one who is capable of finding it out.
ZenithPhantasm
450 dpi
Infevo

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

450 dpi
you're the best, man! ^^

btw. 1 post to 3k. your post count is growing faster than my pp...
Sh0keR
I would recommend 800 dpi
YamiHikari
Anything above 1600dpi is cancer probably
ZenithPhantasm
400-1000 dee pee eye is what I find is optimal. Most mice have optimal native dpi's at this range. Anything higher is stupid and uncontrollable.
Happy 3K forum posts to me wheee.
Christopaz
Welp, I'm so sad people dishing out against high DPI.

I got used to 2400 DPI, maybe I should go lower if other people do that too...
A Medic
800 dpi
Endaris
300-700 for palm grip, 700-1600 for claw, 1400-2400 for fingertip(after multipliers) also depends a lot on resolution. But I'd think that these are the dpi-areas you want to move in with the different grips, 3k seems a bit too high for me.
otoed1
lets go 2 dpi!
ZenithPhantasm

Endaris wrote:

300-700 for palm grip, 700-1600 for claw, 1400-2400 for fingertip(after multipliers) also depends a lot on resolution. But I'd think that these are the dpi-areas you want to move in with the different grips, 3k seems a bit too high for me.
That's completely wrong.
Fingertip grip actually has the greatest range of movement. I use fingertip grip at 450 dpi and have no such problem.
Qenomo

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Endaris wrote:

That's completely wrong.
Fingertip grip actually has the greatest range of movement. I use fingertip grip at 450 dpi and have no such problem.
That's not necessarily wrong. Fingertip can be generally conceived as being the best grip for high DPI.
Endaris
It depends a lot on mouseshape but in general it's hard to securely grip your mouse with a fingertip grip and then move it fast over big distances due to low dpi without tensing your fingers superhard(which is not good) or running into the danger of losing control over the mouse.
Not saying it's not possible but there can be problems.
ZenithPhantasm

PheysHunt wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

That's not necessarily wrong. Fingertip can be generally conceived as being the best grip for high DPI.
For high dpi you want stability which palm grip offers. Fingertip grip is by far the least stable grip but gives very high agility and range of motion at the expense of stability.
ZenithPhantasm

Endaris wrote:

It depends a lot on mouseshape but in general it's hard to securely grip your mouse with a fingertip grip and then move it fast over big distances due to low dpi without tensing your fingers superhard(which is not good) or running into the danger of losing control over the mouse.
Not saying it's not possible but there can be problems.
This my biggest problem with my G303. The mouse too narrow which is why I MIGHT be getting a CM Xornet 2 when it hits the shores of US.
Christopaz
I just feel like playing fingertip while at low DPI decreases your stamina a lot.
-MuhQ
I'm palm grip player and during my 7 months osu career I slowly went from 600 to 1400 dpi and I use fullscreen 1920x1080, my experience is that high dpi help you so much!!! But it makes you a bit less precise but that can be corrected by playing a lot and gaining muscle memory or something..
ZenithPhantasm

Christopaz wrote:

I just feel like playing fingertip while at low DPI decreases your stamina a lot.
It really does. I got somewhat used to it by playing DT+Relax for months.
Topic Starter
Amnesian
thx all for advice.
Topic Starter
Amnesian
I've really improved since I switched to 1500 dpi, was a very good decision. and again, thx all for advice