forum

Inconsistencies with tablet

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Qenomo
Okay so I drew a quick diagram to show:

This is assuming that the style of which you play is with the tripod grip on a large active area+resolution, just requiring pen tilting ResidentSleeper.

So with you tilting your pen at 45 degrees from higher up compared to lower down: you will be moving the tip of your pen a greater distance. Obviously this is an exaggeration of how much someone would be moving their grip up and down. By having the slight difference in angle to distance ratio every time the pen is picked up; I am guessing would cause inconsistencies and perhaps explains why people need 'adjusting' to the pen in warming up.

Just an idea I thought about when weighing out the pros and cons of mouse vs tablet. Tell me what you think, because I haven't seen anyone bring this up.
IppE

deadbeat wrote:

General Discussion is for non-osu! related topics.
This belongs to Gameplay & Rankings.
Topic Starter
Qenomo
Oh, sorry, can it be moved?
Stefan
Done.
E m i
?
chainpullz
Don't forget tablet drift.
ZenithPhantasm
There is no inconsistency. Graphics tablet do not detect tilt (unless you have one of the high ends one which I doubt you do). It merely uses a grid of coils to detect the position of the internal chip inside the pen using electromagnetic resonance.
Topic Starter
Qenomo

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

There is no inconsistency. Graphics tablet do not detect tilt (unless you have one of the high ends one which I doubt you do). It merely uses a grid of coils to detect the position of the internal chip inside the pen using electromagnetic resonance.
I'm not talking about the angle of the pen nib. I'm talking about the angle of which the pen is being held, correlating to the distance the pen nib moves.
Topic Starter
Qenomo

chainpullz wrote:

I've heard about tablet drift, however is this really a thing? Apparently it's a bug. Wouldn't it only happen if the cursor is confined to the window?
ZenithPhantasm
The nib is a peice of plastic with no electronic component.
Topic Starter
Qenomo

Stefan wrote:

Done.
Thanks
chainpullz

PheysHunt wrote:

chainpullz wrote:

I've heard about tablet drift, however is this really a thing? Apparently it's a bug. Wouldn't it only happen if the cursor is confined to the window?
It happens whenever the component of the force that your hand exerts on the tablet parallel to the table exceeds the force of friction.
Topic Starter
Qenomo

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

The nib is a peice of plastic with no electronic component.
Whatever the point of reference is, i'm talking about if you hold the pen from a slightly higher point from normal, the distance of which the point of reference is that the tablet detects will be greater if the angle is kept the same and the angle is the same. I suggest looking at the picture in the original post. Thanks for replying though.
Topic Starter
Qenomo

chainpullz wrote:

It happens whenever the component of the force that your hand exerts on the tablet parallel to the table exceeds the force of friction.
I don't quite understand
Karuta-_old_1
it only happens when you have stopped playing for so long that you temporarily forget how to use it

most tablet players don't have problems cursor dancing, drawing doodles with it while they are playing
FieryLight
People don't worry about this because they play knowing that the cursor position corresponds to where a marker about 1 cm up your pen is. The angle of that marker does not affect where the cursor will be on your monitor. Just remember that your nib is not that marker.

I think chainpullz was joking about tablet drift. He was just saying that it's when you drag your nib on the tablet it's tablet drift.
chainpullz

FieryLight wrote:

People don't worry about this because they play knowing that the cursor position corresponds to where a marker about 1 cm up your pen is. The angle of that marker does not affect where the cursor will be on your monitor. Just remember that your nib is not that marker.

I think chainpullz was joking about tablet drift. He was just saying that it's when you drag your nib on the tablet it's tablet drift.
Yes/no. I hover but keep my hand/wrist in contact with the tablet at all times and on fast jumps (ie. arles maps) there is enough force between my wrist and the tablet to occasionally overcome the force of static friction either between the tablet and my mousepad or the mousepad and my desk. Aside from the rare occasion where my entire tablet shifts over a centimeter, this is on a very small scale (think fractions of a milimeter each jump). Aside from being from a different cause, it's no different than the cumulative error of mouse sensor technology which we refer to as mouse drift.

Edit: The joke being that it's usually such a small amount of drift that it doesn't actually make a difference similar to the magnitude of error of a top tier mouse sensor.
Topic Starter
Qenomo

chainpullz wrote:

FieryLight wrote:

Yes/no. I hover but keep my hand/wrist in contact with the tablet at all times and on fast jumps (ie. arles maps) there is enough force between my wrist and the tablet to occasionally overcome the force of static friction either between the tablet and my mousepad or the mousepad and my desk. Aside from the rare occasion where my entire tablet shifts over a centimeter, this is on a very small scale (think fractions of a milimeter each jump). Aside from being from a different cause, it's no different than the cumulative error of mouse sensor technology which we refer to as mouse drift.

Edit: The joke being that it's usually such a small amount of drift that it doesn't actually make a difference similar to the magnitude of error of a top tier mouse sensor.
Oh I have encountered this. It can be solved with better rubber feet for the tablet or taping it down to your desk.
Topic Starter
Qenomo

FieryLight wrote:

However the inconsistancy is still present. This would sugest that using a mouse would be more consistant, negating mouse drift.
ZenithPhantasm
Mouse always has drift no matter what you do because of mouse sensor inconsistencies due to a variety of reasons which Im not going to list. All you need to know is the most accurate optical ICS CMOS sensor available to the consumer market is only 99.5% accurate.
chainpullz

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Mouse always has drift no matter what you do because of mouse sensor inconsistencies due to a variety of reasons which Im not going to list. All you need to know is the most accurate optical ICS CMOS sensor available to the consumer market is only 99.5% accurate.
To elaborate, both mouse and tablet sensors have some amount of error. The difference being that tablet doesn't use it's last poll to determine the location of it's next poll so the error is bounded. A mouse sensor on the other hand uses it's previous location to compute it's new location so the error adds up over time. Afaik the error from a mouse sensor is only relevant when you move it (ie. a mouse sitting still for X polls won't add error on those X polls). Also, the error isn't unidirectional so some mouse error will cancel out other mouse error.

Thus it's probably safe to conclude that the more stable your aim is the less relevant mouse drift is. Unless your hand is shaking incessantly (even then I'm still skeptical) if you have a 99.5% accurate sensor you shouldn't have issues outside of possibly long maps with no breaks to reset drift during.
ZenithPhantasm
What? Optical sensors are ICS sensors. They calculate movement by using frames taking by the sensor which is then processed by the MCU to calculate how far the sensor moved between frames. Polling has nothing to do with how it determine its current location. Its merely how often and how fast the MCU is sending movement data to the USB. I already explained in our skype group how there are OTHER factors that affect sensor precision.
chainpullz

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

What? Optical sensors are ICS sensors. They calculate movement by using frames taking by the sensor which is then processed by the MCU to calculate how far the sensor moved between frames. Polling has nothing to do with how it determine its current location. Its merely how often and how fast the MCU is sending movement data to the USB. I already explained in our skype group how there are OTHER factors that affect sensor precision.
Talking about the polling of the sensor, not the usb transfer.
ZenithPhantasm

chainpullz wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Talking about the polling of the sensor, not the usb transfer.
-_- Same thing.
chainpullz

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

-_- Same thing.
Not really. Even if multiple sensor polls are used for a single position calculation the intuition remains the same and that's all that matters. Unless you are actually in the business of designing a mouse sensor you don't need to really know more than that.